PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting this marker...

JoltZero
09-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Okay, I'm rather new to paintball, and I bought the MR2. Don't get me wrong, it's a good gun, but I just don't think it's for me. I got it thinking that I would enjoy woodsball more than speedball, but after trying out both styles, I think I like speedball a lot more. The weight and elbow feed simply isn't practical for speedball (especially when you're left handed and the hopper constantly gets in the way of your vision... x_x). So I want to get a new marker that's more suited for speedball.

What I'm mainly looking for:
Clamp feed neck (I've seen too many instances on youtube where the hopper falls off)
Visible bolt / cock / whatever it's called.
I'm not sure if the trigger on the VS2 was specifically designed for this purpose, but when I don't want to shoot my MR2, I put my middle finger behind the trigger and use that as a "safety device", and I want a gun that will allow me to continue doing this.

So far, it looks as if the VS2 has all these things. But it seems that it is missing an automatic mode. It's not too big of a deal, I guess.

The only downside that I can see is that it looks rather cheap and ugly (in my opinion). I know that a lot of people here will tell me to get this marker, but I'm still rather uncertain. I really just want to hear some reviews about it before I buy (and maybe see some pics of some nice paint jobs for it). Also, I do use compressed air, so the lack of CO2 support will not be a problem.

TheDarkShadow
09-08-2008, 06:09 PM
so
-clamping feedneck
-open bolt
-ability to put your finger behind the trigger
-N2 or CO2
-preferebly full auto

hmmm that's a tough one

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=xxtpmpmp0gtpGtFsHmqpMpN9udOVbq0p_Sk=?Pro ductID=1JrAqArb6fQAAAEYdC6EPxR1
^best bet^

deano 177
09-09-2008, 09:26 AM
I would agree with shadow... If you are going to go with the a VS style platform marker you might as well upgrade to the RS platform. The RSX will have a better regulator than the VS line and will also come with the tadao board installed. You might want to look at the new Electra (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=UeCU8XDPaBOUpTgJ_pZUWXoGmKrUxfF-UjU=?ProductID=2UHAqArbNpwAAAEZss6glFkD) as well... I think the silver one is super hot.

There are a few things to consider before purchasing your new marker. Try some different ones out. Most guys at the field will let you shoot their markers... If nothing more so that they can brag about them...:p .... Get something that is comfortable to you. Nothing worse than shelling out three bills and then not liking what you have. Do your research. Go to pbreview.com and read some reviews on the markers that you like. You may learn some interesting things about them...

JoltZero
09-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah, that RSX looks pretty nice with that red body kit, I think that I might get that. However, can you tell me the main differences between the RS and RSX because being a noob at paintball I cannot understand the descriptions that spyder.tv provide.

lsongj721
09-22-2008, 09:18 PM
RSX has a balance valve (like the VS series)

Comes with the tadao board stock
Has an inline reg (but is still female)
has a normal on/off
Cool looking trigger

RS
Tadao board? im to lazy to look
Has SE valve (can run on co2)
has inline reg
and on off

Thats about it.

The VS2
has poop stock board
Gas-through grip
and asa/reg combo.

Besides that, the same.

JoltZero
09-23-2008, 08:49 AM
What's a balance valve, inline reg, "normal" on/off, and asa?

DFSniper
09-23-2008, 10:18 AM
balance valve is an HPA-only valve made by kingman

inline reg just means that the regulator is vertical (as opposed to bottomline)

normal on/off means that the ASA/bottomline just functions as an on/off valve instead of a bottomline regulator like the VS2/3

ASA is air source adapter, pretty much anywhere you can screw an air tank into.

JoltZero
09-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Umm... Okay, I think I understand...

Also, are we not allowed to suggest other brands of markers or what?

DFSniper
09-25-2008, 06:36 PM
sure. as long as they're not brass eagle or tippmann :D

most of the people here have moved on to better guns, and will give advice on what you should get for your price range.

JoltZero
09-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Ok, that it, I've had enough. Today, I went paintballing, and my MR2 broke down three times. The first time was when the Striker bolt somehow got off of the ESP sear (which also happened last time I went). Next, the threads on the tank got all jacked up because of the ASA. Then, something else happened. I don't know what happened and right now, I really don't care. I just need a new gun. Mine has something wrong with it every time I go. I think I might be cursed, because my brother's gun broke when I wanted to use his, too. And after I got it fixed, it broke again. Even the refs where I go think I'm cursed. So now, I want something very, very, reliable and won't break. Something that'll be immune to my curse. I'm tired of using those POS rentals they have where I go (Tippman 98 Customs). They suck A LOT.

DFSniper
09-27-2008, 03:56 PM
um, the only guns that are tanks and wont break down are 98s and Mags. mags are awesome, but expensive and they eat air!

JoltZero
09-27-2008, 04:08 PM
What is "Mags" short for? I typed it in to google, and I got a lot of paintball magazines.

TheDarkShadow
09-27-2008, 04:36 PM
automag

EDIT:http://www.airgundesignsusa.com/

DFSniper
09-27-2008, 04:38 PM
automag, minimag, xmag, emag, micromag.

JoltZero
09-27-2008, 06:08 PM
*whispers obscenities under my breath*

Ugh... I just want an electronic, lightweight, vertical clamp feed, reliable gun with a double trigger for under $350. Is that too much to ask?

In all seriousness, I really do appreciate the help y'all are giving me. I just wish I wasn't cursed... (BTW, I'm not superstitious; I don't believe in luck or curses or anything like that, but it does seem really weird...)

MonsterLopes
09-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Afraid you're going to have todo some research. Goto a site like PBreviews. c o m and go thru the different varieties of electronic markers. More the low-end ones, but if you buy used you can consider some of the higher-end guns.

RSX's and '08 Electra's have all the features you wanted, are easiest to clean, can perform reasonably well and are very affordable.
On the other hand, guns like Ion XE and PMR are preferred by many.

...and in all honesty, this question has been done to death... you should have typed it in the search box instead of in a new topic. Don't mean to sound preachy.

bigred76
09-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Reliable double trigger'd emarker for under $350? Hmm... I'd say E-Cocker, and you'll need an HPA tank for it. 'Cockers are EXCELLENT once you get them tuned and everything. Other than that... Ion XE, PMR SE, PM6, Alias, etc etc etc....

florios
09-29-2008, 07:02 AM
try ouy a timmy man it sounds lik they got every thing you want man.
see if some one at your field has one try it out for a game and see if you like it

JoltZero
10-03-2008, 09:04 AM
A friend of mine got a PMR yesterday, so I'm going to go over to his house and try it out after work. I know someone else who is selling a PMR for $180, so if I like it enough, I think I'll go with that.

Kunithrayin
10-03-2008, 09:39 AM
You could also look into a Pilot ACS. My brother got one for like $80 on sale at www.actionvillage.com .

DFSniper
10-03-2008, 03:00 PM
theyre like $60 refurbished now.

JoltZero
10-03-2008, 09:50 PM
ok, after testing out that PMR, I REALLY like the look and feel of it. Sure, it doesn't have a manual cocker, but that doesn't really bother me anymore. The trigger feels like crap, though... I think I'll get it, but there are some stuff I'm worried about. I want to have a warranty, so I kind of have to get it for $280, plus I'll need to get a new airtank and trigger for it...