PDA

View Full Version : Left-hand conversion

JoltZero
09-18-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm thinking about modding the feeder of my MR2 to be more left-handed friendly. I want to do this by cutting out the portion where the ball is loaded into the bore and flipping it around and soldering it back. I'll also turn the shroud around too to match it with the detent cover. I've never really done anything like this before, but I have almost completely disassembled my MR2 before and put it back together perfectly, so I don't think I'll run into any issues upon assembly.

However, I'm not sure how far I should cut or how safe it is, or even what I should use to cut it. Can someone give me some advice? Thanks in advance.

Hossy
09-18-2008, 12:39 PM
If you do it, you will probably mess up the breech. I would not suggest doing it.

oldironmudder
09-18-2008, 02:24 PM
I would suggest finding a local machine shop & talking to them. Ask around for both good & bad opinions. When you do go take the body & when you are telling them what you want/ trying to do, tell it very simple. I took a body to the machine shop in Paris & before it was over I told Steve 4 times what needed to be done.

Now I dont know how the MR2 feedneck is off the top of my head, but reattaching it with solder just doesnt sound like it will hold up very well down the road. Thought about finding a welder who can do aluminum???

JoltZero
09-18-2008, 03:42 PM
I would suggest finding a local machine shop & talking to them. Ask around for both good & bad opinions. When you do go take the body & when you are telling them what you want/ trying to do, tell it very simple. I took a body to the machine shop in Paris & before it was over I told Steve 4 times what needed to be done.

Now I dont know how the MR2 feedneck is off the top of my head, but reattaching it with solder just doesnt sound like it will hold up very well down the road. Thought about finding a welder who can do aluminum???

Seeing as how I've never worked with metal, that might be a good idea. However, I just realized that that might severely mess up its eyes. Hmm... Crap. It's so hard to be
left-handed... :(

bigred76
09-18-2008, 04:23 PM
It's just as hard to be left handed as anyone else being right handed... You have to be able to swap hands to be able to get the tightest profile possible. :rolleyes: If I can learn to be ambidextrous, so can you. :)

sneekypete
09-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Have you thought about a Q-loader and then you can mount it on the left hand side

slim and shady
09-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Im with hossy on this one i wouldnt even try it. Go with sneekypetes Idea with the Q-loader or try to warp feed it.

JoltZero
09-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Im with hossy on this one i wouldnt even try it. Go with sneekypetes Idea with the Q-loader or try to warp feed it.

Yeah, I didn't really think that it would work... :smirk: The Q-loader seems really awesome for woodsball and scenario, but I heard that its kind of impractical for speedball, which, after trying out the others, I discovered is what I really like. And if I were to pay $200 to fix that, I might as well buy a more speedball oriented marker, which I think I'll do.

Also, what's a warp feed?

bigred76
09-22-2008, 09:27 PM
AGD (the makers/designers of the Automag) made them as a way to reduce marker height. It basically is a box that you attach your hopper into and it force-feeds them through tubing into the marker (typically, it's mounted on the left side of the marker with a feedneck sticking out that way... there are ULE bodies for Automags specifically designed for them). It's basically a better Q-loader.

Lemme grab you a picture of my old Automag with a Warp Feed on it.

EDIT: Here ya go:

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9245/1002110nm0.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7715/1002111db4.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/861/1002109td7.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6189/1002108ch8.jpg

hoodtrix
09-23-2008, 06:50 AM
dead pics

JoltZero
09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
dead pics

The pics aren't dead. I think it's just the computer you're using. I find that using older computers makes a lot of pics here seem dead.

Also, judging from the pics, it would seem rather difficult to shoot right handed if I ever need to while using a warp feed.

Thanks for the help guys, but I think I'll just go ahead and get a speedball type gun.

DFSniper
09-23-2008, 06:40 PM
sounds good too! one thing i'm confused about, how would this have made it more left-handed friendly? just not having to reach so far to fill the hopper?

JoltZero
09-24-2008, 07:26 AM
The hopper gets in the way of my vision.

DFSniper
09-24-2008, 07:34 AM
ah, ok. what kind of feedneck do you have? i think the CCM adapter would bring it closer to center than the stock one.

JoltZero
09-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I actually have the Trinity feed neck. I got it thinking that it would somewhat solve the problem, but it's still bugging me. I know it's not that much of a big deal, but, like I said, it bugs me.