PDA

View Full Version : New to Paintballing (well kinda)

eletrokey
09-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Hello ladies and gents:

I have a Spyder MR1, I have purchased the tactical rail (off ebay of course) and I am going to just buy a dovetail red dot scope (again ebay). Eventually I am going to buy a dovetail to weaver rail adapter and a weaver scope in the furture. But this isn't really my problem.

I know that I have to buy an adapter in order to install an expansion chamber, which I have found the adapter and the chamber I would like to use. What I would like to know is, I want to keep the tank attached to the gun. What type of hose, or hose fitting do I have to buy inorder to connect from the expansion chamber to the tank piece? Or does that depend on the expansion chamber?

Thank You to anyone that can help me, and Thank You for Your Time. :D

DFSniper
09-26-2008, 06:26 AM
welcome to the forums!

steel braided hose would probably be your best bet. i would wait until you got your expansion chamber in, then measue the distance and get the closest length hose. not sure where to get it, but someone will hook you up.

eletrokey
09-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Do you know what type of fitting goes on the expansion chamber?

DFSniper
09-26-2008, 08:48 AM
standard 1/8th NPT. if you get steel braided hose, it'll be that threading.

bigred76
09-26-2008, 09:56 AM
standard 1/8th NPT. if you get aftermarket steel braided hose, it'll be that threading.

Fixed. ;) All Spyder specific ones are the metric equivilent, but any other non-specific steel braided hose will be 1/8" NPT. :)

Let me think... the Expansion chamber will be threaded for 1/8" NPT, but the ASA won't be unless it's aftermarket as well. With the stock ASA, you'll need an adapter: a metric to standard. I think that SPPS (www.sundragonpb.com) carries both the steel braided hose as well as the adapter in their air section.

DFSniper
09-26-2008, 12:43 PM
tim, some of the newer ones (electra for example) are 1/8th all the way around. not sure about the MR1. if i can get my hands on my friend's MR1 soon, i can verify it though.

IIRC, the ASA is 1/8th, and it uses the old spyder hose (1/8th on one side, metric on the other) and an adapter between the hose and the body (which allows for vertical adapters)

eletrokey
09-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Ummm....... I think I understand. But dont expansion chambers come with either a 90 or straight mircoline coupler?

This is what I am talking about:
http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?referrerid=123677&threadid=380903

Execpt I'm not gonna use that type of cradle, I would like to use the standard one.

Also, does anyone know where I can get an expansion chamber thats matte? I had one, but I lost the link.

DFSniper
09-27-2008, 09:13 AM
no, they just come with the 1/8th threaded hole for the hose fitting to screw into. very rarely do parts come with fittings.

BYUrdneck
09-27-2008, 09:36 AM
The stock MR1 ASA has metric threads on it, so unless you get that standard to metric fitting, any aftermarket steel braided lines will not screw into the ASA. So either go with a Spyder compatible steel braided hose, or check out a hardware store for the fitting. Also - if you get a Spyder hose with metric fittings on both ends - you will have to use a piece of the stock braided hose to get it to fit into the expansion chamber. Your gun comes with a metric to standard fitting because the threads on the gun where the air connects is standard, and the hose is metric.

eletrokey
09-27-2008, 05:02 PM
So how do I go from the expansion chamber to the stock cradle?

BYUrdneck
09-27-2008, 05:33 PM
I am assuming when you say cradle you mean the ASA...If you get an aftermarket steel braided line (the one with standard threads), screw it into the expansion chamber, then, using a standard to metric fitting, attach that to the steel line and then into the stock ASA. Going the other route with a Spyder specific steel braided line (the one with metric threads), Screw that into the stock ASA, then when attaching it to the expansion chamber, you will need to take off the metric to standard fitting off the stock steel braided line and put that on the new steel braided line and then put that into the expansion chamber. And use teflon tape when doing this so you don't get any leaks. Oh, and depending on the steel braided line, there will be some space for a little o-ring after the threads - I know there are some on the stock steel braided line - so you might want to take those off the stock line and put it on the new lines - if it looks like they use them.

eletrokey
09-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Thank You. :D :D :D

eletrokey
09-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Sorry, again, but does anyone know where I get matte expansion chamber? All I can find is ones that are shiny.

Thanks

BYUrdneck
09-29-2008, 08:16 PM
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=13730&page=20
This guy has a matte finish one - its a Bob Long Expansion chamber - I bet you could ask him where he got his. Or just search Bob Long Expansion chambers.

eletrokey
10-05-2008, 08:34 AM
I can not find a Matte Expansion Chamber. Can I sand it and paint it?