PDA

View Full Version : Can a safety switch be installed on the MR3???

jim762
10-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Ok I may get flamed for this but, last time i played I had 2 accidental discharges. Luckily I had a barrel condom on. I know i turn the switch off but some how it got turned on, I set the gun down and it went off. Another time i was walking (I know i turned it off) again the gun went off. Now for my question, Is there any way to install a safety switch or second on/off switch? I might be able to figure it out, but was wondering if any one has already done it.

bigred76
10-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Cut the line to the capacitor and put a 3-prong, two position slide switch in it. That'll cut off the circuit to the capacitor and any electronic way to fire the gun (mechanical would be a worn striker).

On the non-helpful side... if you can't keep one switch off, what makes two any better? :confused:

jim762
10-10-2008, 12:36 AM
You have a point about two switches, but most real fire arms have more than one safety. I was thinking of putting it in an out of the way spot. Plus the stock switch doesn't really have any resistance to it and just inadvertently brushing with your hand will turn it on.

bigred76
10-10-2008, 12:59 AM
I know exactly what you're saying, don't get me wrong at all. My point is merely that the switches you will find will be exactly like the stock switch, plus or minus a couple sizes and gauges. You COULD modify an Model 1911 style hump switch in, but that'd take a LOT of work. You know what I mean, right? The one on the back of the grip? It'd do exactly what you want, but reliability as far as making sure it goes off every time you want it to... that might be another issue.

jim762
10-10-2008, 01:06 AM
I know the one you are talking about. I thought of that, and your right, there could be a reliability problem. My other thought was a pressure switch like the ones used for laser sights, placed near the thumb. I'm not really sure if i am going to do it yet, just getting some ideas of how to hook it up. Thanks Red.

bigred76
10-10-2008, 01:27 AM
No prob, anytime you want to bash ideas around the hedge at *yawn* 1:30am, just post up or PM me.

EDIT: Actually, you could do that, and use a jewel like the Ion does for it's on/off switch. It's just a simple switch, and some epoxy, a drill, and a jewel would do it like nothing.