PDA

View Full Version : May I Have Your Attention Please...

druid
08-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Alright...I can't wait any longer. I'm currently waiting on the board so I can't try it out or even take a video of it shooting...

My Ion Crossbow

I dub thee: Tathlum - Weapon of war with magical properties and can be made by any one of the Celtic Religions.

Specifications:

*SP Ion; Stock firing can and breech
*Stage 5 feedneck
*12” Evil Pipe kit, .689 back installed
*Modified, Spitfire Board; 20 bps in semi auto
*Lucky Stage 1 LBM bolt
*Lucky Green Laser Eyes; DyeTex modified eye-to-board wires
*SP 360 QEV
*Kila Brand Detents
*Modified Stock Frame VA, with Stock Regulator with Male QD nipple installed
*Modified Trigger Frame Assembly with CP Magnetic Trigger
*Custom Trigger Guard
*Custom Oak stock
*AGD Warp Feed and 12v Revvi or Reloader B hoppers will be used.

1.Ion is mounted upside down in the stock so it feeds from the bottom by the use of a left-side Warp.
2.The solenoid was dismounted from the board and hard-wired. The eye wires and the 9v power leads are also lengthened. The solenoid remains in its intended position, in between the back and center banjo mount. The trigger switch part of the frame was removed and relocated to its new position and the longer eye wires allowed me to keep the board in the frame as intended. The battery is external but covered in a protected encasement and the “on/off” button is reached by use of a plastic cylinder in the hole bored for it. This allows me to use the original button, yet contain it inside the stock…as well as have the ability to “see-through” the button to view the lights. As you can see, a hole was bored so the gauge could be seen for adjustments.
3.The VA was removed from the original frame and I used one long length of 4mm tubing (provided by Chiumanfu) to reach from the VA to the solenoid.
4.The stock is made from 3 layers of ¾” Oak. The middle layer was cut out to form a “spacer” around the breech and barrel and covered by left and right panels. The left and right panels were sublet to allow the innards to be ‘sandwiched’ and cradled on all sides. The center and right outer layer are glued together and the left outer layer is “pegged” to keep it from shifting. The stock is then secured with two ‘antiqued’ captured screws. I sealed the inside of the wood stock with polyurethane. The grooves were then [slightly] filled with silicone gasket sealant to ward away vibration damage to the internals. The outer surface of the stock was stained with 3 coats of red oak. The Celtic Runes are burned into the stock by use of a common wood burning tool.
5.The Prod and front sight are made from steel flat stock and the trigger guard is made from brass. The Prod was heated with a torch and bent into its apparent “locked” position (The Prod was pre-bent to give the illusion it was under stress but it does not actually move and the bow does not actually fire). After shaping, the Prod, sight and guard were coated with flat black paint and then coated with matte polyurethane.
6.The Crossbow ‘Bolt’ (arrow) is made from a dowel and the tip is made from leather to give a sense of ‘realism’…however the Prod does not move and the Bolt is cemented in place. The bowstring is common twine.

Overall length is 22 inches. Overall width is 2.25 inches for the stock.

CLICK the pic for a slide show of finished project:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/Crossbow/th_1FrameBefore.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/Crossbow/?action=view&current=0e51fc33.pbw)

What do you think so far? :D

Muddytaco
08-25-2008, 07:01 PM
I almost hate to ask this but..........

Are you naked?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/Crossbow/UpdateJuly38.jpg

:p

Very original concept! Can't wait to see it all finished up and shooting.

Hossy
08-25-2008, 07:04 PM
I was kind of planning to do something like that Druid, but not into a crossbow.

Looks amazing. Nice job.

Edit: how did you get the trigger to that size?

SpyderMan723
08-25-2008, 07:11 PM
I was kind of planning to do something like that vike, but not into a crossbow.

Looks amazing. Nice job.

not vike?

vid vid vid vid vid vid

DFSniper
08-25-2008, 07:25 PM
wow, thats pretty ****ing amazing!

bigred76
08-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Paul's done it again.... :rolleyes:

Ace24
08-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Very original! Can't wait to see it shooting.

Modded-Like-Hell
08-25-2008, 07:49 PM
video time! we all want to see it in action

druid
08-25-2008, 07:55 PM
I almost hate to ask this but..........

Are you naked?

:p

Very original concept! Can't wait to see it all finished up and shooting.
uh.......nope. I wear boxers as shorts, which you cannot see in that pic.
thanks. Just waiting for the board....
I was kind of planning to do something like that Druid, but not into a crossbow.

Looks amazing. Nice job.

Edit: how did you get the trigger to that size?
Thanks. You mean the housing> That is the section of the frame it belongs in. I kept the on/off button and tract that the board slides into but that's it. Dremel and hack saw for the win.......lol.

vid vid vid vid vid vid
LOL.....as soon as I get the board I'll get it rigged up and give her her maiden voyage...lol.
wow, thats pretty ****ing amazing!
thanks
Paul's done it again.... :rolleyes:
and you thought I was a schlepp.....
Very original! Can't wait to see it shooting.
thanks and neither can I........lol.

bigred76
08-25-2008, 09:03 PM
I still think you're crazy and have no clue how to do anything with engineering or technical details, but it looks good. :)

druid
08-25-2008, 10:42 PM
1. I still think you're crazy and
2. have no clue how to do anything with engineering or technical details,
3. but it looks good. :)

1. I am :D
2. I don't. I work in a prison where we tear a person's soul to shreds...not build them a bridge to get out of it - or build something and have mother nature flop it around like a fresh pancake...
3. Thanks...lol

battlechaser
08-26-2008, 01:21 PM
As usual you continue to impress me with your mad skills. :P

E-cookie?

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o453/iamthebattlechaser/69142b29.jpg

TheDarkShadow
08-26-2008, 04:07 PM
that is really cool, how long did it take you to do all that?

druid
08-26-2008, 07:53 PM
As usual you continue to impress me with your mad skills. :P

E-cookie?

LOL...thanks. I like cookies :D

that is really cool, how long did it take you to do all that?

I started the plans in March. I had a spare Ion with only a few upgrades to it and was going to leave it a "sleeper" Ion but this came to me while working a night shift at the prison. While doing an exterior perimeter inspection, I was looking at the building and saw the castle-styled ramparts. It dawned on me that the prison's original design mimics the castles of Europe...then my imagination envisioned archers at those ramparts. Then it dawned on me that crossbowmen would be attacking the castle from afar...that's when I made the tracings of the Ion parts...lol.

From there I had to find the right wood of the right length, width (now the height) and thickness (now the width) to make it all happen. Everything else just kind of fell into place in my head. I knew that I wanted the reg in the grip because I would be using a remote with this setup. (BTW, the macro fitting you see in the pics will be replaced with a male QD fitting.) That meant I'd either have to get a stock ASA from somewhere and screw around finding the correct fittings and adapters - or modify the existing VA that is already equipped with the proper fittings. Since I already had the frame, that made more economic sense. After dissecting the frame for the needed parts, plotting their locations was a bit of a pain. I went through 2 new pencils marking, coloring, erasing and doing it again several times before I got the placements you now see. Then it was a matter of cutting the center section out to fit the breech, barrel and trigger...and subletting the left and right sides to cup around those parts. I did all that before shaping the body to what you currently see.
Then I took a 36" x 1.75" wide strap of galvanized flat stock and cut an 18" length off it. I measured for the mounting screws, drilled them and the crown that goes around the muzzle and then mounted that in my vice. I shaped the tips with a dremel, tied cord to the ends and heated it with a torch - while pulling the cord. That bent the steel into the bow you see. I used the same flat stock to make the front sight and lower muzzle cap. Then I primered them and painted them with Krylon spray paint. After the paint dried, I wrapped the bow with simulated sinew...the stuff I use on my leather projects, to give it some flair. I think I'll also wrap the ends of the bow as well.
Then I removed all the white paint from the wood, glued the center and right sections together and cut off the pegs. I filled in various gaps with wood putty and sealed the interior with polyurethane spray.
Then I burned the dragon, Tree of Life and the Runes into the wood...sanded some more and stained it twice with Red Oak stain. After that dried, I wrapped the internals in cling wrap and applied tub and tile caulking to the inside of the stock, where the breech and barrel sit. That should help ward against vibration damage to the internals.
I knew that all the commercial fields I go to, require trigger guards as standard equipment so I took a length of 1/2" brass and bent it to meet my needs. All I have to do now is engrave it's name into the plate I saved for it and wait for my board to be done and test it out.

STRIKEFIRST
08-27-2008, 02:56 PM
That was one of the best odd ball ideas I've seen!

You are the man!

druid
08-27-2008, 10:47 PM
LOL...thanks

Sacks
09-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Wow.. just wow. So damn creative, very nice work man. Like many of the others on here... we need a 10min youtube video!

druid
09-02-2008, 08:10 AM
A co-worker, who is also planning his wedding, is about half-way done with the board. Once I get it and make sure there aren't any bugs, I'll be getting that video up