PDA

View Full Version : Anybody with dual monitors, Please respond

shunut
09-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Ok, I'm going to convert to dual monitors and I'm weighing everything out. I'm looking at monitors but from what I've found, there aren't many square monitors left out there, most have all gone to widescreen. Right now I have a 17" non-widescreen monitor that I plan on using, but I'm having trouble deciding what I should get as second monitor. I'm pretty OCD about liking everything to be symmetrical so I'm not sure if I should go with a regular monitor or widescreen. So my question is, does anybody who has dual monitors have 1 regular and one widescreen and if anybody does, is it weird having 2 different size screens?

Any help would be appreciated.

battlechaser
09-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Right now I'm running my widescreen 15.4" laptop with a 17" 4:3 monitor as a slave. The only real problem you'll encounter is your wallpaper, as the aspect ratio's are different.

I don't use the slave for more than Winamp, MSN and the Vista Gadget bar. At this point I don't even really notice the difference. though the next computer I get, I'm definitely opting for larger ones. :P

DFSniper
09-16-2008, 04:31 PM
yeah, battle's pretty much got it covered. my mom runs dual 17" widescreens, and it just feels natural after a while. plus, you can find them for cheap now. i got mine for $120 at best buy! if you're going to to look for monitors though, try finding the ones with the smallest border/frame. it'll make it a lot easier to use because it won't feel like there's that big of a gap between the two. but most of the time you won't have anything split between two screens.

shunut
09-16-2008, 04:58 PM
I will get a lot of use out of 2 screens. No more flipping back and fourth between the design window and the actual site to see what the changes I made did. No more flipping between my design program and the content that the person I am building the site for.

DFSniper
09-16-2008, 05:01 PM
yeah, i meant that you wont have a window thats halfway between two monitors. sorry.

bamf-hacker
09-16-2008, 05:06 PM
I am giving you all you need now :)

Drefish99
09-16-2008, 08:24 PM
What I would suggest doing is using the existing monitor and try and find a wide screen that you can adjust so you can have the wide going up and down. This helps when you are reading large documents and it works great at standard web pages where you can see more below the page and not have to scroll down as much.

Team Ramrod
09-16-2008, 08:53 PM
im using my laptop with an additional external 19" monitor and at first it took some getting used to but now its like second nature. I'm sure with whatever you get once you come accustom to it, you wont have a problem no matter the orientation. But as said previously, look for things that will make that change a bit easier like a narrow frame and something you can mount close to your main screen or as Dre said, something that will suit your custom needs.

darth massacre
09-16-2008, 10:58 PM
My dual setup is about as mismatched as it comes - I run a 22" LG wide and a 17 inch CRT.

If you're using an Nvidia graphics card the software that comes with it is pretty decent but it still takes a while to match the colors and contrast on both screens because they are inherently different in the ways they display pixels by design. It actually works for me somewhat because I deal with graphics and sometimes its good to drag the window from LCD to CRT to see how its displayed and what I need to watch out for when I work (primarily) on the LCD screen. Oh and if you do get an LG monitor, don't install the software that comes with it, or if you do install it get it disabled in your registry - its worthless.

If you can, get 2 of the same model - that way you can ensure both screens display properly once calibrated. If you're not into graphics application or digital movie editing/effects, you really don't need a widescreen although its good to have. If you're a coder you might want a rotatable portrait/landscape monitor so you can set it up to display a taller/longer window and thus be able to read more lines of code. But if you're just doing plain old administrative stuff, get another cheap 17" that's similar to the size of the one you have and you can get them setup identically for more desktop workspace.

Once you go dualscreen, you can never go back.

DFSniper
09-17-2008, 03:19 AM
My dual setup is about as mismatched as it comes - I run a 22" LG wide and a 17 inch CRT.

lol. my first dual setup was a HUGE 15" CRT and a 13" CRT

bamf-hacker
09-17-2008, 05:56 AM
Dual screen, ha... Rookies :)

Once you go Tri screen you never go back ;)

shunut
09-17-2008, 06:01 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice.

STRIKEFIRST
09-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Josh...

you can still get viewsonic 17" standard monitors...at least we can here in our office, we have some running those in dual...I'm running dual viewsonic vg2030wm...highly recommended