PDA

View Full Version : short vs long barrels

hoodtrix
08-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Ok i was thinking about getting a 12" barrel
http://www.opsgear.com/G36-Paintball-Barrel-for-Tippmann-A5-p/tts-barrel-g36-12in-a5.htm (yes ill get the spyder to tip adapter)
I really like the front tipp portion of it, but does using a 12" barrel lower how far my balls will travel?

Ace24
08-17-2008, 11:53 PM
No it doesn't. I mean, maybe by a foot or two... but honestly, you won't notice the difference all that much.

Velocity determines how far the ball will go.

slim and shady
08-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Like Ace said velocity is what determins how far the ball will go it doesnt mater if you have a 21" barrel of a 3" barrel if it leaves the barrel traveling 300 FPS there going to go the same distance. The only thing that makes a paintball travel farther is backspin, such products as the Apex, flatline and lowblow bolt give these effects. 14" is probably the most common anything after that starts to use up air consumption a bit more hope that helps.

xsvly-fat
08-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah a longer barrel makes a little bit of difference but you don't really notice it. It's mainly about barrel to bore size

florios
08-19-2008, 12:00 AM
well a longer barrel is help full in woods ball because some times you need to shoot people from a distance and barrels that arent bore'd big enough or are way too short ( 8 inch est.) may veer of course so it will be a little harder to aim so i would go with a .691

also i donr know about the rest of you but i noticed that my 16 inch makes quite a big differense in distance

this may help you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwN03gMASew

This is what mike sayd on youtube if your too lazy to watch the video

"Anything less than 14" is too short
Anything over 16" is too long
14" or 16" work the best

For bore size, all paintballs typically start out around .689. But as heat, moisture and humidity starts to affect the ball throughout the day, the paintballs will rapidly expand.

You want the paintball to ROLL OUT of the barrel at the start of the day. I personally prefer 14" Barrels, and here are my personal recommendations-

14" Barrels-

.691 Bob Long Marq 1 Piece
.692 Dye Ultralite 2 Piece
.693 CP 14" 1 Piece Classic Barrel **
.694 Bob Long Marq 2 Piece

If you insist on using a 16" barrel, here are my recommendations-

.691 16" CP 2 Piece Pro Barrel
.692 16" Dye Ultralite
.693 16" CP 2 Piece Pro Barrel
.694 16" Bob Long Marq 2 Piece Barrel

14" in my opinion is the BEST length for a paintball barrel. The sooner you can get the ball out of the barrel, the better chance you have of it not breaking in the barrel. 14" is the universal length I recommend, and the .693 14" CP Barrel is the most universal barrel I recommend. "

bigred76
08-19-2008, 12:14 AM
Matchstiks are good barrels, as well as Ultralites. 14" and 16" barrels are perfect for everything. A larger bore means that all the balls will fit the barrel, but it will affect efficiency and sound levels. A perfect paint-to-bore match is your best bet for accuracy, but a really good overbored barrel like the two I said are almost as good, and easier to come by.

slim and shady
08-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Matchstiks are good barrels, as well as Ultralites. 14" and 16" barrels are perfect for everything. A larger bore means that all the balls will fit the barrel, but it will affect efficiency and sound levels. A perfect paint-to-bore match is your best bet for accuracy, but a really good overbored barrel like the two I said are almost as good, and easier to come by.

WTF where is the typical Red rant about long barrels? :confused:

bigred76
08-19-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm holding onto it until someone posts about them... http://tinyurl.com/6gt2q7

Hob Hayward
08-19-2008, 10:06 PM
I would argue 12" to 14" is best, 16" is starting to push it..

And no, it makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE how long the barrel is in terms of range, a ball fired at 300 fps from a 2" barrel will travel just as far as one from a 14" barrel and just as far as one from a 20" barrel. 12-14 will give a nice balance between efficiency and noise.

villageidiot019
09-25-2008, 09:41 AM
I just want to say if you get like a 21 inch barrel if I will virtually punch you in the face. This guy I play with HAD a 21 inch barrel and it was pretty inaccurate. I had my Apex and mine shot about the same distance and I hit the tree, he missed about 3 or 4 shots before he hit the tree.

P.S. I probably wont virtually punch you just don't get a barrel bigger then 16