PDA

View Full Version : Any Military on here?

jim762
10-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Was just wondering if there are any military members here? I am retired Navy and my wife is Active duty with Navy security. We are currently living in Okinawa Japan. All of the people we play with are either active duty Navy security, active duty marines or veterans. it makes for some very intense games. So let me hear from any active duty or retired military.

DFSniper
10-07-2008, 07:47 PM
my dad's active duty. MVS1 just got stationed in Germany, big daddy d is in hawaii, and i think there may be one or two others.

jim762
10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
thought there would be more than that on here. any way just thought i would ask

spyderpaintball
10-08-2008, 08:13 AM
I am currently looking into/filling out paperwork for Navy OCS.

irishwarrior
10-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm too young to join but the majority of my family is either active-duty or retired.

Blackhawk0
10-08-2008, 02:41 PM
If i keep my grades up im going to USAFA to become a fighter pilot... if im not accepted then im going to the USMC to hopefully be enrolled in scout/sniper training...

DFSniper
10-08-2008, 02:43 PM
fun. the air force academy is awesome, we used to go visit (well, mostly to use the archery range) when we were stationed at Carson.

vikingshadow
10-08-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm a teacher. I'm on the front line fighting for my life (oh, and that kid's education thing) every day!

Hossy
10-08-2008, 04:06 PM
I believe MR2 Woodsballer is also about to join the Navy.

LostCause
10-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Well im future, i was given a four year rotc (offical now) first round for all my top schools, now im just deciding wwhich school i like best (Norwich University, University of Alabama, or Mcdaniel) then after that ill be a officer in the Army! HOOAH!

DFSniper
10-08-2008, 04:11 PM
hmm, now that i think about it, we used to have a lot more before the old forum crashed: AJ (AF), jeep (Army?), gunny (retired marine), recon (ex-army, didn't he work for Blackwater?)... just to name a few off the top of my head.

jim762
10-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Well to all those who are joining, Good Luck. I was in for 21 years..(yes i'm an old man) Best thing I ever did.

DFSniper
10-08-2008, 04:26 PM
my dad's at 19 now. he got commissioned at 15, so he's decided to stay for the full 30.

did you retire in japan? thats one of the few places on my list of countries still to visit.

extrabonez
10-08-2008, 04:32 PM
long ways off but 3 1/2 yrs till outta high school and then looking to join navy SEALs or Marine Recon...my dad is retired marines too tho but he doesnt paintball to much anymore..

LostCause
10-08-2008, 04:37 PM
first off, work your butt off and swim...yes swim lots. for either, Marine Recon is hard as anything to get in. Knew a guy who was a beast running and strength wise, only reason he didnt make it was he failed his last swimming test if i remember right.

jim762
10-08-2008, 07:26 PM
I retired in virginia. I live in Japan, since my wife got stationed here 3 years ago. If you get the chance to go to Japan, take it!!! great place I love it here!!!! I agree with LostCause....swim alot. I worked with the Navy SEALS for 4 of my last 5 years. My job now still keeps me in contact with them. Thats all they do is run and swim!!!

extrabonez
10-09-2008, 04:01 AM
ok lol good thing because those are my favorite things to do lol. idk what my time for swimming is but i run cross country right now and freshman yr im on varisity

big_daddy_d
10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Active duty Army here a little over 9 years in. Stationed in Hawaii but getting ready to move to Ft. Campbell Kentucky :D

jim762
10-14-2008, 01:19 PM
I've been to Fort campbell for work. Was only there for 2 days but seemed like a nice place. We are getting ready to move to Lemoore Ca. in a few months. It will be good to get back to the states for a while. I won't have to wait weeks to get the stuff i order!!!

big_daddy_d
10-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Been to lemoore, had buddies stationed there at the vet clinic. Talk about out in the middle of nowhere. You may like it though. Close to Monterey etc...

speed
10-15-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm a sophomore in high school, looking at the marines when i get out

big_daddy_d
10-15-2008, 05:37 PM

research all your options, some lucrative signing bonuses and college money are being floated around for some jobs other combat MOS's.

DFSniper
10-15-2008, 05:44 PM
my best friend was offered $100,000 signing bonus for..crap, it escapes me... the one where you work with computers... his wife got $60,000 (i think) for going in as an MP.

jim762
10-15-2008, 07:43 PM
I wish my wife was getting a bonus. She is Navy Military Security (MP). I do know Navy SEALS are getting big $$$$$, since they are all getting out and going to Blackwater where they can make more money and have less restrictions and BS.

jim762
10-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Been to lemoore, had buddies stationed there at the vet clinic. Talk about out in the middle of nowhere. You may like it though. Close to Monterey etc...

thanks for the info. I looked at the area on google earth and it looks pretty flat. She has family in LA so thats not to far and we like outdoors stuff, like bicycling and running. I can always find something to do.

jim762
10-16-2008, 02:35 PM

Good for you. I personally didn't consider the Marines, because i have this hatred for getting shot at..lol.

big_daddy_d
10-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Good for you. I personally didn't consider the Marines, because i have this hatred for getting shot at..lol.

I hear that...

jim762
10-17-2008, 02:46 PM
I was lucky enough to have avoided the middle east, but my wife has been there twice and have lots of friends that have been there. Also a few that didn't make it back.

buffblackbird2002
02-02-2009, 04:49 AM
I am a Veteran. Served just over 4 years in the USAF before they TDRL'd me. For those who dont know, thats Temporary Disability Retirement List. Basically long story short, a virus (they think) attacked my heart two years into my enlistment and it took them 2 years to medically retire me. I was stationed at Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, LA. Worked on the B-52H as a crew chief for those first two years, then they moved me behind a desk as a maintenance dispatcher and finally moved me to a deployment/ mobility manager position to finish off my stay. i loved every minute of my shortened career and hope to get back in. My heart condition has improved greatly and the docs at the VA recommend me going back in to the higher ups in the Air Force. Im just waiting for a result of my medical review board.

RSX99
02-02-2009, 07:06 AM
4 year Navy vet here, IS2 SW with a 3910. Stationed on the USS Kearsarge LHD3 from 99-03. Good experience but if I could do it over again, USAF all the way.

As for the members in high school that want to get into the Marines, Army or spec ops, consider this, what will you do when you get out of the military if you do not decide to stay? IMO sign up, but sign for a MOS that will expedite your schooling for a career on the outside.

I had a few friends that went SEAL. Physical fitness is a must but you have to be able to cope, it's a huge mind game. If you can cope, you can overcome the physical aspects of the training.

Sorry to hear about your health woes blackbird. Hope for the best.

DFSniper
02-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I am a Veteran. Served just over 4 years in the USAF before they TDRL'd me. For those who dont know, thats Temporary Disability Retirement List. Basically long story short, a virus (they think) attacked my heart two years into my enlistment and it took them 2 years to medically retire me. I was stationed at Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, LA. Worked on the B-52H as a crew chief for those first two years, then they moved me behind a desk as a maintenance dispatcher and finally moved me to a deployment/ mobility manager position to finish off my stay. i loved every minute of my shortened career and hope to get back in. My heart condition has improved greatly and the docs at the VA recommend me going back in to the higher ups in the Air Force. Im just waiting for a result of my medical review board.

wow, that sucks. i have a good friend from high school who never made it through AF basic because they found out he has scoleosis.

jim762
02-02-2009, 02:29 PM
4 year Navy vet here, IS2 SW with a 3910. Stationed on the USS Kearsarge LHD3 from 99-03.

I did a deployment on the Kearsarge the end of 99 - 2000. I was with Naval Special Warfare at the time and worked out of SAC. You remember that cruise? Didn't hit a lot of ports, and I was in Turkey when they had the big earth quake, we off loaded the marines in Greece. We probably ran into each other once or twice.

RSX99
02-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Small world eh Jim?

jim762
02-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Small world eh Jim?

Sure is!!!

buffblackbird2002
02-03-2009, 01:22 AM
my dad has 20+ years as active duty Air Force as well. Now he is a DoD civ. And my grandfather was 11th Airborne! My wife is a USAF BRAT due to being raised my her grandfather with 23 years active Air Force duty. Both my wife and I have JROTC years too. That all goes along with my prior post of my 4 active duty Air Force shortened career.

DFSniper
02-03-2009, 06:25 AM
i'm hoping to get a DoD job after i get done with school (network admin type stuff), but i cant get my citizenship paperwork done until 2012 (for you new guys, my moms german, step dad is american, and i spent most of my high school years in germany, so my 5 consecutive years state-side didnt start until we got here in '07.) i miss traveling, and after doing it for 17 years, i dont think i'll ever be able to settle down in one place for too long.

LostCause
02-03-2009, 01:28 PM
well DOD job will be a gurantee, jsut be wary cause a lot of people are going for that.....

weitjosh
02-04-2009, 05:46 AM
im not in the army, but i am in law enforcement. i chose this over military bc i can still be with my family and i still feel we serve our country. just in different ways than the military

SSgtRogers
02-04-2009, 12:06 PM
E-5 active duty Air Force here, stationed at Travis AFB. Been in over 5 year, 3 more tell i have to make the decision to stay in or get out. I'm Trying to get orders to Kadena AFB Okinawa Japan. no luck so far.

jim762
02-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Well SSgt, if you can get them take them!!! Okinawa is great, I wish i didn't have to leave. I love this place. If you have any questions about okinawa let me know.

SSgtRogers
02-04-2009, 01:04 PM
I will Take any order that will get me out of Travis ABF (AKA Alcatravis)
BUt yeah I here its really nice over there and I would love to go. Let me Know if you and your Wife decide to take a Space A flight out of Kadena to travis I have the hook up.

jim762
02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks but we transfer the end of this month to NAS Lemoore outside of Fresno. Trying to fly MAC, so we might touch down in Travis.

speed
02-04-2009, 02:21 PM
How do u sit down with your parents and talk about joining the military. I want to join but don't know how to tell my parents.

LostCause
02-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Research, research and research before about everything about your MOS, Branch, w/e. Then just man up and talk, I mean i know my parents didnt want me to go into the military (specaily cause I was going to orginaly go enlisted as a 68W), and we talked and now im going officer. Just remember this is huge for them too and we are in a "war" (obama plans to send more troops to afghanastan and maybe invade another country....)

DFSniper
02-04-2009, 04:32 PM
How do u sit down with your parents and talk about joining the military. I want to join but don't know how to tell my parents.

bring up career options after the military and how they'll pay for your school.

big_daddy_d
02-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Honesty and being up front about your intentions will help too. Plus research
Any questions shoot me a pm.