PDA

View Full Version : Hadron Supercollider.

badlandsrox
09-09-2008, 09:09 PM
For those of you that haven't heard of it, its essentially a giant particle collider that is on massive scale, shooting particles at near the speed of light towards eachother to create new matter for research. The main contraversy around this is is that theoretically it could create a micro black hole that could eventually harm earth. I know I did a really bad explanation, but if you really don't know what it is, just google it, there is hundreds of things.

The reason I am writing this, is to just get everyones personal views on this, and see what everyone thinks about this.

Personally, I think we should leave well enough alone, I mean we have already done enough harm to earth, and now we want to try something that could potentially threaten earth a billion times beyond what global warming could do just because we want to find out if a particle that we don't have proof of exists? To me, it just doesn't make sense.

Muddytaco
09-09-2008, 10:56 PM
I think its retarded, who really cares about some particle and theory that happened a LONG time ago. What is this really going to tell us, the theory was right all along.......wwwhhoooo nobody cares.

Use the money and research time to find out what is happening on earth right now. One example I have watched several TV shows and such that say we don't even know half the creatures living in the deepest parts of the ocean b/c we can't physically get anything down there under those pressures. Use the time and money to build something that can. To me that is more interesting then something that may or may not of happened way back when that has no effect on us now.

bigred76
09-09-2008, 10:59 PM
.... and? This does not affect my daily life, so thus... I don't give a ****...

vikingshadow
09-10-2008, 03:48 AM
I find it interesting. I think it'd be cool to be the one to figure this stuff out, then actually prove it. It'd be the ultimate "nener nener!"

I look at it in it's simplest form - It's like tinkering on paintball markers. Why do it when there are "better" and "more upgraded" markers out there? Because we can! Now, apply that same theory to science. Why do it? Curiosity, someone will pay for it, and just because they can!

BTW - like all science, once it's finished and the job completed, there's no telling just what we can get out of it. Who knows? Maybe this will help us discover an alternate, unlimited fuel source of unlimited power - can we say star travel? Imagine the force you'd need to accomplish that. Wow!

colonel_moo
09-10-2008, 05:06 AM
i think its very interesting. Its amazing how little we actually know about physics, and the LHC will answer alot of questions, and maybe give rise to new theories. I think its human nature to want to explain the world around us. Although I am a little biased, since my physics teacher in high school went to Cern to work on it, and thus would not stop talking about it/giving us updates all year.

DFSniper
09-10-2008, 05:47 AM
meh, i think its a waste of money. and i cant find the article, but they only gave it a 3/10 on the world destruction scale... and even if we COULD recreate the big bang, why would we want to? for all we know, the next big bang could blow the world OUT of existance.

vikingshadow
09-10-2008, 09:25 AM
meh, i think its a waste of money. and i cant find the article, but they only gave it a 3/10 on the world destruction scale... and even if we COULD recreate the big bang, why would we want to? for all we know, the next big bang could blow the world OUT of existance.

Or create a new universe that we can actually observe (besides our own.) Einstein's theories could be proven, finally, and we could see a HUGE leap in our own thinking and concepts.

It's weird how for some people, it's just meh while for others it's totally exciting and new.

Muddytaco
09-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Found a video that explains it and kind of explains why they are doing it:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/brian_cox_on_cern_s_supercollider.html

ferret15
09-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm sold!

DisIsMyUsername
09-10-2008, 11:07 AM
yea i read something about it and didnt understand anything that was going on. lol

badlandsrox
09-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I totally see that it could be something totally amazing and new and exciting, I get that, what I don't get, is how they can do that with the possibility, however small that it could be completely devastating to mankind. I mean for all we know, our universe could have been created the same way however many billion years ago, out of another advanced earth like environment who did the same thing? Also, they are trying to recreate the big bang, right? what happens if this actually happens, and a new universe within a universe? what would be done in regards to that, use it for experiments, then destroy it down the road? I doubt it, ethical groups would be outraged. What happens to matter that is created through the experiments? do they keep it inside, do they have a way of emptying waste? Now I know that in past collider experiments, the matter created self destructed in a matter of milliseconds, but that was with the lower powered versions that are no where near as powerful, and because of this, maybe they will last longer.

deano 177
09-10-2008, 02:30 PM
.... and? This does not affect my daily life, so thus... I don't give a ****...
You might if it rips a black hole open in your back yard!:D

bigred76
09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't think I will as I will cease to exist if that were to happen. :)

LostCause
09-10-2008, 03:06 PM
idk...looks intreasting...and hey we all die, be a intreasting way to die lol.

marvin-martian
09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

and i personally dont think anything bad will happen with it. some great experiments will be able to finally be conducted and we will discover new things about...things...

DFSniper
09-10-2008, 03:19 PM
http://www.cracked.com/article_16583_5-scientific-experiments-most-likely-end-world.html (watch for language...)

its only rated 3-5 out of 10, so it can't be that bad...

TheDarkShadow
09-11-2008, 12:41 PM
if there is any chance of completely wiping out our planet, i don't think we should do it

Critical
09-11-2008, 12:50 PM
There isn't. At worst, it might take out a large chunk of Europe, but that might not be a bad thing.

ferret15
09-11-2008, 12:51 PM
As I thought back about conspiracy theory's and my stoner friends. I thought to my self **** what if they are right? If the world ends in 2012, if all the bees die off next spring, if the crazy alien planet is really coming for us. Man this Atom smash is some crazy shi7! I mean how odd that this machine that could possibly be a doomsday machine become in working order just as all these stoners predict the beginning of some kind of end.

just food for thought. I find it fascinating that if they understand how life is created the possibilities that could come from that knowledge could allow us to life essentially forever if we so choose to. Imagine enough time passes the stupid are no longer around because everyone has had enough time to become intellegint then if we were all on some level understood and cared enough to **** each other over we could actually live in peace.

but i doubt that is going to happen either way time to get a "emergency, open in case of zombie" kit.

DFSniper
09-11-2008, 01:07 PM
trust me ferret, i'm ahead of you on that emergency zombie kit. and read both books last fall for good measure :D

to get a glimpse on the actual SIZE of this thing:
http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/general/geography/lhc_map.gif

and inside:
http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/publish/stwebresources/PL__Press__Release/CERN_LHC_t2030shigh.jpeg

Critical
09-11-2008, 01:10 PM
They posted a webcam, you can watch things going on in real-time!

LHC (http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html)

DFSniper
09-11-2008, 01:33 PM
lolololol! that was pretty good!

ferret15
09-12-2008, 08:18 PM
ok, here is something that popped into to my head.

The scientist are trying to prove that either science can be all knowing.
so if the particle they are looking for(hig..something) is around everything, appears to bind and influence everything but can not be found, right?
That by definition makes this particle or influence rather God.

Now scientist obviously can not say they are looking to find or not find god because that would be irresponsible because as far as anyones is concerned God and Zeus might as well be friend. also no government/private investor funding would be realisitic.

What they might find IMO could be that this force is God... hmm,
so that then could put scientist greater than or equal to God.
or If this is the God that appears to have human like emotions then we could either be destroyed or would have a direct connection

or what could make thing really crazy, what if this proves there is no God! OMG I know... That would put science as all knowing and our knowledge would become boundless and then we could [with time] do anything we ever wanted, total control.

Now I don't think any of these are necessarily good or bad, but I think that maybe I might be onto something.

DFSniper
09-12-2008, 08:42 PM
from what my chem teacher told me (and she's more than a little loopy IMO) is that they're trying to find the 50 or so sub-atomic particles (quarks, etc.), one of the main ones being the particle that gives objects mass...

ferret15
09-12-2008, 08:51 PM
yeah, i just can't believe the got basically unlimited funds to build this thing.

When you get right down to it, Its just a bunch of little boy playing with fireworks. Mom's not around to say no! so we know its going to be really cool and we could blow off our hand or we could have fun.

Either way, But if you set aside the fact your teach is loopy, and take a sec to interpret the info a little differently. If we find out "why" we essentially proving or disproving the existence of God 1 step at a time, something on this massive scale could be so cool to know why. I can not wait to see if they blow up the world or if we enter a new age of science!

battlechaser
09-12-2008, 09:00 PM
yeah, i just can't believe the got basically unlimited funds to build this thing by stroking someone's ego.

Fixed. :P

I'm undecided either way. As a species we have a tendency to play God. This just seems to be another one, hopefully they don't kill us all.

ferret15
09-12-2008, 09:37 PM
right, but if we didn't play god we could get this far. We [as a species] also tend to take dramatic swings before we find a happy medium which is bad. If we were like every other animal would be one with nature like everything else but instead as a species we basically have said ."screw you nature this is my turf and I will beat you at your own game". Which is allow why we are an amazing species.

XSiv Force
09-13-2008, 10:26 AM
they are essentially trying to find gods particle arnt they? that is what i heard

HelpDeskHustler
09-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Higgs boson. It's referred to as the God particle because it's the one particle if proved exists proves the direct nature of the elementary forces.

On a side note, all of my friends were like OMG were dead on the 10th. These are just warmup cycles, nothing big happens until October 21st.

on another side note, don't argue about religion, this has nothing to do with proving God non-existent or such and such, not to mention I'm trained in discordianism to win any theological or philosophical argument.

badlandsrox
09-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Higgs boson. It's referred to as the God particle because it's the one particle if proved exists proves the direct nature of the elementary forces.

On a side note, all of my friends were like OMG were dead on the 10th. These are just warmup cycles, nothing big happens until October 21st.

on another side note, don't argue about religion, this has nothing to do with proving God non-existent or such and such, not to mention I'm trained in discordianism to win any theological or philosophical argument.

Even the 21st isnt that big of deal, thats when they are first going to do collisions... smaller scale like most other colliders that have been used up until now, it isnt until about a year from now that they do the big near lightspeed ones.

HelpDeskHustler
09-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Word. There's no chance of black wholes because they're only stepping it up slowly anyway. But I'm just a bit annoyed with everyone who thinks that the super collisions occurred on the 10th, they just sent particles in a circle, that's all. The 21st is technically high energy, but more like a Lorentz factor of about 100 not like 7500 that the LHC will be using when "the ****" that probably won't hit the fan, is allegedly going to hit the fan.

ferret15
09-13-2008, 09:16 PM
I;m excited to see what happens! Either way you look at it. It will be good, or we won't know what happened:D

vikingshadow
09-14-2008, 04:53 AM
Personally, I still think it's cool but what I feel is going to happen is that the two particles will just turn into energy once they hit each other. Of course, it's what the scientist's do with the energy after they make it is what's scary.

Some questions I have are, what if we don't have the ability to contain the energy they create? If we can contain it, what would we use the energy for? Are we going to use it for good or bad? Humans tend to be inherently destructive - would the US send a group of special forces to take over the collider, causing the next world war?

Orrrr, what if everyone is just freaking out for nothing and this just turns out to be a big tunnel that is nothing more than a super collider like the ones we already have, just on a larger scale and NOTHING happens whatsoever?

We could worry ourselves right into extinction if we aren't careful!

DirtySouth
09-14-2008, 04:56 AM
::yeahthat::

HelpDeskHustler
09-14-2008, 08:05 AM
I better get a gravity gun.

calebh
09-14-2008, 08:43 AM
i just think it's ironic that people are more worried about this than, say, the fact that the US alone has enough nukes to destroy the planet 3 times over, never mind all the soviet stockpiles gone missing.

marvin-martian
09-14-2008, 10:08 AM
I better get a gravity gun.

!! what if...with the LHC scientists find a way to make one. or at least a leg to stand on to begin making one.

DFSniper
09-14-2008, 11:34 AM
hmm, new energy-efficient cars?

vikingshadow
09-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Star drives?

hover cars?

transporter technology?

Atomic powered snow cone makers?

I don't care - we better get something!

DFSniper
09-14-2008, 12:16 PM
you mean WE as in the common people, right? because that "something" could just end up being a bomb that emits instant-death radiation (sorry, read it in a star wars book today...)

ferret15
09-14-2008, 12:23 PM
what about a flux-capacitor! :dodgy:

DFSniper
09-14-2008, 12:27 PM
meh. hyperdrive > flux capacitor. and besides, everyone knows that all you need is a blender, a bolt of lightning, and some uranium stolen from the ruskies!

ferret15
09-14-2008, 12:29 PM
i wonder if it has to be stolen?

vikingshadow
09-14-2008, 01:07 PM
If it does, then what am I going to do with all this Russian radiation I have laying around here?

calebh
09-14-2008, 06:56 PM
you could pay me to take it from you, so you can steal it back.