PDA

View Full Version : Yet another computer question!

bigred76
08-16-2008, 12:39 AM
OK, time for another one. Pretty simple: I am looking into getting a new laptop around the $1,000 mark, but would be willing to get one for less if it was worth it, of course. I loathe Macs so IBooks are out of the question, don't even bring them up. Whatever it is, I will be most likely putting XP Pro on it (which I can get from my father's tech classes for about $15), and don't care for the Vista bells and whistles that piss me off and don't do what I want them to. I'd prefer a Dell or an IBM as they've always done me and my father well, and have proven themselves as solid computers. I would like a 15.4" model, as it seems to be the perfect size screen for me. Smaller ones just plain bug me, and larger ones start to get in my way. I spec'd out an IBM earlier tonight that is pretty much what I'm looking for:

ThinkPad T61 15 Widescreen $1,147.50, but can get 10% discount until tomorrow night for a price of $1,077.25

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop version 10
15.4 WSXGA+ TFT
Intel GMA X3100 GM965
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
160GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
9 cell Li-Ion Battery
6465: Express - 1 Yr Depot Warranty

The price is a biiiiiiit more than I want to pay, but with the prices of laptops as thy are, I consider it rather decent considering that half of the add-ons are currently half-off (CPU, HDD, RAM, etc). It's a Linux lappy, as that version was $100 cheaper than the Vista version right off the bat. Seeing as I loathe Vista... it was the better option. With the Back to School sales running at most places, I'd like to snag one rather quickly to catch whatever savings I can.

Also... Dell and IBM's website has BillMeLater. I've seen it before but have never considered using it until now (money doesn't quite move in an instant!), as the offer through their websites is that orders over $750 (which I qualify for) do not get charged the finance fees if paid before a 6 month period expire (easily done, just need a couple days). It requires a credit approval, which, at 19 and no credit card to my name, I don't think I can do. However, I believe my parents can with their good credit if I do not qualify. Any thoughts on this as well?

Thanks for any input!

EDIT: Just thought of something... with the Linux laptop, I could even have a partition for XP Pro and one for Linux, just so I could tinker with both depending on my mood. Just throwing that in the mix.

DFSniper
08-16-2008, 05:15 AM
hmm... have you checked newegg's laptops? i'll see what i can find later. and since you're running dual core now, try to get a 64 bit version of XP Pro to get the most out of your system.

all in all, it looks like a pretty decent workhorse. granted, it won't play a lot of newer games, but that doesn't really matter, right?

edit: did some searching on newegg, and if you wanted to drop the CPU down about .5GHz, you could save yourself $200-$300. but as far as 2.5GHz cpu lappys go, you have a pretty good deal there!

durrell
08-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Woot! ThinkPads are awesome.

I'd recommend changing that wireless to the ThinkPad wireless card if you ever are considering planning to run Linux. I just know that 3945 is very Linux unfriendly. I'd highly recommend checking out Linux.

I have a ThinkPad r61i that I sold my MacBook and bought, and I've never been happier! I'm dual booting XP Pro and Ubuntu 8.04 and I've yet to have a single issue. :)

If you have any Linux (or other questions) let me know.

Muddytaco
08-16-2008, 12:52 PM
I would pass on that thinkpad and go for this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8907052&type=product&id=1213046783444

As for billmelater I heard it is a joke from several photography websites, people were getting charges added to there account, there website for making payments is down alot and its almost impossible to speak to a real person when trying to contact them. I was going to use to get a canon L lens but after reading the reviews I passed.

durrell
08-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Dell over Lenovo? :confused:

DFSniper
08-16-2008, 05:18 PM
i have to agree with D. i've never been a dell fan, slow and prone to breaking (in my experiences). on the other hand, i got my IBM Thinkpad A20m (google it for specs, its designed for 98/2000) from my parent's friends, threw a new hard drive in it, and its good to go. IMO, lenovo did the right thing with Thinkpads, because these things are BEASTS!

dave, newegg has better deals than that dell too.

bigred76
08-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I am about to install Linux (two distro's, the newest Ubuntu and the newest SimplyMepis) onto my spare HDD and put it into my current laptop to try it out. We'll see if I like it enough to keep it around, but it looks like SUSE is decent enough in the world of Linux. Thanks for agreeing with me on IBM! My dad runs T41's almost exclusively, and they're damned good machines... Just too slow for me as I'm going to buy one and be set for a while. Most likely, this also will be a desktop replacement. If so I'd pick up one of their... I don't even know what to call them! Docking stations? My dad has one at my house for my mother's downstairs T41, and it is great for what it is (extra ports, easier angle to view and use computer for long periods of time).

Since I don't want to upgrade the laptop at a later date, I will need to get the higher GHz processor. I hate that I can't just get a straight up 2.6ghz CPU anymore, I have to get Duo Core... so ****ing retarded. It's not like I'm going to ever fully use that capability, if at ALL! I'm not into AutoCad, and don't ever see myself using it, nor see the average user needing it... so what the hell is the point behind it??? ****ing retarded!!! In old autocad computers, they used to use two processors: one for the math and one for the rest of the data. The Dual Core came out as a way to condense that old, inefficient way of computing down into one, efficient, fast CPU. That way of computing is ENTIRELY different from a standard, personal 32bit Windows user's program's requirements. To top it off, many of the programs still do not utilize the function of the Dual Cores. Heck, you can't even begin to think about it with a 32bit system as it cannot do it!

Oh, and Doc... I can't put another wireless card in it. That's the only option that particular laptop has. I have a PCMIA card if need be.

Thanks for the heads up on BillMeLater, Dave! Looks like I'm just going to have to wait a week for my paycheck to come in so I can get it without COMPLETELY draining my accounts.

durrell
08-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Tim, if you're going to be installing Linux on the ThinkPad then this may be of interest to you:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

But with the newest Ubuntu (8.04) the wireless drivers worked out of the box. According to that wiki, the 8945ABG drivers have gotten much better so you should be fine.

As far as Lenovo goes..I don't know that I'll ever buy another brand. I absolutely love mine. It's ugly as sin, but it is an absolute tank. I can throw it in my backpack and go and never worry about busting it or anything.

Also, speaking of that being too much for you, you may want to consider checking into an R series Thinkpad. That's what I have. Mine has a 1.8ghz Core Duo (lower end dual cores) with 2GB of RAM and it is plenty fast. For what you're using it for, it would be perfect. And it would cost you around 300 dollars less. Plus you have a much longer waiting period on the T-series. Just a suggestion.

Muddytaco
08-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Just for the record I only mentioned that dell for the specs since he said he was looking for IBM or dell, he already had thinkpad picked out so I gave him dell around same price, Personally I hate both:p

bigred76
08-17-2008, 02:09 AM
If I remember right, you're using a Dell, Dave. :smirk:

As I told ya on AIM... I'm REALLY looking to get a fast ass laptop, as my 1.33ghz Speedstep in my current laptop is sloooooooooooow.... My desktop had a 2.4ghz P4 HT, and that was plenty fast. :tongue:

dub2001
08-19-2008, 08:49 PM
check out www.geeks.com they usually have really good deals.