PDA

View Full Version : J&J barrel

lopezm78
09-30-2008, 09:43 AM
i got a 14" J&J barrel but it does not fit in the mr3 shroud. will it hurt the barrel to grind down the tread end just enough to get it in the shroud or shoud i just replace shroud or get new barrel?

hoodtrix
09-30-2008, 09:46 AM
really wow i thought it would fit

lopezm78
09-30-2008, 10:12 AM
so did I......it is just a little big, not by much though, the barrel itself will fit it just the part righ in front of the treads maybe inch, inch and a half that is too wide.

DFSniper
09-30-2008, 11:04 AM
hollow out the shroud some. its safer than the barrel.

SundragonPPS
09-30-2008, 05:23 PM
i got a 14" J&J barrel but it does not fit in the mr3 shroud...

That's a bit strange. Never heard that one before. The J&J fits my MR2 perfectly. If so, then stranger yet, such design tolerence variations in the same relative area.

sneekypete
09-30-2008, 05:30 PM
:yeahthat: But if you have too I would take the barrel to a Machine Shop and have them mill the barrel to 7/8.

KingTutBaller
09-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Hmm this is strange... I have one on my MR2 and my MR3 and I did not need to mill them. Are you sure you got the right threads? I've seen some with wider bases but they're not for spyders.

lopezm78
10-01-2008, 07:51 AM
it said spyder threads so i hope so. i may just take the shroud off and check the thread before i do anything else to ensure they gave me the right one. I thought it was strange too i know plenty of people that did not needd to do anything to the barrel of the shroud as well. i will see later today.

bigred76
10-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Sounds like a plan, Stan. Cover your bases, take pictures if need be, and give them a call if it's the wrong threads. Heck, give them a call asking about the issue even if it is the right threads. See if it was a design change on their part before calling Spyder.

SundragonPPS
10-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Pretty sure I figured this one out. You just mention J&J barrel but not which one. I suspect you purchased a Full Tilt or S2 barrel which does not fit the shroud. The plain ceramic is the one you should have gotten for your MR3.

bigred76
10-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Look at his sig, Sunny. ;)

Triple xXx
10-10-2008, 10:34 AM
That's a bit strange. Never heard that one before. The J&J fits my MR2 perfectly. If so, then stranger yet, such design tolerence variations in the same relative area.

I called J&J last week to see if their barrel kit would fit a VS3. The technicial said, "Some do and some dont! How about that!" WTF??? :confused: :mad:

So you are correct. The tolerence variations seem to be quite a bit during manufacturing.

villageidiot019
10-21-2008, 12:20 PM
So the J&J ceramic may not fit the marker?

Triple xXx
10-21-2008, 12:45 PM
So the J&J ceramic may not fit the marker?

Most barrels will NOT fit. Kingman made the mistake or making the VS3 with a shourd on the gun. This limits the types of barrels you can use. Many people cut the shroud off. Once they do that ALL barrels will fit. The new RSX which is the newer version of the VS2/VS3 does not have a shroud.

I just ordered an Evil Pipe Kit. The barrel backs would NOT fit. I just cut my shroud off today. Not easy but had to be done.

DFSniper
10-21-2008, 12:49 PM
the ceramic is A LOT smaller in diameter than standard barrels. if im not mistaken, its smaller than the VS2/3 barrel, so it shouldn't have a problem fitting if the dimensions are the same as the mr3

Triple xXx
10-21-2008, 12:54 PM
the ceramic is A LOT smaller in diameter than standard barrels. if im not mistaken, its smaller than the VS2/3 barrel, so it shouldn't have a problem fitting if the dimensions are the same as the mr3

I called J&J. They said some fit and others don't.....

I thought that someone started a Thread sayin that his did not fit so he milled his barrel down.

bigred76
10-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Why mill the barrel down? Mill the damn gun body to fit any barrel like it should have been to begin with and stop the issue altogether.

DFSniper
10-21-2008, 01:59 PM
theres not much left to mill down anyway. the ceramic is already half as thick as a stock barrel...

Triple xXx
10-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Why mill the barrel down? Mill the damn gun body to fit any barrel like it should have been to begin with and stop the issue altogether.

I never thought of grinding out the inside of the shroud to fit the barrel. Wish I heard you say that a few hours ago. I just cut the shroud off my VS3. It will take some work to get it to look nice.

Some barrels are very thick and would not fit no matter how much you mill the inside of the shroud.

Good idea though. Wish you had said that ealier! I would have tried it first...Damn!

DFSniper
10-21-2008, 02:56 PM
I never thought of grinding out the inside of the shroud to fit the barrel. Wish I heard you say that a few hours ago. I just cut the shroud off my VS3. It will take some work to get it to look nice.

Some barrels are very thick and would not fit no matter how much you mill the inside of the shroud.

Good idea though. Wish you had said that ealier! I would have tried it first...Damn!

wow, i swear ive said that too in every "will this barrel fit?" thread that pops up!

jim762
10-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't milling down the barrel mess up the ceramic coating? Or is it just coated on the inside?

villageidiot019
10-21-2008, 04:14 PM
I am so mad about this whole shroud thing now! I better be able to find a milling place or I will be pissed!

bigred76
10-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Step 1: Go to OSH.

Hahahaha, sorry, seen too many commercials today. Basically what you want is a round file with a nice handle. Just file it to a little less than you need, then finish it out nice and round. Make sure to clean up all the burrs and blow out all the filings and clean it good before screwing in the barrel, firing it, ANYTHING. Remember that oil traps metal filings in it.

villageidiot019
10-21-2008, 04:41 PM
I have a freaking crazy idea that just might work! I found a barrel from rap4! And I was wondering if I buy this barrel (http://www.rap4.com/paintball/os/inch-spyder-barrel-with-removable-muzzle-brake-p-2681.html) to use it as an adapter and put whatever barrel.

Do you think this would work or no?

bigred76
10-21-2008, 05:08 PM
No. They look the same, but I don't trust shoddy barrels for control bores.

villageidiot019
10-21-2008, 05:13 PM
oh ok, i figured it would be worth the shot! Ok so what barrel is good and wont have problems with it. Should I get the Smart parts progressive than?

Triple xXx
10-21-2008, 06:38 PM
wow, i swear ive said that too in every "will this barrel fit?" thread that pops up!

I should have been thinking! I guess this monkey did not get the bannana.

Ever since I bought my VS3, the web has been flooded with "how to remove the shroud" instructions.

Stupid asses never thought of taking a Dremel and widening the damn hole!

I'm pissed now! :mad: My fault. I'm not sure how much room would have been available or how thin you'd have to make the shroud BUT it would have been worth a try.

Triple xXx
10-21-2008, 06:39 PM
oh ok, i figured it would be worth the shot! Ok so what barrel is good and wont have problems with it. Should I get the Smart parts progressive than?

The new Freak Junior kit fits the VS3. The older one does not. Smart Parts madified it about a year ago.

Triple xXx
10-21-2008, 06:59 PM
I am so mad about this whole shroud thing now! I better be able to find a milling place or I will be pissed!

All you really need is a Dremel with the sanding attachements and grind out the inside very carefully.

DFSniper
10-21-2008, 07:23 PM
if i had a vs3 body to practice on, i'd go into business hollowing out shrouds :D

villageidiot019
10-21-2008, 08:20 PM
if i had a vs3 body to practice on, i'd go into business hollowing out shrouds :D

That could be a good side job as long as you have another job to pay our bills like a smuck like me and working at target. I dont know anyone to let them mill it and i sure as hell don't trust myself and my unsteady hands of death

DFSniper
10-21-2008, 08:33 PM
yeah, i meant as a side job. minimum wage isn't cutting it right now :(

villageidiot019
10-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Hell no, especially when target won't give you overtime for any amount of time you spend their past 40 hours. Not to mention is tough being the bad ass of target and all the "higher authorities" hate your guts. cant wait to hit the lottery!

jim762
10-22-2008, 12:45 AM
I thought this thread was about a J&J barrel on am MR3? How did it get to a VS3 and then to minimum wage? this is just crazy!!! LOL .... Anyway, i just got a 14" J&j and there was enough clearance to wrap the barrel in camo tape all the way from the threads and it still fit in the MR3 shroud. Just thought i would I would throw my 2 cents into the mix.

bigred76
10-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Hahaha, this is SOC, king of the OT forums! :D

As for your experience: What is basically being said here is the some of the J&J Ceramics do NOT fit due to slack tolerances at the manufacturing phase on the OD of the barrel. Thus, some J&J Ceramics fit, while others don't.

Honestly... first rule of modifying ANYTHING:

THINK IT OUT COMPLETELY!

Would you go into your car's engine compartment and replace the spark plugs with Christmas lights? :rolleyes:

jim762
10-22-2008, 02:54 AM
Would you go into your car's engine compartment and replace the spark plugs with Christmas lights? :rolleyes:

No but it sure would be purtty......thats Funny, I don't care who you are!!!!!! :lol:

hoodtrix
10-22-2008, 08:16 AM
how about this, sunD can you open and fit all your j&j berrals to the mr3 and send back the ones that dont :) that way we know it fits before we buy