PDA

View Full Version : Digital SLR Camera's

badlandsrox
09-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Okay, so I am looking for a digital camera, and have noticed these Digital SLR cameras, obviously a step up from the regular point and shoot "pocket cameras". Does anyone have any experiance with these camera's? are they worth the extra money?

I am looking for a camera that will take really good photos, for example hawaiian sunsets, as well as hawaiian landscapes (we own a place in hawaii, so we are there alot), as well as aerial photographs (not like professional level ones, just for when I am out flying and see something that looks like it would make a good photo, and random landscape shots of the mountains etc. I am thinking of a Sony 350 because its relatively cheap, has good reviews, and has a live preview LCD screen (especially important for aerial shots).

So what do you guys think of the Digital SLR's? Better than the regular little ones?

Hossy
09-25-2008, 05:37 PM
DSLRs are beast. If you want to get into photography get one.
you need to learn how to use it and the lens though. Point and shoots wont work well for what you try to do i dont think.

Id also invest in photoshop to do some adjustments to your photos. thats one beast program.

badlandsrox
09-25-2008, 05:46 PM
DSLRs are beast. If you want to get into photography get one.
you need to learn how to use it and the lens though. Point and shoots wont work well for what you try to do i dont think.

Id also invest in photoshop to do some adjustments to your photos. thats one beast program.

Yeah Point and Shoots don't work very well, especially in hawaii, cause the colors are so vivid there, the Point and Shoots don't do the pictures justice, and the Lens choices are the reason im going for DSLR, as you can get lenses for exactly what you want, like I mean you can get a lens to do really nice macro's, a lens for landscape shots, and a good multiuse one for everything else.

Don't think that I would want to spend the 1000 dollars on photoshop though, especially after already spending more than that on the camera, lenses, case, memory card, and other extra's that arent really extras more like not included mandatory things haha.

08Lud08
09-25-2008, 05:48 PM
way better than the regular ones

VS3 Sniper
09-25-2008, 07:11 PM
I would talk to muddytaco or bigred76 they will be able to help you.

Muddytaco
09-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Liveview on a DSLR pretty leaves sony as your only choice since it is the only liveview system that will autofocus right away instead of having to flip the mirror like other dslr, even though it is still lacking compared to point and shoots. A DSLR is really ment to be used with the optical veiwfinder.

With that being said sony is still very low on DSLR performance compared to the big two, nikon and canon. Both companys having a much bigger lens selection and higher performance in there bodies.

As for specific models and lens, budget is the HUGE factor. It all comes down to how much you want to spend. If your wanting to take more landscape pics you will want a nice wide angle lens and maybe a full frame sensor body if you can foot the bill. I can really say anything specific b/c I don't know your budget.

Another alternative is the Canon G9 (or brand new G10) point and shoot, well advanced point and shoot. Its a mix of DSLR control in a point and shoot body. If your really wanting to use liveview alot it would probably be your best bet.

If you want more in depth answer I would need to know:
-Budget
-Want you want to shoot
-Want kind of image quality your wanting
-Size and weight matter?
-specific types of pics you want to take....landscape, sports, indoor, people, etc.

DSLR gear is really ment for specific types of photography, every lens and body does certain things better then others.

bigred76
09-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Simple answer... YES! DLSR's are worth EVERY penny, so long as you buy them after the price goes down, like Taco and I didn't... :(

Good place to buy from is www.adorama.com and I'm fairly certain that they'll ship internationally. You must be VERY careful when buying cameras online, as they sometimes are "Grey Market" imported knock-offs. Adorama will offer both options for certain products, and usually the grey-market is cheaper. Other websites merely charge you full price for the knock-offs, or don't even tell you you aren't getting the real thing. With a DSLR camera body, get the real thing. Never buy a grey market camera body!

As for photo editing software... I use GIMP almost exclusively. It's open-source (FREE), and can do almost everything the top models of Photoshop can do! :)