PDA

View Full Version : Barrel

Kunithrayin
08-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Ok so I play woodsball/scenario but we play within like 4 or 5 acres so it usually ends up in fast paced shoot-outs. I need a barrel that can give me good accuracy for the longer range shooting from tree to tree but still be ok for faster paced shooting. Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the SP progressive so what I really need to know is 14" or 16"? I've heard that the 16 inch will waste more air than it's worth but how does the accuracy improvement compare?

Zee
08-22-2008, 12:45 PM
There are so many factors when considering accuracy and choosing a barrel that you can never win. I dont like anything over 14" for the simple reason of mobility. IMO if you play fast paced games...stick to the 14".

Jungle_Expert
08-22-2008, 02:54 PM
A barrel longer than 14" is just a waste of CO2.

slim and shady
08-24-2008, 11:34 AM
the langth of the barrel doesnt do anything for accuracy its the paint bore match that determins that, i would sugest the shorter barrel so you can stay in tighter to your cover.

noobnomore
08-24-2008, 06:46 PM
yeah stay with a shorter barrel its easier to move with in woods.

Mitchell-MR1
08-28-2008, 06:27 PM
I play woods ball in a small field that allways ends up in a real fast fire fight in close range and at a distance. I use a MR1 and use a 14 in J&J. It works well but some days the accurecy is not the best. You will have that with any barrel that is not adjustable bore size.

If I was you I would get a J&J performance kit so that you can adjust the bore to ball size to improve the accurecy each day. The shorter barrel will allow you to stay close to the bunkers or cover to keep from getting shot.

Zee
08-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Accuracy is one thing but consistency is another. CO2 is pretty inconsistent because of temp, humidity and other environmental factors. I use both CO2 and HPA and I find that my shots are more consistent when using HPA.

Kunithrayin
08-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Ok so far everyone I've talked to has told me that length isn't what affects the accuracy. If that's true then why do people use 14"? wouldn't it be more convenient to use something more like a 6 inch? and if you got the ball to bore size right it would be just as accurate??

bigred76
08-30-2008, 01:01 PM
The barrel length DOES matter... it needs to be in the 12-16" range for optimal accuracy (balls reach top velocity in about 8", but the extra length is needed for porting and the like to reduce the "bang" effect at the end that kills accuracy). Anything more than 16" is a waste, however. To get an accurate marker, you need quite a few things: low pressure operation with light internals (less moving mass means less kick), good barrel that's 12-16" long, good paintballs (I prefer Evil and RPS Premiums), good bore match, an HPA tank to increase consistency, and a secondary regulator (to lower the operating pressure -- thus reducing the "chatter" that Spyders do -- and to make the air flow even more consistent).

Kunithrayin
08-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Why then are barrels longer than 16" even made if there not any good?

irishwarrior
08-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Because people buy them. That's why the majority of useless things are made. I have an 18" barrel but that's just for looks (check the sniper link in my sig).

bigred76
08-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Couple 'o reasons...
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=15962

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=16278

Just to start with... New players tend to assume that bigger always means better, when it isn't true. Because they're assuming... well, you should know the saying. :) I'll PM you the post of mine that got deleted (I found it funny, but it was a bit nasty...) if you want the whole story behind those two threads.

slim and shady
08-30-2008, 07:29 PM
ther not "no good" just not as good. As long as people buy them they will just keep making them. It's all a matter of opinion, if your stricktly talking preformence wise yes there is a small group thats best (14" or so) I have alot of barrels from 4" up to 20" They each searve the use for each role that I use them in, for example if im playing urban assult (CQ) I will use the 4". who needs to group a pop can at 50feet when your target is 10 feet away and a foot and a half wide and six feet tall? If I am playing woodsball with no understory or foiledge I will go with my 14" progressive or my 16" barrel kit to try to take advantage of the longer lanes. If im working in heavy understory with very short lanes and heavy cover I will use my 20" so I can sit right in a thick patch with alot of protection and just stick the barrel out. If all I played was speedball then yeah I would get cought up on what is "best". My point is that what is "best" entirly depends on the situation that you are in. So look at your situation what style you play where you play and what form of paintball. If you are looking for a good all around choice, good for everything so to speak then around 14" should do it. personaly I really like barrel kits and if I was going to try to sway you in any direction it would be that one. I think they are a great pick up. so make a good choice!

bigred76
08-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Don't trample on my parade, Slim... ;)

slim and shady
08-31-2008, 08:39 AM
I figured if you were venturing back down to the MR forums to the rest of us vermin you must be board and looking for some excitment!

bigred76
08-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Nah, I'm too bored to stir **** up. Just bringing the "Enlightenment" to these parts of the boards. :)

I guess you could say I'm stuck in my ways.I play all kinds of ball, and I've never found a use for a barrel longer or shorter than 16"... It's just my preference. In speedball, I can tuck the gun in a little better with it, without sacrificing anything. In woodsball, it doesn't really matter. I tend to just chase people down and overwhelm them there... nubelets are so typically afraid of me in my gear with my "**** You" sandana on and my Borg blazing at 15bps. Heck, I don't even need to shoot half the time! They see my gun and instantly think I'm a bad-ass. *shrug* Works for me! :D

Darcman
09-09-2008, 07:04 PM
i have read this entire forum and it was very informative and quite humorous at the end. thanks for the knowlwdge and the laughs.

slim and shady
09-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Glad you enjoyed it......

pballer113
04-26-2009, 11:53 AM
lol i enjoyed it too

sniper boss
05-29-2010, 06:54 PM
get an apex on a 12in. they are cheap work well and accurate. also u can ajust the range. only get the tip put duct tape on a barrel u have and fit it on. then u have the perfect barrel for $35

xsvly-fat
05-30-2010, 05:10 PM
lol i enjoyed it too

That's what she said.

vikingshadow
05-31-2010, 03:29 PM
I never use longer than a 14" barrel and rarely 14" at all. I prefer a 12" barrel, to tell the truth. All I need on a paintball field. The 14" is when I play in the woods to push through brush. Ball to barrel match - that's my thought on the matter.

With that said, everything else has been said already, but the reason people still buy longer than 16" is because they still think there's such thing as a paintball "sniper".

Ooooooo, I didn't go there, did I? I think I did! AND NOW, let this thread REALLY get going! Hehehehehe...

slim and shady
05-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Back for a few minutes and already stiring **** up! Missed yeah Vike :D

Hob Hayward
05-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Haha well arguably with the FS rounds there now is such thing as a pb sniper...

green-n-ugly
05-31-2010, 05:58 PM
Talking about barrels ... I read that the rap4 rifled tactical barrel was no good, but I didn't believe it.

I'm not impressed.

I had a rifled barrel for my TL-X back a few years ago and it was the straightest shot I ever had. I am very disappointed with the rap4 barrel.