PDA

View Full Version : Ironically... Windows Vista Help...

badlandsrox
10-03-2008, 03:35 PM
So ive been having a problem with spyware etc, its really taking up bandwidth right now, well spyware and adware, and cookies, but going through the process of manually deleting cookies is not working at all. 2 questions here... 1, How do I get rid of the Spyware (tried spyware doctor, norton and AVG... nothing is workin) as well as the adware? and 2, How do I block all that stuff from getting onto my computer?

bigred76
10-03-2008, 03:39 PM
I use Avast Home Edition, and it works great for keeping out unwanted programs. As for spyware, etc, I use standard Windows Defender. Works fine.

DFSniper
10-03-2008, 03:46 PM
had that problem once on my first built-from-scratch pc (more like frankenputer), and after accumulating about 62 THOUSAND pieces of spyware, i just did a whole hard drive wipe.

this reminds me, my mom has the problem of malware trying to get her to install a fake Windows Defender 2008, and i cant figure out how to get it off. i checked online, and the registry keys it tells me to delete don't exist.

Sandman_Bravo
10-03-2008, 04:12 PM
adaware

DFSniper
10-03-2008, 04:17 PM
thats what i'll probably have to do. i have about 7 different anti- adware/spyware programs saved on my pc, just need to get around to installing them on hers.

lets see...
Ad-Aware SE
HijackThis
Spybot
Bazooka Scanner
Tune-Up Utilities
Avast!
and can get Spyware Doctor from a friend.

durrell
10-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I have been running the same 3 programs on my computer for years and have never had a single piece of spyware:

Avast Home Edition
CCleaner
Ad-Aware

And PeerGuardian with block lists for spyware/adware if you really are paranoid.

Other things I do to be safe:

OpenDNS: Totally blocks items at the DNS level before they even reach your computer.

Firefox with Adblock Plus.

If you do all of the above I can guarantee you no spyware.

Muddytaco
10-03-2008, 07:09 PM
I use ad-aware and firefox with adblock. I run ad aware sweep about once every 6 months and maybe have 1 or 2 minor things come up.

vikingshadow
10-04-2008, 05:59 AM
I've used Adaware, Spybot, Ccleaner and AVG for a couple of years and haven't had a single bit of spyware since. I run them all every couple of weeks (AVG is constantly working) and I feel pretty safe, even with my kids and wife running like crazy through all sorts of websites.

HelpDeskHustler
10-05-2008, 10:40 PM
i really hate to be the negative nancy, but all these programs are ghetto fixes with annoying consequences (mainly reserving time for the program) the real problem is who is getting the spyware? I literally could not comprehend getting a virus doing ordinary stuff.