PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Emergency Preparedness Kit.

badlandsrox
09-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Ok, so on my way home today, I came across a fresh accident (before ambulances and everything got there, and when they did the entire highway was shut down, so it had to have beem bad...). I was going to stop and help, however there were already like 5 or 6 cars, and a construction van that had traffic control devices, so they closed down the one lane by the accident to give them some room. My question... well I guess questions, to you guys, are 1.) Just for safety and peice of minds sake, i'm thinking of putting together a kit of sorts containing emergency supplies so that should I ever come across an accident, I can help safely and effectively (especially since everyday, I drive through the city's 5 most dangerous intersections...). Heres where you guys come in. What kind of things would be good to carry around for such an event? heres what I have come up with: Seat Belt Cutter, Basic first aid kit, Traffic cones (possibly with flashers for those snowy days or dark nights), emergency blanket, candles (for basic heat, and light at night), Flashlight (headlamp type), and those plastic nitrile gloves. Any other idea's? Question 2.) If you came across an accident, would you attempt to help? or at least stop and see if help is needed, or would you drive on by? either if no one was there yet, or there were people there, and you are just offering extra hands. Also, how about summer vs. winter?

Critical
09-16-2008, 03:52 AM
Question 1:
Distilled water, flares...

Question 2:
I would only stop if (a) you have been trained in some level of first aid, i.e. Boy Scouts, CPR, red cross, etc; or, (b) if the accident/incident is so severe that immediate, untrained help will help, and not do harm.

DFSniper
09-16-2008, 04:03 AM
i agree with critical. i'd stop by if it looked serious and there was no one already there, and i knew i'd be able to help out.

how about road flares?
when we lived in colorado, we used to keep an emergency box in the back of the van that had dry foods, blankets, first aid kit, flashlight, bottled water, etc. in it in case we got stuck in a blizzard.

STRIKEFIRST
09-16-2008, 09:40 AM
I was a witness to an accident about two weekd ago...as long as you call 911 let them know what happened they take your info and you're free to go. If there are injuries and you have been trained that can get sticky...My step dad for years was an EMT...so we had everything with us no matter what vehicle we had...sutures, 1 litter oxygen bottles the works...it was in a giant plano EMS tackle box the size of a large cooler.

Personally being trained in firstaid, cpr etc...we carry in our blazer, a basic off the shelf first aid kit...2 wool blankets...wipes...sanitizing liquid for the aftermath and nitril/latex gloves...I also recommend if you are trained in cpr a pocket mask for mouth to mouth keep it in the glovebox or what have you. You never know what you could contract while saving someone...protect yourself first.