PDA

View Full Version : Ghille Suit questions

Blackhawk0
10-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Im gonna make a ghille suit and i have a few questions...

How would i get a remote set-up to work with out the tank showing and without me being more noticeable

What colors would i use for a woodland ghille and in what porportions should i use the colors in (1/4 suit green 1/3 brown...etc)

How easy would it be to blend into a grassy area in woodland ghille...

How many seasons a year could i use it for before the colors stop blending into my environment... on average

And last but not least how would you clean it after getting hit...

Also could you post up some pics so i can get the general idea of how to spread out my colors

Thanks in advanced

slim and shady
10-05-2008, 08:07 PM
I cant put up any pics at the moment but I have tones of skills in making ghillies as I have made alot of them. I prefure the burlap style and by your post I assume that is what you are looking at as well. I would first sugest going to an army surplus of military store where then have them made already take a look at the designs and colors then you will see what fits best into YOUR environment. It will also give you a good idea of patterns and burlap placment. I think this is where you should start your search and it will answear the most of your questions that you have asked.

you will blend in to grass well if you are using standered woodland greens browns and some black your ghillie really is for a single season so to speak (spring, summer, fall or winter) clearly each season uses compleatly different color schems and shading.

As for cleaning use a spray bottle with water and it washes it right out.

hope that helps.

Blackhawk0
10-06-2008, 04:38 PM
I am actually going to use jute thread which is the thread that burlap is mad of i believe... less work because i dont have to pull the burlap...

Also what brand of dye are you using to dye the burlap and how many threads are you tying to a 1"x1" square

Thanks again

slim and shady
10-06-2008, 06:17 PM
I dont remember what the dye is called its out in my shed and im not about to get. I tie a decent amount in every a square but not in every square I dont know how many threads there would be but the more you put the better it is, unless you make it unbarebly heavy.

Blackhawk0
10-08-2008, 02:19 PM
ok i started the ghillie suit last night i have attached almost all the netting(takes me a while to get it all because the net was too small to do the shirt in halfs so i am gluing multiple sections with glue that takes forever to dry) and i have cut all 2250 ft of thread and will be dying it dark green, kelly green(olive) and black... hopefully ill be able to add brown tommorow and will probably use natural color jute (is that too many colors?)

slim and shady
10-08-2008, 04:10 PM
nope sounds like you are off to a great start dont get disscouraged it takes a very long time to make one.

Blackhawk0
10-11-2008, 07:17 AM
ok... not to get discouraged or anything... but my colors do not match at all so the place ill be playing paintball ishere (http://www.silverspursplat.net/) and i need to know what colors ill need... i think what im going to do is go to lowes and pick up large sheets of burlap and spraypaint it... then cut it into strips and tie them on... does this method work as well and what kind and colors of spraypaint will i need or ill just go to bushrag.c o m and get precolored jute thread... then what colors will i need off that site and how much will i need?

in order to see where im playing you will need to go to gallery on the left and then click on a woods field picture... it does scroll left to right as well and in order to view the photo you must be scrolled all the way to the left

slim and shady
10-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Why wouldnt basic woodland colors work there? Looks basic to me. I wouldnt spraypaint burlap, jute as it will just flake off and be compleatly ineffective anyway. I would use dye, you are changing styles compleatly too now as your going into a bush rag style instead of a jute/burlap(thread) style. I was going to make one like this for my fall ghuillie and never got around to it. If you are going to order it email them the pic of your environment and say you want colors specific to this environment. Good luck.

slim and shady
10-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Oh and if you decided to go with a bushrag style you can buy large bags of different colored bushrags for like 25$ sometimes they are called scrimpcammo kits.

Blackhawk0
10-11-2008, 10:19 AM
well i dyed them myself and the olive green turned out to be that bright colored easter grass... it was also sisal twine instead of jute so it came apart just like any other twine... but ok i will get precolored jute and i plan on going to a surplus store today and im gonna look for it for the off chance it can be done tying in 4 hours and ill look for that camo kit

slim and shady
10-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Hope you have good luck, there are alot of pre dyed colors to look at as well if you want to go that route.