PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy?!?! 56k beware

MVS1
09-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Well I got back from a biz trip to Turkey (I'm stationed in Germany and travel all over Europe and beyond with the new job) anyway...Josie, my wife, informs me that although she doesn't want to get rid of our suburban she would like to get something a little more practical for here in Germany. Now this was no surprise considering that driving a suburban in Germany is a little bit of a challenge, and although I have offered my Mazda 323F ZXI to her
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o48/commwarrior70/DSCI0487.jpg
and I'd drive the suburban to and from work she begrudgingly decided to start driving the mazda but doesn't like it because of how low to the ground it is and rough the ride is. Stick with me because this is what builds up to the shock she dropped on me, my car was only available in Europe, has a 2.0L V-6, sport tuned suspension and is a blast to drive on the autobahn as well as windy backroads. So, when I ask what she had in mind this is what she said she wanted....
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o48/commwarrior70/08_dodge_caliber_srt4_f34_500.jpg
This pretty much floored me, she wanted a 285 hp SRT-4 Caliber!!!
Now if your saying SO! you need to go test drive one. I took one out today for a test drive and all I can say is DAMN! This little gem pulls HARD son! I hit the autobahn and with a roll on speed of about 45 mph in 3rd and gunned it, it rocketed to 90 mph like that and grabbing 4th jumped to 125 mph without really even put much off a demand on my right foot. Once we (we being the sales girl that was with me for the test-drive that made the mistake of saying "Wow! I wonder how fast it will go") got clear of traffic and had some open road I decided to see for myself. At 150 mph in 5th gear it was like it was taunting me to quit being a ***** and had I not had to slow down for some traffic before I was able to grab 6th gear I planned on answering her question for her (although I'm pretty sure she was glad I didn't). The boys in the SRT div of Dodge did a good job, this thing was remarkably stable at speed and still very civil running around town.
So here's where I need the help, the intention is to buy this for my wife :eek: , do I really want to put her behind the wheel of this beast? I'm already sold on it, but after letting her drive my Turbo RX-7 (God rest it's soul), which this thing makes it seem slow in comparison, do I tempt fate. Yes I'll get to drive it quite a bit but primarily she'll be the one driving it. Am I out of my mind???

marvin-martian
09-24-2008, 12:47 PM
how much ware you willing to spend? i can try and do some poking around if you dont feel safe with your wife driving this.

bigred76
09-24-2008, 12:55 PM
my Turbo RX-7 (God rest it's soul)

You had a Turbo RX-7? I hate you.

That Calibre is ugly as hell, you better not get her that burnt orange color. :eek:

MVS1
09-24-2008, 12:56 PM
how much ware you willing to spend? i can try and do some poking around if you dont feel safe with your wife driving this.
It's gonna be pretty much right in my price range, $25 to $27K, the one I put a deposit down on is sunburst orange and comes in right around $25,000. It's not that I don't feel safe about her driving it, it has 5 stars across the board as far as safety ratings go, I'm more worried about having to pay for all her speeding fines.
Thank God in Germany speeding tickets don't get reported to your insurance company like in the states so your rates don't sky-rocket, you just have to pay the fines, which can get pretty expensive.
Appreciate your offer but it will probably be pretty hard to match the price I can get one for here through the AAFES Exchange Car Sales since I don't have to pay taxes on it and get about $3500 in discounts/rebates being military stationed overseas.
You had a Turbo RX-7? I hate you.

That Calibre is ugly as hell, you better not get her that burnt orange color. :eek:
Yep, loved that RX-7, funnest car I've ever owned...never should have sold it!
I wasn't keen on the looks either till I got a good close look at it and I actually like it now, and yep sunburst orange, call me crazy but I feel performance cars should have bright, vibrant colors.

marvin-martian
09-24-2008, 01:06 PM
have you looked at VW GLIs?
i think they look nicer, feel nicer on the inside, and dont prompt you to floor it everywhere while still having the power for when you need it.

edit - im also just looking at cars in the same price range in the states. i dont know how much they differ in germany.

MVS1
09-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Oddly, VW's here seem to pull a premium as compared to in the states, probably because the prices include the 20% VAT, but the closest VW performace wise is in the 30K euro range. I tried selling her on a GTI but we rented a Passat when we first got here and she hated it so VW's are off the list even though I wouldn't mind getting a Jetta VR6.

XSiv Force
09-24-2008, 01:32 PM
viva la dodge.......even tho i drive a chevelle :dodgy:

marvin-martian
09-24-2008, 01:40 PM
a passat is different than a GTI. does she know that?
do they have R32s over there?
have you looked at mazdas? (3, 6, RX-8)
are you only looking at 4 doors, or are you open to 2?

MVS1
09-24-2008, 01:48 PM
I am a die-hard mazda fan and tried pushing her towards the 6 but the srt is what she picked, and after driving it I'm cool with that, plus price wise the srt is cheaper than any of the other cars we've looked at (for what equipment options we want) and perfoemance wise blows them away. With 3 kids i have to have something with some room in the back so 4 doors is a must and room for all the junk that goes with having a family.

durrell
09-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Ew, Dodge.

DFSniper
09-24-2008, 03:41 PM
personally, i'd get one in a heartbeat, because the're so damn sexy!

marvin-martian
09-24-2008, 04:00 PM
i just personally dont think theyre pretty or well made, and i would buy a VW over one. i just think that theres alot more to a car than what under the hood, especially for a DD.

durrell
09-24-2008, 04:14 PM
i just personally dont think theyre pretty or well made, and i would buy a VW over one. i just think that theres alot more to a car than what under the hood, especially for a DD.

Dodge has a horrible reputation for horrible reliability. Do not want.

DFSniper
09-24-2008, 04:24 PM
i actually have mixed feelings on that. i know some that run fine, but at the same time i know some that have lots of trouble. my dad's 07 ram has been to the shop multiple times already.

Ace24
09-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Dodge... eh.

Thats an SRT though... different than a normal Dodge, much like the SRT Neon's. It may have the POS looks/body, but it has a beast under the hood.

*shrug* I thought they looked cool when I saw them. Nice crossover for the more family orientated. Have you looked at the Magnum's? I thought those looked better, honestly. Probably doesn't perform as nice though.

battlechaser
09-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Dodge... eh.

Thats an SRT though... different than a normal Dodge, much like the SRT Neon's. It may have the POS looks/body, but it has a beast under the hood.

*shrug* I thought they looked cool when I saw them. Nice crossover for the more family orientated. Have you looked at the Magnum's? I thought those looked better, honestly. Probably doesn't perform as nice though.

I think they cancelled the Magnums a while ago, didn't they.

If we're sticking with Mopar...I vote for a 300C SRT8. :p

HelpDeskHustler
09-24-2008, 08:53 PM
my moms charger is really awesome to drive (shhhhhh) and it's not even the SRT version. I really do agree though, some aspects of the car are just shoddy design IMO, as an aspiring engineer. It feels a bit wider than I prefer (i drive a tiny nissan maxima 97 though) especially in construction, the blind spot is eh.. and the windshield is terribly placed so that it feels too small.

TheDarkShadow
09-25-2008, 07:40 PM
I think they cancelled the Magnums a while ago, didn't they.

yeah they did. I heard that they got horrible gas mileage too

dodge.... eh not a huge fan, but SRTs in general are cool

DFSniper
09-25-2008, 07:45 PM
yeah, they got 17 city, 21 highway IIRC (parents were looking into one)

TheDarkShadow
09-25-2008, 07:50 PM
a stationwagon w/a hemi. pretty cool idea though

MR2 Woodsballer
09-25-2008, 08:54 PM
make the wife happy get it fo her.

MVS1
09-26-2008, 07:27 AM
She drove it yesterday and liked it so I think I'm going to go for it. This caliber SRT-4 is perfect for here in Germany because of its size. With narrow streets in the villages and whindy back roads driving a full size car can be a bit of a pain in the arse, and driving the suburban I basically have to "Bully" my way around.
The SRT-4 is just what I was looking for too in a car, tons of power, great handling, ridiculous stopping power and room for the family (wife and 3 kids, 2 of which have to be in booster seats because of German Laws) and still room in the back for luggage/groceries/etc.
Dodges reliability rep was my biggest reservation as well, but with a 7 year/70K mile warranty I'll give it a chance and the SRT division does it right.
The second runner up, car wise, was the Subaru WRX and I just can't warm up to the looks of the new body style.

DFSniper
09-26-2008, 07:42 AM
70K miles is nothing on the autobahn :p then again, we drove 2 hours to my grandparents every few weeks...

saw one last night on the way back from louisville, and i'd hit it (the accelerator, that is!)

MVS1
09-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Well it's official, be picking her up tomorrow...
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o48/commwarrior70/MySRT-4Caliber.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o48/commwarrior70/MySRT-4Caliber2.jpg
285 Hp intercooled turbo 2.4 liter I-4, 3" stainless steel header/3" stainless steel exhaust/4" chrome exhaust tip, 19" polished alunimum rims, 13 speaker Bose stereo system, 13.9" front and 12" rear drilled and slotted rotors, 6 speed Getrag tranny, 155 mph topspeed (had it to 145 mph on the test drive :D) and all the other beauty's that come with being an SRT-4.

DFSniper
09-26-2008, 01:42 PM
nice, its not Euro spec is it? or does it pass US DOT specs too?

MVS1
09-26-2008, 02:23 PM
It's US spec, the none North American spec is rated at 303 Hp, no difference between the 2 versions engine wise, and since American Insurance companies are the only ones that calculate Hp ratings into insurance rates I'm guessing Dodge purposely under-rated the US spec version.
BTW, I forgot to mention that I'm getting this for my wifes Birthday present(which is tomorrow)...arn't I a great guy :devil:

DFSniper
09-26-2008, 02:26 PM
nice, mines today. currently working on a dark timmy on ebay. 4 min left!

does she know about the car yet?

MVS1
09-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately yes she knows, she just doesn't know that I'll be bringing it home tomorrow, she thinks it won't be here in Germany for a month.

DFSniper
09-26-2008, 02:38 PM
ah, that should be a nice surprise!