PDA

View Full Version : Best paintballs in colder weather

The Booth Man
09-13-2008, 08:57 PM
I've been searching through the forums to find out what paintballs work best in your markers in colder weather (below 50 Degrees). Rather than a nice answer, I ran into a soap opera between Big Red and some other dude. I am not trying to revive that episode so please keep your answers on topic.

What paintballs do you like to use in colder weather? Why?

bigred76
09-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Evil and RPS Premiums. :) That's in my Borg, though, which has an LPR set to 65-75psi. With a Spyder, any mid-grade paint should perform just fine as it's got about the right shell consistency.

What soap opera are you referring to... ? ;) I do not know of that which you speak of! :D

druid
09-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Polar Ice. Great stuff

slim and shady
09-14-2008, 06:10 AM
draxxus frostbite, and we play in temperatures as cold as 20 below freezing. Though sometimes we had a bit of trouble with it.

Dont worry about Red he is just the forum grouch, you will find alot of those threads! keeps us entertained ;)

vikingshadow
09-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Any paint is fine, just about.

All you need to do is keep them warm. I keep mine in the car in the sun, or if there is no sun out with the heater on for awhile. Gun, too.

Another trick I use is to take the paint, put it in an ice chest that seals tight. Throw about 6 of those hand warmers in there and it should stay warm so long as you don't open it up too much.

Keep your guns and paint warm and you shouldn't have any problems...

Other than that, any mid grade paint should be ok.

The Booth Man
09-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the input. No worries Big Red; I continue to be entertained by some of your rants. Have you ever thought about writing a book? :jot:

After trudging through all of the nice, high quality reviews on pbreview, I think I am going to try DXS Midnight or Bronze. What do you guys think? Where is the best place to buy them online?

bigred76
09-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Haha, I'd never write a book... I never get enough time at once to sit down and finish anything. Looking back over those threads, I keep thinking of things I left out...

I would not buy paint online due to the risks of breakage during shipment. On top of that, the guarantees of the environments that they're going to be shipped in are flaky: i.e. 135* shipping containers are not good for paint. You're much better off swinging by a local paintball store (or Walmart even, looking at where you live and assuming that stores are few and far between) that gets specialized shipments from the manufacture.

As for the paint itself, I'd say DXS Bronze honestly surprised me the first time I used it. For white-box price, it puts out damn good performance (and I'm using Evil and RPS Premiums normally, remember), and should do you well for cold weather ball.

The Booth Man
09-15-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm kinda with you on ordering from an online retailer. I would much rather open the box and look at the paintballs before I buy them. I ran around to all of the stores in town and I found a few that might work.
Nelson Hot Spot $40
JT Fluid Monsoon $50
Stryker $40

XSiv Force
09-15-2008, 05:24 PM
i think he is referring to red and me when i first started....but as you can now see in reds sig we are kosher now

The Booth Man
09-15-2008, 05:50 PM
lol I don't care, I just thought it would be a good start to my message

XSiv Force
09-15-2008, 05:51 PM
bigred is like a bear you know you shouldnt go near him but onced you do you notice he is nice a fluffy

bigred76
09-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Out of those three choices:

Nelson - It's brand is notorious for staining, and it smells worse than a dog that rolled in cat ****. I wouldn't go for it simply for those two reasons, but can give you more if need be.

JT - JT isn't primarily a paintball manufacture, as that is something specialized that mainly companies with pharmaceutical backgrounds do. They slap their paintballs together like they do their guns, and it shows on both accounts. Best of the three, though. That's simply because it's lower-end paint, and I can't be picky and choosy.

Stryker - Never heard of them, and since they can't spell, it sounds like they're a lower-end oriented paint brand designed for woodsballers. Looking around online, I came across a review that said they were about what I expected: Bonus Ball quality. This'd be my second pick as I'm sure you don't want to tenderize your opponents while simply trying to get a single ball to break. They might perform better in minus temperatures, but I'm not going to leave sunny California for that reason alone. ;) Link to that review: http://paintball.about.com/od/review1/gr/strykerpaintbal.htm

bamf-hacker
09-16-2008, 09:58 AM
DXS Bronze. Pretty much all I shoot is DXS silver or bronze. I will however go against Vike's advice of leaving it in the car. Even in the dead of winter the inside of the car can get pretty hot in the sun. I do the cooler trick though and that works great.