PDA

View Full Version : Starting highschool tuesday

especiialypsycho
08-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Im starting Highschool next tuesday and im really scared, is it really like it is on TV and stuff, will it be waaaaay harder than what middleschool, any tips on how to not get bullied and how to get good grades, and generally how to have the most fun wth the least trouble?

durrell
08-13-2008, 09:24 PM
High school is a breeze. Nothing like you see on TV.

Just work hard and get to college.

bigred76
08-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Basically, you have two options: stick with the people you have been hanging out with, or find new friends. It's all up to you, but keep in mind that you need to keep your nose clean and to stand up for yourself. Your thoughts are valid just as anyone else's, so voice them. Don't be afraid to be yourself!

You'll be just fine, starting high school isn't anything compared to starting life after it... Take in all you can, and love it while you can!

HelpDeskHustler
08-14-2008, 06:35 AM
High school is a breeze. false Nothing like you see on TV. troof

That's my experience, then again I went to a HARD high school, so maybe my perspective is skewed. I got pwn't by highschool freshman year. But then like I started pwn'ting it. But it was nothing like TV. TV tries to make drama, there will be people like that who make drama for no reason, just avoid them, and get normal friends.

Ultimate tip: be cool to other people, they'll be cool to you.

interceptorMR2
08-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Good advice you guys. Relatively speaking, high school is pretty much nothin. Sure it gets harder, but thats because you are preparing for college and such, but nothing to worry about, just work hard, stay out of trouble, and definetly don't be one of those loud and idiotic freshmen. They annoy everyone to no end, so just stick to the "cool/not annoying freshmen" approach and you will be fine. My high school is pretty different to most highschools in my area just because its a small school with a total of about 600 people and pretty much everyone is nice to eachother.

Oh and if you can, get involved in lots of school activities and such, it can make high school a better experience for you. The great thing about getting involved in fundraisers/setting up dances/etc is that its also an awesome way to meet new friends (there tends to be a lot of girls that get involved in that kind of stuff at my school haha)

Hossy
08-14-2008, 07:49 AM
I would suggest that you get into clubs and do sports or other activities, but just dont go out there and join everything, especially things you are not interested in. There are so many clubs at my school I cant name them all, so I am sure there will be a variety at your school.
You also have to remember your place in school. You will be a freshman, bottom of the Totem Pole, gonna get made fun of by upperclassman, and may end up doing some of the cruddy work (if you are on a team or something). Dont walk in and think your hott stuff, because the next thing you know someone older will put you in your place and you will look like a fool. Just be kind, keep your nose clean, but meet alot of people and also enjoy the ride, the next 4 years will go by fast. Keep your grades up. Dont get caught up in the drama. Dont fall over every girl you see. etc, you get the deal.

The Pumper
08-14-2008, 09:30 AM
I just graduated.
I never studied for anything. I did alright.
At times it'll get hard, but dont let it bother you.

Ace24
08-14-2008, 09:38 AM
That's my experience, then again I went to a HARD high school, so maybe my perspective is skewed. I got pwn't by highschool freshman year. But then like I started pwn'ting it. But it was nothing like TV. TV tries to make drama, there will be people like that who make drama for no reason, just avoid them, and get normal friends.

Ultimate tip: be cool to other people, they'll be cool to you.

My school was full of that.

It's really not that bad. When you're a freshman you usually don't talk to many people to start off with, but then you get into the flow of things. Try to make friends. It will be a lot more enjoyable in the end if you do.

As far as the work load? I had a similar experience as HDH did. My school was ranked #4 in the United States while I was going there and even in the normal, non-AP/IB courses, they pushed you as hard as they could.

HelpDeskHustler
08-14-2008, 09:42 AM
STUDY. Take the hardest schedule you can handle. Trust me. Don't slack off senior year. Visit colleges Junior year, get recommendations Junior Year. Take your first SATs and ACTs sophomore year and keep taking them up until the beginning of senior year. Only stop when you feel you have maxed out your possible score, study for ONE section of the SAT/ACT for each time you take it. Get some extra-curriculars, being in something ALL 4 years is better than being in a bunch of stuff 1 year at a time.

This may seem like an overkill, but some people need it.

98% of my class is attending college, and you better believe it's because my school basically forced us to do everything EARLY, and well. FYI, I was waitlisted to 2 schools, and after I sat down and wrote a real resume outside of their little crapplication, I got in to both. College is the best investment you can make, it's pretty hard to go wrong, even with some of the cheapest or least reputable schools, the effect on your life for the amount of money you spend will be ENORMOUS, don't underestimate it.

The Pumper
08-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Wow. That seems like a waste lol.
But I'm a slacker. If you want a good college to look at you, do what HDH said.

DisIsMyUsername
08-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Keep yourself informed about college **** by the end of 10th grade.

Dont stick to clicks. Hang with different ppl everyday, if not it'll get boring.

and as everyone else said just do what you gotta do. Depends on what level you want to achieve (Like if your goal is getting into an ivy league then you gotta bust your ass) If not keep your head up, speak your mind, ask questions, make friends but keep your closest friends around always. probably like 95% of the ppl you met in high school, you wont see after you graduate.

spitfirocks
08-14-2008, 10:02 AM
what school? Mine is starting tues also..Imma be a sophy tho.

DisIsMyUsername
08-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Don't do drugs either. lol Atleast don't associate with them, just dont get addicted. lawl.

and do your HW, don't slack like I did. I did good in tests and barely did HW (which is the easy part)

but most of all have fun, go to alot of activities and shows. pep rallies, football games, plays, comedies, outings. One thing I'll never forget is all those good times.

take pictures up the ass too, and mack the ladies.

irishwarrior
08-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Don't get mixced in with the wrong crowd adn put effort in HW. I was in all honors and didn't really do much of my homework and in the end wasn't able to do one of the classes I might have wanted to do. Oh and at least in my school (secondary school) the freshman didn't get made fun of really, unless you're on a team. IT's mostly the sevies that take the brunt of it.

The Pumper
08-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Bullying varies from school.
I was a bully. Only because alot of the kids in my school thought they were all badass because they skated or because of the clothes they wore. It got old fast.
Dont get suspended either. That wont look good. I know from experience.

battlechaser
08-14-2008, 11:17 AM
I would suggest that you get into clubs and do sports or other activities, but just dont go out there and join everything, especially things you are not interested in. There are so many clubs at my school I cant name them all, so I am sure there will be a variety at your school.
You also have to remember your place in school. You will be a freshman, bottom of the Totem Pole, gonna get made fun of by upperclassman, and may end up doing some of the cruddy work (if you are on a team or something). Dont walk in and think your hott stuff, because the next thing you know someone older will put you in your place and you will look like a fool. Just be kind, keep your nose clean, but meet alot of people and also enjoy the ride, the next 4 years will go by fast. Keep your grades up. Dont get caught up in the drama. Dont fall over every girl you see. etc, you get the deal.

Couldn't have said it better myself. HS isn't the free ride elementary schools are, be prepared to knuckle down if you want good marks. One of the biggest things I regret about high school was never taking it seriously enough.

HelpDeskHustler
08-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Hossy is right. Freshman only take slack because they think they know everything. Be humble, fun to be around, but don't be a ass to any upperclassmen until they know you're cool, and you shouldn't have trouble. People don't like it when you upset the social order, the freshman are never on top, but you'll have your chance to shine, just be patient. A lot of freshman I knew were really cool, and I hung out with some of them, especially paintballing and stuff, but if freshman ever got out of line you could make them look stupid by telling them so story that's obviously fake, so don't believe everything you hear, if it's too strange to be true, think before you talk.

Paradox313
08-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Just remember, when you're taking Freshman Initiations don't show fear or a tear. The paddle is just as scared of you as you are of it.

LostCause
08-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Hs is no where near as hard as Middle school as long as you stay focused and active. heck i've taken advance classes since 8th grade-till now (im a senior, already been accepted into UA and im not that great of a student (B+ average) As long as your in clubs, and sports, you'll make even more friends!

Just have fun, rember why your there and dont party to hard.... ;) oh and girls..are the biggest drain on your wallet, and your life...always always always try to make it a not messy break up....i hate the crap that starts with it (only real drama i have had) long term realtions FTMFL.

Dont worry bro, you'll be fine, heck my first day i ate two lunches cause i went to the wrong class lol

Just be prepared for Jerks, we all meet them. Though knowing lots of girls is always a perk too ;)

HelpDeskHustler
08-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Also watch out for tacks, its common practice to put exposed tacks everywhere a freshman might sit.

:dodgy: /\ remember what I said about older students leading freshman on, even those who you trust might. :P

DFSniper
08-14-2008, 03:10 PM
High school is a breeze. Nothing like you see on TV.

Basically, you have two options: stick with the people you have been hanging out with, or find new friends. It's all up to you, but keep in mind that you need to keep your nose clean and to stand up for yourself. Your thoughts are valid just as anyone else's, so voice them. Don't be afraid to be yourself!

You'll be just fine, starting high school isn't anything compared to starting life after it... Take in all you can, and love it while you can!
pretty much what D and tim said. the best and worst years of my life were high school. make as many friends as you can, but be an individual and don't try to conform to a group. and if you got lucky like me and go to a small school, everyone gets along a lot easier.

and basically everything you see on TV is exaggeration and extremities. more people fall into the middle than on one end or another. think of it as middle school/junior high but with more options and a few more responsibilities.
STUDY. Take the hardest schedule you can handle. Trust me. Don't slack off senior year. Visit colleges Junior year, get recommendations Junior Year. Take your first SATs and ACTs sophomore year and keep taking them up until the beginning of senior year. Only stop when you feel you have maxed out your possible score, study for ONE section of the SAT/ACT for each time you take it. Get some extra-curriculars, being in something ALL 4 years is better than being in a bunch of stuff 1 year at a time.

This may seem like an overkill, but some people need it.

98% of my class is attending college, and you better believe it's because my school basically forced us to do everything EARLY, and well. FYI, I was waitlisted to 2 schools, and after I sat down and wrote a real resume outside of their little crapplication, I got in to both. College is the best investment you can make, it's pretty hard to go wrong, even with some of the cheapest or least reputable schools, the effect on your life for the amount of money you spend will be ENORMOUS, don't underestimate it.
good advice. if theres one thing i would've done differently as an upperclassman, it would be to get myself ready for college. i blew off my senior year (still graduated 2nd though), and ended up going to a community college when i could've applied myself my junior year and probably gotten accepted to any college of my choice. what you do AFTER high school is much more important that what you do DURING high school (minus classes, activities, and sports, because colleges look at all those things.) also, if you get the chance, take a college prep class, because the sooner you get a head start, the easier things will get down the road.

maximus100389
08-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Take some community college classes junior or senior year. Like English 101, math 112, etc... basic core requirements. that way you wont have to take them in college. but dont take full comm classes in high school or you wont have much of a high school experience.

vikingshadow
08-16-2008, 05:09 AM
Ok, haven't been in high school for 20 years, but from what everyone's saying it doesn't sound much different.

With that in mind - one day at a time, man. One day at a time. Have a little fun every day, laugh at least once a day, smile and say hello to someone you don't normally talk to every day. It makes them, and you, feel good about yourself. Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - feels the same way you do. Even the school hotshots.

I know, crappy sappy sentiments from an "old guy". But that's ok. Some day it'll make sense, haha!

Oh, for the sake of the thread and my own profession - study hard!

especiialypsycho
08-16-2008, 07:20 AM
what school? Mine is starting tues also..Imma be a sophy tho.

El camino highschool

Ace24
08-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Also watch out for tacks, its common practice to put exposed tacks everywhere a freshman might sit.

:dodgy: /\ remember what I said about older students leading freshman on, even those who you trust might. :P

That happened to me in elementary school... that hurt. :cry:

Ok, haven't been in high school for 20 years, but from what everyone's saying it doesn't sound much different.

With that in mind - one day at a time, man. One day at a time. Have a little fun every day, laugh at least once a day, smile and say hello to someone you don't normally talk to every day. It makes them, and you, feel good about yourself. Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - feels the same way you do. Even the school hotshots.

I know, crappy sappy sentiments from an "old guy". But that's ok. Some day it'll make sense, haha!

Oh, for the sake of the thread and my own profession - study hard!

Vikes right. I regret not being more friendly and open to many of the people I schooled with. I see them from time to time now and I want to say hello, but because I didn't talk to them much, they don't even notice me most of the time. Those that do recognize me and say "Hello" I do stop and talk to though.

It's nice to talk to the ladies from time to time too... and don't be intimidated by the older ones. Dating an older girl is and can be fun. Trust me on this haha.

Modded-Like-Hell
08-17-2008, 05:25 AM
i chilled and did the mininum work possible, joked around the whole time, and slept...still graduated on time... too easy

interceptorMR2
09-02-2008, 05:44 AM
ok well, I need to go....school starts today :(, its also my sister's first day of high school, so she is pretty excited, but im not...

LostCause
09-02-2008, 04:57 PM
dude....freshmen year a joke how easy it was...sophmore year still a joke, jr year even more so....senior year...dude this is where it sucks...

Hossy
09-02-2008, 05:10 PM
dude....freshmen year a joke how easy it was...sophmore year still a joke, jr year even more so....senior year...dude this is where it sucks...

Mine was almost the exact opposite. I guess it really depends on what your schedule is and how serious you are.

i have a very easy schedule. I love it.

DFSniper
09-02-2008, 05:28 PM
high school is overrated. your social life in high school hardly ever prepares you for the real world. heck, high school doesnt even prepare you for the real world unless you take AP classes and go to college.

Paradox313
09-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Highschool is exactly like Middle school, except the teachers are alot stricter.

Thankfully I'm in a school where I am literally friends with everybody. Or at least most of the cliques.
Always fun to mess with a few Freshman now and then, but it's nothing "bully" like.

Haha, this made me remember of Freeks and Geeks. Anybody else miss that show?

www.youtube.com/profile?user=LaaDida3

LostCause
09-03-2008, 01:28 PM
high school is overrated. your social life in high school hardly ever prepares you for the real world. heck, high school doesnt even prepare you for the real world unless you take AP classes and go to college.

ap CLASSES ftl......your social life goes down the drain haha