PDA

View Full Version : How do I take the gold filter out?

Blue Spyder
08-22-2008, 01:35 PM
I've had my VS2 for a while now but still get some cocking issues every now and then so I decide I am going to take out the gold filter. Im running on HPA so Im guessing taking out the filter won't be a problem. My question is how do I take the dang thing out? I have looked on google and youtube and found nothing. If someone could tell me how or where I could find a video that would be awesome. Thanks.

nastystankweed
08-22-2008, 01:39 PM
have u tried raising the pressure what gold filter are u talking about, is it in the asa??

Blue Spyder
08-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Yah. I guess I over exaggerated a bit with the cocking issues but yes my psi and everything is fine I just want to take the gold filter out. I guess it is used for if you are using CO2. I heard that taking it out helps with some cocking issues. I just want my gun to work perfect. If I don't need the filter I might as well take it out.

druid
08-22-2008, 04:16 PM
is it the "plug" style that is jammed in the hole? Or a screen tha tgoes across the breathe way?

Plug = drill a small hole in the center and then use the smallest easy out or drywall screw. Insert the object into the hole you drilled and pull it out - it will require force because it's smashed in there by machine.

Screen = use an ORing pick, grab the screen and pull.

Blue Spyder
08-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Well I heard its by the on/off valve. It is supposedly a yellow (gold) looking filter that is meant to stop dirt from entering, if you are using C02, but I have HPA so taking it off will help recharge the air much quicker. Allowing 0 cocking problems.

iheartmurder
08-22-2008, 07:49 PM
just unscrew the front part off the asa after you remove the macroline. the filter should fall right out.

TheRedBarron
08-22-2008, 08:03 PM
I wish I had gold in my markers.

Druid's methods should work either way.

vikingshadow
08-23-2008, 05:01 AM
Well I heard its by the on/off valve. It is supposedly a yellow (gold) looking filter that is meant to stop dirt from entering, if you are using C02, but I have HPA so taking it off will help recharge the air much quicker. Allowing 0 cocking problems.

Are you sure you even have one? It sounds like you're going by what you "heard". I'd check first and then if it's there, go with what Druid said.

There used to be filters on Spyders, but I haven't seen one in years (filters, that is). Back then, that was the case. It was to keep dirty Co2 from dirtying up your gun causing recocking issues. BTW, it won't give 0 cocking problems because there are other issues with blowbacks that can cause those problems, but it will help for sure. If you're having problems with it, there may be something else going on.

Like I said, check first. Find it and then if it's actually there, go with what Druid said.

Blue Spyder
08-23-2008, 06:32 AM
Yah. I no this wont fix all cocking problems but it would help. I don't have any cocking problems just it uncocks every once in a while. But what im trying to get to you guys is that If I dont need it I might as well take it out. Im positive there is a gold filter in it.

Blue Spyder
08-23-2008, 06:39 AM
just unscrew the front part off the asa after you remove the macroline. the filter should fall right out.

Thanks I got it. Ill upload a picture to show you what I meant.

Blue Spyder
08-23-2008, 06:42 AM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/Giostigma/Snapshot_20080823_2.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/Giostigma/Snapshot_20080823_1.jpg

druid
08-24-2008, 03:04 AM
yeah...those little creeps get clogged with CO2 grit and can cause cocking problems. I've had to remove every one from every spyder and clone that I've ever owned [that had them] and that settled the recocking issues for me.

florios
08-24-2008, 12:55 PM
is it okay to take them out even if your using c02?

Blue Spyder
08-24-2008, 01:39 PM
is it okay to take them out even if your using c02?

No if you have co2 you would want to keep them in because co2 is dirty and can ruin your board.

vikingshadow
08-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Yes, you can run your gun without the filter in and no, you won't ruin your board.

What will likely happen is the gun MIGHT be a bit dirtier inside because it'll pick up resideue from the gas. You may have to replace orings a bit more often because Co2 tends to eat orings, but honestly, I never had that problem when I was using Co2.

The board has no direct interaction with the gas, so why would it be affected by it? It's not like the gas is released directly onto the board. For the most part, it's directed up and out the front of the gun, with just a bit used to blow the striker back into position, then vented either out the back or through a vent hole well in front of the board. Unless things have changed drastically since I stopped shooting a blowback, your board will NOT be affected.

In short, you will be fine if you use your gun without the filter.

Blue Spyder
08-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Yes, you can run your gun without the filter in and no, you won't ruin your board.

What will likely happen is the gun MIGHT be a bit dirtier inside because it'll pick up resideue from the gas. You may have to replace orings a bit more often because Co2 tends to eat orings, but honestly, I never had that problem when I was using Co2.

The board has no direct interaction with the gas, so why would it be affected by it? It's not like the gas is released directly onto the board. For the most part, it's directed up and out the front of the gun, with just a bit used to blow the striker back into position, then vented either out the back or through a vent hole well in front of the board. Unless things have changed drastically since I stopped shooting a blowback, your board will NOT be affected.

In short, you will be fine if you use your gun without the filter.

Ok Sorry. Dont listen to me. Listen to Viking. He knows more than I do. I just remember hearing that taking it out can ruin your board.

vikingshadow
08-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Well, first of all, call me Vike! :)

Second of all, I'm not all knowing - I've definitely made my share of errors, and some on a daily basis!

I could be totally wrong on this topic because as I said, I haven't used a spyder in a LONG time - and only shot a VS before, so again, I could be wrong. However, it just doesn't make sense that the board would be ruined.

Lastly, it's great having different opinions, because that's how we all learn. I'm hoping someone else comes in and says something, because quite honestly after I posted that, I got to wondering why it could possibly ruined and if it can, someone can explain it.

So, don't put yourself down - if you strongly believe your opinion, definitely stand up for it!

Blue Spyder
08-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Well, first of all, call me Vike! :)

Second of all, I'm not all knowing - I've definitely made my share of errors, and some on a daily basis!

I could be totally wrong on this topic because as I said, I haven't used a spyder in a LONG time - and only shot a VS before, so again, I could be wrong. However, it just doesn't make sense that the board would be ruined.

Lastly, it's great having different opinions, because that's how we all learn. I'm hoping someone else comes in and says something, because quite honestly after I posted that, I got to wondering why it could possibly ruined and if it can, someone can explain it.

So, don't put yourself down - if you strongly believe your opinion, definitely stand up for it!

Alright. Thanks Vike! I just remember hearing that somewhere. Forget where but just remember it. Nvrmind. :)

Ace24
08-24-2008, 10:16 PM
As far as I know, there are no hoses that run through the board area on blow backs. There isn't a way for the CO2 to reach your board, so it shouldn't get fried.

So did this fix the problem you were having?

kmb32123
08-25-2008, 06:44 PM
The only place I could see the gas coming in contast with the board is there is that air is vented out though the trigger frame. This isnt very close to the board though and even if a particle got on the board not much woul happen. The only thing I could see happening is just a little bit more dirt build up in and around the orings. Thats it.