PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice...

irishwarrior
09-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Can anyone here give a little info on straight razors? Would I need to shave less often? How would I strop the blade properly? Where could I find good ol'fashioned lather? I'm tried of having to shave every day or so just to keep the beard off and look half-way decent. Also I like the feeling of the warm lather on my face, especially in winter :).

Muddytaco
09-06-2008, 01:31 PM
I have used one a couple times and didn't really care for it. You have to be careful in the positioning on the blade for each stroke. First time i did it extremely slow and it came out good, second time i drew blood and said forget it lol.

On top of taking longer you have to make sure the blade is well honed or it could get messy really quick.

Overall opinion:
Gillette Fusion FTW :p

spray and pray
09-06-2008, 04:14 PM
I have used one a couple times and didn't really care for it. You have to be careful in the positioning on the blade for each stroke. First time i did it extremely slow and it came out good, second time i drew blood and said forget it lol.

On top of taking longer you have to make sure the blade is well honed or it could get messy really quick.

Overall opinion:
Gillette Fusion FTW :p

I would have to agree with that.

LostCause
09-06-2008, 06:43 PM
i third that...(though i do go to a barber who does stright razor....omg so smooth....)

irishwarrior
09-06-2008, 07:14 PM
I currently use a Gillette Fusion and it's alright. I still have issues with ingrown hairs and not getting a close shave, issues I've heard a straight-edge can help with. Also, I've already decided on getting one, I just would like more info on how to use it and maintain it properly, and if it would help with the aforementioned problems.

druid
09-07-2008, 04:16 AM
http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/straight-razors-and-shaving-html1.html

The only way to have to shave less is to grow less hair. That means burning your skin with chemicals or lasers.

I have to use a clipper on my beard because the hair is so course...

and I use a fusion myself........

irishwarrior
09-07-2008, 05:50 AM
THanks Druid!

Sacks
09-07-2008, 10:08 AM
I've used these really old fashion razors in the past with soap... and it worked fine but after a while I had to get something sharper. Gillette Fusion is awesome even though those blades are really expensive to replace. Stores around here almost never have sales on them either.