PDA

View Full Version : I'm truly scared....

druid
08-16-2008, 09:43 AM
My 11 year old daughter Elizabeth is exceptionally bright, having an IQ of 137. She plays the violin and is 1st chair, 1st violin in her middle school orchestra.

Her Conductor is also the Band master...who came to her and said "we need more people in the band...are you interested?" She said, "Hrm...what's the closest instrument to a Bag Pipe?" and he responded "probably the Clarinet." She said, "OK fine" and brought the instrument home - not having a single lesson or knowing how to assemble the instrument....

For the past few weeks, she has been dabbling with playing my practice chanter and knows the scale, some grace notes and a few tunes from the College of Piping tutor book...

Within 3 hours she managed to teach herself the freaking clarinet with only the book as her guide and she was done with the book.

She went back the next day and the Band Master asked how she was doing and she offered an "audition" for the clarinet. According to Elizabeth's girlfriend (who is about as bright and is like a conjoined twin...always at her side), the Band Master stood there with his jaw hanging open...

She came home with more music and within 7 hours, is playing the first 4 musical selections for their street parade medley......

What the freak?

To make this all funny.....she can't walk and chew gum at the same time. She trips walking across a level floor.

Am I doomed or what??

DFSniper
08-16-2008, 09:49 AM
haha, you have a female einstein on your hands...

my sister is 15 and plays flute and trumpet. she started playing flute at 12 or 13 and is first chair at her school and started playing trumpet last school year for marching band. she wants to get into Julliard, but only practices for an hour or two a day...

especiialypsycho
08-16-2008, 09:53 AM
VERY VERY JEALOUS :dodgy:

interceptorMR2
08-16-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm similar with music like that as well, I guess I'm bright, but I could care less for honors classes unless it has to do with history. I picked up the guitar when I was in 6th grade and after a few days of playing I was able to play a bunch of sum 41 songs. I have never had a lesson in my life, never used a book, and I play avenged sevenfold solos. I was similar with the trumpet in 5th grade, I quit last year because it became more than I wanted (band instructor making it into a lifestyle, not an elective) and I was second chair trumpet in my Varsity jazz band in 8th grade. You got quite the kid on your hands there man, thats amazing how she taught herself all of that in such a short period of time.

MVS1
08-16-2008, 10:13 AM
My 11 year old daughter Elizabeth is exceptionally bright, having an IQ of 137. She plays the violin and is 1st chair, 1st violin in her middle school orchestra.

Her Conductor is also the Band master...who came to her and said "we need more people in the band...are you interested?" She said, "Hrm...what's the closest instrument to a Bag Pipe?" and he responded "probably the Clarinet." She said, "OK fine" and brought the instrument home - not having a single lesson or knowing how to assemble the instrument....

For the past few weeks, she has been dabbling with playing my practice chanter and knows the scale, some grace notes and a few tunes from the College of Piping tutor book...

Within 3 hours she managed to teach herself the freaking clarinet with only the book as her guide and she was done with the book.

She went back the next day and the Band Master asked how she was doing and she offered an "audition" for the clarinet. According to Elizabeth's girlfriend (who is about as bright and is like a conjoined twin...always at her side), the Band Master stood there with his jaw hanging open...

She came home with more music and within 7 hours, is playing the first 4 musical selections for their street parade medley......

What the freak?

To make this all funny.....she can't walk and chew gum at the same time. She trips walking across a level floor.

Am I doomed or what??

I thought you where Irish/scottish not polish :D . (intent behind that comment) My wife's heritage is polish (half from her mom's side, straight from poland both grandparents) and you could have just descirbed my wife and daughter with your post......so yea, basically your F'D!!!!!!! Get her into Guiliard (sp) now before they know what their facing ;)

SpyderMan723
08-16-2008, 10:21 AM

Am I doomed or what??

lulz:D

battlechaser
08-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Pretty much. If she has the same talent with a paintball marker, you might be in trouble big guy. :p

irishwarrior
08-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Wow. Your daughter's got skills!

xsvly-fat
08-16-2008, 04:28 PM

Am I doomed or what??

Haha that is funny

DisIsMyUsername
08-16-2008, 05:14 PM
well being that she already knew music through the violin, its not as hard to learn another instrument but still, major props to your daughter.

I started playing sax, then guitar, then picked up an oboe (directors request lol he said he thought I was talented enough)

all I needed to learn I learned in beginning band. From then on, if you give me an instrument and a fingering chart, I could probably pick it up...But probably not as good as those who use that as a primary instrument.

Is she good academically?

I was way lazy with school. Did the minimum in all classes lol. Just enough to pass with a good grade.

oldironmudder
08-16-2008, 05:27 PM
What the freak?

Am I doomed or what??

Dude, it's in the water!!!

Ace24
08-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Tell her to run for president when she's older. She's already got Bush beat with intelligence. :)

TheDarkShadow
08-17-2008, 06:36 AM
that's insane