PDA

View Full Version : sandbagging

especiialypsycho
08-28-2008, 05:38 PM
i hear this word a lot and i dont know what it mean. anyone care to explain?

Critical
08-28-2008, 05:41 PM
I've not heard it in reference to paintball, but in other areas, it generally is said about someone who deliberately plays/races/whatever below their ability in order to advance through a field, only to play at full ability in the finals.

Someone else may be able to explain it better.

Hossy
08-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Critical is right. there are a few other ways people could use 'sandbagging' but I dont think id be allowed to say that here.

Basically sandbagging is what hustlers at a pool hall or something of the sort do. Its a bluff. Its showing yourself or an opportunity below what it really means. For example, say were at the paintball field and im playing with my spyder talking trash playing with nubs. They say they can beat me one on one, I come out with my other high-end gun (that ive been hiding) and rip them to shreds. Its a Con Man deal.

I really dont understand why you would hear this word alot.

especiialypsycho
08-28-2008, 05:52 PM
well ive been browsing PBN so im hear a lot of new things and im too afraid to post there for fear of getting flamed by agg heads and HK newbs

shunut
08-28-2008, 10:15 PM
I bowl a lot and hear it there all the time. In a handicap bowling league, each player gets a handicap (set number of pins added to their actual score to even the playing field) based on their average. When a player sandbags, they purposely bowl under what they are capable, to set the average so they get a higher handicap. Once their average is set, they start bowling better so they get more pins per game.

vikingshadow
08-29-2008, 03:48 AM
We have a TON of sandbaggers in paintball around Oklahoma - and I hear the word a lot.

Basically, it means a team picks up a few players that have played longer and at a higher level than the rest of the team and the tournament levels they play in is "sandbagging". For example, a team picks up a player or two who have played Div. II PSP and then play in the rookie tournament at a local tournament and they end up taking all the first place prizes. They always say the same thing, "I've ONLY played Div III," or "I've only played Div II once," or "I did play, but it was a LONG time ago". Really, the tournaments around here are just happy to get enough teams to have an actual tourney, so the sandbaggers are pretty comfortable sandbagging.

I've played in more than a few tournaments where it's painfully obvious to everyone (in more ways than one) that the people we're facing shouldn't be in our level. Unfortunately, around Oklahoma it seems that it's "okay" because it's about getting prizes. However, my team and I never complain because we look at it as the higher skill level makes our team play better.

deano 177
08-29-2008, 06:04 AM
The urban Dictionary had this to say:

"Sand Bagging- To deliberately perform at a lower level than you are capable of" (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sand+bagging)

I "sand bagged" when I played with my neighbor and his two kids. They were all three playing against me on the speedball field. I shot the dad right away but let the kids have some fun shooting at me. I threw a heck of a lot of paint around but most of it was aimed directly at the bunkers or three feet over their heads. I wasn't gonna shoot them out no matter what.

pb34
08-29-2008, 07:46 AM
The urban Dictionary had this to say:

"Sand Bagging- To deliberately perform at a lower level than you are capable of" (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sand+bagging)

I "sand bagged" when I played with my neighbor and his two kids. They were all three playing against me on the speedball field. I shot the dad right away but let the kids have some fun shooting at me. I threw a heck of a lot of paint around but most of it was aimed directly at the bunkers or three feet over their heads. I wasn't gonna shoot them out no matter what.

Your instance of sandbagging however was for a bit of a different reason than the others. Yours was because you wanted to show the kids a good time, not to take advantage of anyone.

VicReschke0626
08-29-2008, 11:03 AM
We have a TON of sandbaggers in paintball around Oklahoma - and I hear the word a lot.

Basically, it means a team picks up a few players that have played longer and at a higher level than the rest of the team and the tournament levels they play in is "sandbagging". For example, a team picks up a player or two who have played Div. II PSP and then play in the rookie tournament at a local tournament and they end up taking all the first place prizes. They always say the same thing, "I've ONLY played Div III," or "I've only played Div II once," or "I did play, but it was a LONG time ago". Really, the tournaments around here are just happy to get enough teams to have an actual tourney, so the sandbaggers are pretty comfortable sandbagging.

I've played in more than a few tournaments where it's painfully obvious to everyone (in more ways than one) that the people we're facing shouldn't be in our level. Unfortunately, around Oklahoma it seems that it's "okay" because it's about getting prizes. However, my team and I never complain because we look at it as the higher skill level makes our team play better.

That sounds more like using a ringers than sandbagging. Sandbagging in tourney paintball is really kind of pointless. Unless you're playing a division or tourney that you already would be fairly dominant in and you don't want the teams to be planning on attacking you hard in the finals. In which case, laying back would lead to them maybe changing their game plan a little to play your team differently later in the tourney, but then you come out blazing guns like you're in the NXL.

Sandbagging is mostly done in gambling; billards, pool, bags, bowling. Etc, ESPECIALLY bowling, as mentioned above, sandbagging early on in a league's season will give you a lower handicap. Playing better later will add more pins to the score you're shooting anf your team will win more.

Basically, it's cheating. Laying back to play at a lower level than you actually are so that you can play at your full ability later and win easier.

deano 177
09-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Your instance of sandbagging however was for a bit of a different reason than the others. Yours was because you wanted to show the kids a good time, not to take advantage of anyone.

True. But it is still the same.:p

Sand bagging so that you can get ranked lower for tournys and stuff is super weak. I know guys whom would do that in their dart leagues. I always want to play the best... even if that means getting my butt whooped!