PDA

View Full Version : For the same price, I coulda had a DM8 or Ego8...

SharpObjects
08-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Had to buy a car to get to and from school and work.
Its a '91 Saab 900, only 75,700 miles. Cost about the same as a new DM8, but I needed a ride so...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/Deserveashake/saab900.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/Deserveashake/saab902.jpg

Didn't want a Civic or Carrolla like all my friends drive...boring, blah.

I haven't been able to drive it yet, it needs to be insured and registered. Also I need to learn how to drive a manual. Cannot wait. :D

Nader
08-20-2008, 02:16 PM
oof.

Good luck if it ever needs work done on it. :D

SharpObjects
08-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Ah no worries. It's no worse then a Volvo or BMW ;)

Plus, there is a Saab dealer only about 5 miles away. I'm not worried at all. I've seen 900s go for 300,000+ miles, and I expect this one to be just as fine. Plus, she hasn't been beat to hell like the Turbo models usually are.

LostCause
08-20-2008, 03:02 PM
its a 91 and only has 75,700 jeez....my 2204 accord has 92,000...lucky bugger.. Saabs are good cars though :D

so did you stright trade car for dm8

08Lud08
08-20-2008, 03:05 PM
If you have someone that thoroughly explains it, you can learn manual in less than a day. when my dad taught me he just told me to figure it out myself, so it took me a while.

SharpObjects
08-20-2008, 03:40 PM
No I didn't trade her for anything. As much as I'd like a DM8...anybody need a car??? haha jk jk

Oh yeah, my father is teaching me, and I have a few friends nice enough to teach me if needed. My father is Swedish so he loves the car, he wants to restore it (slowly) to factory condition. He wants me to take care of it, so he pretty much has to teach me. :p

DisIsMyUsername
08-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Manual > auto.

wouldnt be my 1st choice for a car but anything is reliable as long as you take the necessary care.

Maybe i'm biased, but I never rly had faith in saabs. How's the interior?

Muddytaco
08-20-2008, 04:31 PM
its a 91 and only has 75,700 jeez....my 2204 accord has 92,000...lucky bugger.. Saabs are good cars though :D

so did you stright trade car for dm8

Does it fly?

LostCause
08-20-2008, 06:23 PM
tired....sorry...

i fail

SharpObjects
08-20-2008, 06:33 PM
We've looked all over for something decent with low miles. My father has owned a few Saabs and really wanted me to have one. I kinda caved but I love it :)

The interior is very clean. The headlining is coming down a little bit, thats the only thing really wrong with her. I like the interior just fine, the only thing I plan on adding is a nice CD/mp3 player. There is so much room in the back. If you fold the seats down you can fit so much gear, perfect for the musician in me, or for tail-gating and whatnot. Its around 6 cubic feet of space.

Saabs are great, if you get the classics before GM bought them out. I think that was around 94, don't really remember though.

DFSniper
08-20-2008, 06:37 PM
my '01 galant has 123K miles...

the only saab i've ever really liked was the 93... but hey, a car is a car. i paid $4600 for mine, and probably another $1000 in repairs once i'm done.

ninja: i still think the best car deal on here was nenkitsune's datsun. $900 for a '78 300zx

Ace24
08-20-2008, 07:53 PM
my '01 galant has 123K miles...

the only saab i've ever really liked was the 93... but hey, a car is a car. i paid $4600 for mine, and probably another $1000 in repairs once i'm done.

ninja: i still think the best car deal on here was nenkitsune's datsun. $900 for a '78 300zx

My Camry has 187k miles and it's a '99. I don't like how Saabs look... or how they have that stupid key.

Psh, my car deal was better. It was free.

SharpObjects
08-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Really? The ignition is so awesome. I admit, it may mot be for everyone, but its my car, no one else has to (or gets to!) drive it. I luv it.

From my working knowledge, I feel more comfortable owning this then a used Japanese small car. New doesn't count because serriously, who buys a brand new car anymore?

Ace24
08-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Why would you feel more comfortable owning that? First off, it's GM...

Secondly, Japanese cars have more space, better gas efficiency, better looks (IMO), higher trade in value (my Camry, in it's current state, is still worth $2k KBB Value), engines will last as long as you take care of them, and they're light and fun to drive. They also have the highest crash ratings. They're also cheaper to buy parts for. My dads headlights on his Century were $175 A PEICE! (And that was for the aftermarket ones... from the factory/dealership they're like $250) Mine are $90.

I'd rather drive a Volvo than a Saab. Unless it was a 93 Turbo.

SharpObjects
08-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Woah there slugger.

First off, it is NOT a GM. Its a 91, before GM bought them out.

I wouldn't ever drive a used Carrolla, Civic, Camry, whatever because the odds are its been beaten to hell, riced out, especially for our price range.

Do I need to post a picture of the trunk space? I fold down the front seats and get 6 cubic feet of space in the back. Saabs always have great cargo and passenger space. At least the older models.

Looks are one thing. I love the way it looks, its different. Kinda like owning an autococker I guess. Different.
I've said it before, I've seen 900s (preGM) go 300,000+ miles. I'm not worried about the clutch or engine going. It's built like a tank.

Trade-in value? I don't ever plan on trading it in. I might give it to a family member for a couple hundred. As a first car, I plan on owning it way past college.

The 900 was Saabs venture into practicality and safety. I feel safer in this car then my father's Rav-4. I wouldn't even look at a Volvo, the box cousin.

And 900s (non-turbos) get around 26/30mpg. Pretty damn good I think.

Jeeze, all I did was post a picture of my car. I never thought I'd have to defend it too. I already know it was a good purchase. I actually had the chance to drive it today. It's peppy, shifted real smooth, and is a LOT more fun to drive then my sister's Mazda, or my mother's Toyota.

TheDarkShadow
08-21-2008, 05:26 PM
ugly, but you like it, that's the main thing

nastystankweed
08-21-2008, 07:57 PM
coool congrats man

can everyone stop beatting on em. jeeeezzz

Ace24
08-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Woah there slugger.

First off, it is NOT a GM. Its a 91, before GM bought them out.

I wouldn't ever drive a used Carrolla, Civic, Camry, whatever because the odds are its been beaten to hell, riced out, especially for our price range.

You can beat the hell out of them and they will still give you 250k+ miles on the engine. For your price range? You're not looking in the right places. We get our cars from auctions for pennies on the dollar and they work great.

Do I need to post a picture of the trunk space? I fold down the front seats and get 6 cubic feet of space in the back. Saabs always have great cargo and passenger space. At least the older models.

My Camry, an Accord, and other imports in the same class as the two get more then that with the seats folded down. Not very impressed.

Jeeze, all I did was post a picture of my car. I never thought I'd have to defend it too. I already know it was a good purchase. I actually had the chance to drive it today. It's peppy, shifted real smooth, and is a LOT more fun to drive then my sister's Mazda, or my mother's Toyota.

What models do your mother and sister own?

I'm just saying that you could have done better for what you paid.

Keep in mind we got a 2002 Buick Century Custom back in 2003 for $2k and the car only had 41k miles. ;)

SharpObjects
08-22-2008, 05:39 PM
We've looked at auctions in our area, nothing impressed us really, just a lot of pricey junk.

I didn't like the idea of owning something beat. The engine may keep going, but what about the rest of the car? I wasn't about to spring for anything Japanese in that price unless I knew where it came from and how it was taken care of.

I'm sorry I fail to impress you when you're compacts get so much more space. I haven't seen a camry, accord, civic (insert other) that has been able to carry my 2x15 cab and head to a gig comfortably, along with my other gear.

My mom owns a 95 Camry, and my sister owns a 01 (I think) Mazda Protege, which has aftermarket rims on it. Both automatic. The Mazda drives much better then the Camry, but after taking mine on the road it just has this, I don't know, it was just a lot of fun to drive. The turning is not as good as the Protege, but not as sloppy as the Camry.

Meh, I really don't care to argue that my car is better because I'm not saying that. I'm just saying for the price, for the year-to-milage ratio, and the fact that it is mine, and not a cookie-cutter, makes it ideal for me. Lets just say we agree to disagree. :cool:

Some more pictures.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/Deserveashake/saab3.jpg
The whole interior is very clean.

The dash is in great condition. No missing buttons, everything works, the trim is clean.http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/Deserveashake/saab4.jpg
And that radio placement is the BEST on any car PERIOD. Not because it's mine or because it's a Saab, but because my hand barely has to leave the steering wheel. Uber ergonomics anyone?

And just a little under the hood. Nothing to brag about, or rev the jerk next to me in his car with the stickers.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/Deserveashake/saab5.jpg
Opening the hood up is just so cool, the way it moves forward and up. I don't know, I haven't seen anything like it so I digg it.

TheDarkShadow
08-23-2008, 05:12 PM
that interior is very clean for the age

Ace24
08-23-2008, 10:45 PM
that interior is very clean for the age

That I will agree with. But keep in mind the low mileage. That usually means the car will be in good condition no matter how old. (Unless left out in the weather)

Sloppy? Maybe the car isn't well maintained? Also, a Protege isn't the top of the line Mazda... Try a 626 or a Mazda 6. Zoom Zoom...

Well no **** it's funner to drive. It's a standard :p

You probably don't have an auction of which I'm talking about then... haha.

I just get the impression that you don't like forgein cars... period. :p Hate to break it to you though... but every car is a cookie cutter car. Unless you build it yourself.

Anyway, it's your car. Thats what matters. At least you have a standard. I'm stuck with an auto... and dear God is it boring at times. I have to play around with the e-break and high speeds to even keep myself awake sometimes. But I do really love my car.

SharpObjects
08-24-2008, 07:16 AM
The camry is maintained just fine, like any other car. Trust me, I know it has. That car is babied. It's probably because its been on several cross-country trips.

I never thought the Protege was top of the line. It's just a step up from the camry.

Not because it's a standard, it just had this quality about it, not really sure what it was. It could have been an auto and I would feel the same. Its fun to drive in general.

We tried ebay and police auctions. Really, what else is there?

I like foreign cars, thats why I went with a Saab. I would have gone with a Volkswagen if i could have found one.

And I hate to disagree, but it isn't a cookie cutter. It isn't a standard sedan you see everywhere. If you mean its a cookie cutter of a 5-door 900, then I
could see that. But what other car really looks like the c900? I'm talking looks, not chassis, or engine placement, or the fact that it has four wheels.

I will say, driving the camry after driving the Saab, I get really bored. I like "being one with the car".

Ace24
08-24-2008, 10:26 PM
The camry is maintained just fine, like any other car. Trust me, I know it has. That car is babied. It's probably because its been on several cross-country trips.

I never thought the Protege was top of the line. It's just a step up from the camry.

I have to correct you here... A Protege is in no way a step up from Toyota's mid end sedan. The Camry is the most valued and wanted car (last time I checked) and it is priced higher, as well as better build and equipped than the Protege.

Not because it's a standard, it just had this quality about it, not really sure what it was. It could have been an auto and I would feel the same. Its fun to drive in general.

We tried ebay and police auctions. Really, what else is there?

We go to impound auto auctions. There buried treasure is the only way I can describe it.

I like foreign cars, thats why I went with a Saab. I would have gone with a Volkswagen if i could have found one.

And I hate to disagree, but it isn't a cookie cutter. It isn't a standard sedan you see everywhere. If you mean its a cookie cutter of a 5-door 900, then I
could see that. But what other car really looks like the c900? I'm talking looks, not chassis, or engine placement, or the fact that it has four wheels.

Cookie cutter. It's the same as any other 900. It still fits into the cookie cutter mold. I guess we have different definitions of "cookie cutter." The way you're talking seems like you mean to say conformity. That you didn't want to conform and buy the same car as most of the other people.

I will say, driving the camry after driving the Saab, I get really bored. I like "being one with the car".

I'm "One with the car" no matter what vehicle I am in. It takes me a couple mins of being in it while driving to get the feeling fully, but give me a Jeep, a S2k, a Yugo, and I will drive it, and park it like I've been driving it for years.

What plans do you have for the 900? You did say you wanted to restore it, but is there anything else you're going to do with it?

TheDarkShadow
08-25-2008, 03:25 PM
you should drop that bad ***** :dodgy:

SharpObjects
08-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Well, about the Protege/camry, as it stands, that particular Protege is better then that particular camry.

And I must stand corrected, its an 03 Protege, not a 01. Not sure if it matters, probably doesn't.

I just mean that it feels very different from the automatic, I like how I can control the way the car feels.

We're only going to restore it to factory condition, slowly. The only thing I plan on changing is the radio. We plan on painting it too, but the same grey/graphite color and that won't be until I'm out of college.

lmao, we won't be dropping it. I might like to put on some different wheels though. Not quite sure.

Ace24
08-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Very nice. I'm looking into some kicks for my car right now too. Going to cost me at the lowest $825 for what I want. *sigh* Thankfully this manager position is paying more now. >.>

Are you going to do the painting yourself? I've got a couple rust spots where a car hit me in a parking lot and dinged my left back quarter-panel that I've got to get touched up, some scrapes on the opposite side where a car did the same thing and a little rust bubble under the license plate light that I need touched up. After that I'm going to tint the windows. Rims and tires are coming last. ^^;

How long do you plan on keeping this one? With that low mileage you might have it for another 8-10 years haha. I'm hoping to get another 5 out of mine.

SharpObjects
08-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Ouch, well getting paid more usually helps. I actually had to cut my hours for school.

Probably not, I don't really trust myself. We're probably going to leave it to some friends in the business. Its got rust spots here and there but we'll probably give it a full new coat anyway for that "NEW!" look.

Oh yeah, it'll be in the family for a good while. ;)

After college, after I'm settled with a place and a steady career, I plan on purchasing my dream car, a '81 Delorean. All that Back to the Future made me want one when I was a kid haha. No power, all looks but it looks great (to me) :)