PDA

View Full Version : Official Support Thread v.4

vikingshadow
08-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Ok, I'm reviving the Support thread because it's that time of year again. Time to focus on losing the spare tire I have around my midsection! Fortunately, I lost almost 20 pounds the second semester last year, and only gained about 8 pounds of that back over summer. As of Sunday, though, I've lost about 4 pounds (purposely, of course.) I want to lose 30 pounds, not necessarily in a hurry, but I figure 5 pounds a month and that's possible in a year, maybe a year and a half.

I thought we might go about this differently this time around. I visit a running forum frequently, and some teacher forums, and it seems they all have this type of thread. They encourage each other, and console when they slip up. Seems very supportive!

Here's what they do: If anyone is trying to lose the poundage they have, you can use this thread to document what you did that day to lose weight. Or, type in what you did to hinder your weight loss, like eating a whole gallon of ice cream in front of the tv...

For example, this is what I did today:

Today, I ran 3.86 miles in 42 minutes, burning 586 calories on the treadmill. Top speed was 7.5 mph and no incline. Then I did two sets of pullups (7 each time) and two sets of pushups on those spinning pushup bars thingies...

I also mowed the grass today. :)

However, instead of eating a good lunch today, I skipped it (mowing) and then went to DQ and had a medium Thin Mint Blizzard with my kids this afternoon. :(

Now, if you messed up, you could say, "Man, I ate 3 cheeseburgers and large fries, with two cokes today. I feel miserable!" and we'd come in and tell you not to worry about it, put it behind you and make up for it tomorrow...

Everyone understand? Ok, so let's start supporting each other!

especiialypsycho
08-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Its okay vike you worked hard and deserved that Blizzard with your kids.

vikingshadow
08-12-2008, 08:22 PM
See, that's the way to play the game!

Thanks! Yeah, I don't feel guilty about it - it was kind of my last day of summer vacation thing to do with my kids so it was worth it.

battlechaser
08-12-2008, 08:23 PM
This is a good idea! :)

I'm in the same boat, wedding in two months (Holy crap, that snuck up!) and could stand to lose a few before I hop on the boat. Vows, play more, eat less crap, and go for more walks/runs near the apt.

Pros for the week. Got some o' that Whey Protein powder stuff, stocked up on bottled water, and iced green tea (with polyphenols which apparently raise your metabolism). No more fake juice, or pop in the fridge! Plus it's way easier to just grab a bottle and go!

Cons, bought a Blueberry pie this week, and the g/f hates blueberries... oh carbs, I love you so, but you're such a scornful lover.

spyderpaintball
08-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Great thread idea Vike and good job so far.

I myself am not looking to lose weight (pretty skinny so far), but rather start working out, building some strength, and start eating better. So far I have started to slow down my caffeine intake to 1-2 beverages a day and started trying to eat less processed food. Once I get to school I want to start working out for 30-45 min per day for 5 days a week.

VS3 Sniper
08-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I take Mixed Martial Arts and Krav Maga and I really need to start eating better(I've been doing pretty good). In the last month I have lost 20 lbs and gained a lot of muscle.

I have stoped eating fast food all together, Limited my soda intake to 1 can a day(12 oz), I work out at least 2 hours a day, I drink alot of water, I try to eat fruits, veggies etc.

I will deff. be posting alot in this thread. Great job Vike!

Paradox313
08-12-2008, 09:16 PM
It's strange really. In Idaho there wasn't a fast food joint for at least 40 miles, and I got fast food whenever I could. Now when I'm in California, I actually live within 5 minute walking distance of a fast food joint (Subway), and I've went maybe 3 times within the last two months (Not counting Subway).

Horray for teenager metabolism, but chunky people are some of the most down to earth people I have ever met.
Good to have large friends.

Hossy
08-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Atleast subway is good for you. Or atleast, better than some other options. 5 dollar footlong FTW!

Its amazing that you guys havent noticed this thread in the past. I dont believe it ever got very big, but there was some effort in the people who were doing it. Eating well is what I need to improve on, and I will after school starts. Summer schedules kinda throw me off a bit.

If anyone wants to post a recommended workout, or series of workouts, or what they run, or want to achieve, I think It would be a good idea.

My Goal is to get a 12 minute 1.5 mile by the Winter
I want to max my weight on bench by Winter
I want to lose alot of weight, but not too much. I dont want to look like a beanstalk.
I have a few others, but thats basically what I have out there for now. Anyone else have similar goals?

Paradox313
08-12-2008, 10:12 PM
I have a few others, but thats basically what I have out there for now. Anyone else have similar goals?

I need to bench 180 if I'm going to make it to the NBA (Fantasy, but possible).

Would be nice to lose a few fat pounds along the way.

vikingshadow
08-13-2008, 05:13 AM
Yup, this is something like version 4 of this thread - the first couple got really big before they died off, the third one, not so much...

You guys sound like you have some solid plans...mine? Just run when I can and try really hard to watch what I eat for lunch and WHEN I eat - with meetings, everyone wants to go out to eat for lunch, and if I sit down after supper to watch tv, I start eating all the time. At least running after supper keeps me out of the fridge. I've cut out sodas, hopefully, completely for awhile. Biggest problem for me is the pop!

I honestly would run every day if my feet and legs didn't hurt all the blessed time. Since I broke my shoulder 6 years ago, I haven't felt "balanced" physically. My wife and I both think it somehow threw my body off center which makes it hard to have proper form, but I'm not going to go to a chiropractor. Their business is to make sure you keep coming back to see them!

New day - everyone stay true to your plans!

spyderpaintball
08-13-2008, 05:55 AM
I really dont have any "plans" or expectations of accomplishment, but rather a general better me. Anyone have suggestions on sites to setup a decent lifting/exercise program?

Vike, I would suggest seeing a chiropractor. I dislocated my collarbone 2 years back and did rehab with them. They know their stuff and it does help. I was just as skeptical for the longest time, but I am considering going back for my back problems soon if it wasnt for college.

TheRedBarron
08-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Yup, this is something like version 4 of this thread - the first couple got really big before they died off, the third one, not so much...

You guys sound like you have some solid plans...mine? Just run when I can and try really hard to watch what I eat for lunch and WHEN I eat - with meetings, everyone wants to go out to eat for lunch, and if I sit down after supper to watch tv, I start eating all the time. At least running after supper keeps me out of the fridge. I've cut out sodas, hopefully, completely for awhile. Biggest problem for me is the pop!

I honestly would run every day if my feet and legs didn't hurt all the blessed time. Since I broke my shoulder 6 years ago, I haven't felt "balanced" physically. My wife and I both think it somehow threw my body off center which makes it hard to have proper form, but I'm not going to go to a chiropractor. Their business is to make sure you keep coming back to see them!

New day - everyone stay true to your plans!

Vike, if you are looking for a good aerobic workout after dinner, but are destroying your legs and feet from the shock of running on pavement (one of the worst things for your bones and joints btw) you should look into some cross country running, or bicycling. You can pick up a fairly cheap road bike that will give you one hell of a workout without putting strain on your joints, just on your muscles. Or you can pick up a decent mountain bike, and start hitting the trails, actually don't you have kids old enough to ride bike with you? could make it a family thing. Biking is much easier on the body than running and you still get the workout that you are looking for. Just some suggestions, I run cross country, I have really bad knees from years of snowboarding, so running on pavement is like hitting my knee with a hammer over and over again, I also mountain bike regularly. Seems like you have your plan set, and it seems to be a good one to me, just dont want to see you hurt yourself more than you are helping yourself. Goodluck either way you go man.

shunut
08-13-2008, 12:15 PM
You know what I've been hearing a lot of lately, is people doing "The Biggest Loser" at work. My mom is doing it and she has lost 20+ pounds so far, and has won $90. If you get a bunch of people together at school and make it into a competition where you have a chance to win money in the end, I think it will make it much more fun for you. Just a thought.

I myself need to start going to the gym more regularly. I go probably 3 times a week, which is probably pretty good for me, but I would really like to get back into a routine like I use to do. Back a couple years ago I was lifting 5 days a week and doing cardio 7 days. I got all the way up to 160 lbs, my bench was at 210 and I think my squats were at 300 something. Now I know things have changed drastically for me and my lung function dropped quite a bit, but I'm sure I can do more than what I'm doing now. I also think if I got back to a routine where I'm going 4-5 times a week that my lung function would go up more. In the past year, going to the gym 2-3 times a week, my lung function has gone from 34% to 54%, which is amazing.

SpyderMan723
08-13-2008, 12:50 PM
I rode my bike about 10 miles today.. gotta get back in shape before school starts... a few of my school shirts are a bit small :smashpc:

irishwarrior
08-13-2008, 01:06 PM
I used to be 190 in December, then went to 175 in June then 179/180 now. I do about 6-7 2 hour football practices a week and we lift for 3x6 every 4 days or so. I'm happier about my weight than I was but, I'd still like to strengthen/define my core more.

STRIKEFIRST
08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Oh this will be good.
Mwahahahahahahaha :( I just realized what I had for lunch today.

Alright here goes "The Plan"

Lose 6 pounds a month
Stop letting the women at work feed me.
Avoid the evil sugar stuff on our "Round Table" at the office.
Eat better Lunches.

OK...I'm ready...Oh wait...Fran (One of our Admin. staff) made homemade mexican...Tomorrow I start Tomorrow...Seriously...I start tomorrow.

especiialypsycho
08-13-2008, 01:11 PM
For lunch today i ate mcdonalds ):

TheDarkShadow
08-13-2008, 01:33 PM
ehhhhh, I need to lose weight. It's hard because my family has beef for dinner 4 nights a week, eat a lot of starchy vegetables, and not much fruit.

hearty farm cooked meals FTL, when trying to lose weight

battlechaser
08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Mmmmm..... chocolate WATER!?! That protein stuff isn't half bad. And the fact that I can mix it with water is good, as I normally go through at least 2-3 regular sized bottles a day. Other than that, I haven't been too bad. :P

Maybe try a massage therapist, Vike. You may have more luck with that. My best friend swears by his... and interestingly enough, she's also a chiropractor. So rather than snap, crackle and popping things back into place, she gently massages things back to normal.

Hossy
08-13-2008, 02:02 PM
For lunch today i ate mcdonalds ):

Thats not what this thread is designed for.

ehhhhh, I need to lose weight. It's hard because my family has beef for dinner 4 nights a week, eat a lot of starchy vegetables, and not much fruit.

hearty farm cooked meals FTL, when trying to lose weight
Well, im not sure of your age, but If you can drive you can easily get your hands on some fruit for yourself. Im not sure if you work or not, but Im sure there is a store that sells some type of fruit in the area. It is pretty cheap stuff too :) Eating beef isnt bad because of the protein. You just have to eat it in moderation and also keep excersising to keep the stuff off.
Mmmmm..... chocolate WATER!?! That protein stuff isn't half bad. And the fact that I can mix it with water is good, as I normally go through at least 2-3 regular sized bottles a day. Other than that, I haven't been too bad. :P

Whey Protein shakes are actually really good. Atleast the ones i have at GNC are very tasty (I get the strawberry flavored). I hated them until I found this type, and id almost prefer them over any other drink :thumbup:

SpyderMan723
08-13-2008, 02:04 PM
are farts a sign of being healthy? :D

LostCause
08-13-2008, 02:12 PM
very much, more you fart the healither (no lie )

protein shakes, yall dont need them honestly, just eat high protien diets.

Well 2mmarow hitting it hard again....early in the morn, run 6-8 miles (if i can) hit a hard upper body and core workout....wokrs out that im ticked off...

also best way to lose weight is to run and to bike (bikeing works out muscles not used while running, and also gives your knees some break) or if you dont like bikieng basketball is also a great way to help burn cals.

TheDarkShadow
08-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Well, im not sure of your age, but If you can drive you can easily get your hands on some fruit for yourself. Im not sure if you work or not, but Im sure there is a store that sells some type of fruit in the area. It is pretty cheap stuff too :) Eating beef isnt bad because of the protein. You just have to eat it in moderation and also keep excersising to keep the stuff off.

I'm 16 and I do work at a grocery store so I guess I could get my own fruit

Hossy
08-13-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm 16 and I do work at a grocery store so I guess I could get my own fruit

LOL, well then you can start bringing home some better foods! Maybe you could suggest some stuff to your parents. Or suggest to cook something, if you fancy cooking.

irishwarrior
08-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Sports are IMHO one of the best ways to lose weight. The competitiveness makes you strive to do well/do better and, more importantly, you get to have fun!

SpyderMan723
08-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Sports are IMHO one of the best ways to lose weight. The competitiveness makes you strive to do well/do better and, more importantly, you get to have fun!

playing paintball=lose weight and have fun :D

LostCause
08-13-2008, 03:12 PM
and kool battle scars...:)

though then again, anything wearing a pants/jersey/mask/pads in the heat will make you lose weight in one day ;)

SpyderMan723
08-13-2008, 03:21 PM

though then again, anything wearing a pants/jersey/mask/pads in the heat will make you lose weight in one day ;)

garrr sweating is FTL, makes my mask's foam soaked.:(

vikingshadow
08-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Vike, I would suggest seeing a chiropractor. I dislocated my collarbone 2 years back and did rehab with them. They know their stuff and it does help. I was just as skeptical for the longest time, but I am considering going back for my back problems soon if it wasnt for college.

Hmmmm, I might consider it. I have felt out of balance for quite awhile. When I broke my shoulder, I hit it HARD - so it's not inconceivable that I threw out that whole side of my body.

When school slows down, I'll check into it!

Vike, if you are looking for a good aerobic workout after dinner, but are destroying your legs and feet from the shock of running on pavement (one of the worst things for your bones and joints btw) you should look into some cross country running, or bicycling. You can pick up a fairly cheap road bike that will give you one hell of a workout without putting strain on your joints, just on your muscles. Or you can pick up a decent mountain bike, and start hitting the trails, actually don't you have kids old enough to ride bike with you? could make it a family thing. Biking is much easier on the body than running and you still get the workout that you are looking for. Just some suggestions, I run cross country, I have really bad knees from years of snowboarding, so running on pavement is like hitting my knee with a hammer over and over again, I also mountain bike regularly. Seems like you have your plan set, and it seems to be a good one to me, just dont want to see you hurt yourself more than you are helping yourself. Goodluck either way you go man.

Yeah, I know running's bad for my joints, but I'm too impatient to walk. I love bike riding, and my girls are old enough to do it. Problem with that is, they're not strong enough to keep up, haha! We do it a few times a month, but not enough to help. Good suggestion, though! I can definitely do it myself.

I wish we had bike trails around here - it's flat as a board around here, and the only place to ride is on the roads. We've recently earned the title the 5th fastest growing town in Oklahoma, and the number 1 town on this side of I-35, and the traffic really shows it. It's kind of scary sometimes! Most of the traffic tends to be heavy trucks....

I lke this idea, though!

You know what I've been hearing a lot of lately, is people doing "The Biggest Loser" at work. My mom is doing it and she has lost 20+ pounds so far, and has won $90. If you get a bunch of people together at school and make it into a competition where you have a chance to win money in the end, I think it will make it much more fun for you. Just a thought.

Hmmm, working with a bunch of women - that's a good idea, actually! They're obsessed with this kind of stuff!

I also think if I got back to a routine where I'm going 4-5 times a week that my lung function would go up more. In the past year, going to the gym 2-3 times a week, my lung function has gone from 34% to 54%, which is amazing.

Wow, congratulations! That's awesome!

Maybe try a massage therapist, Vike. You may have more luck with that. My best friend swears by his... and interestingly enough, she's also a chiropractor. So rather than snap, crackle and popping things back into place, she gently massages things back to normal.

Interesting - and I'd get that massage treatment as well....extremely helpful on stressful days.

Don't forget, a lot of us are above the age where sports is really an option. You're right, but that tends to fall in the high school age group.

playing paintball=lose weight and have fun :D

You have seen the fatty's playing, haven't you? A lot of the time, paintball doesn't equal weight loss - especially since it's only once a week, usually.

Unfortunately, that's normally water weight and it comes back after a couple of days. :(

Ok, had a bad eating day today. Since it was the first day back, everyone wanted to go out to eat, and wouldn't you know they chose Mexican...I ordered a chicken burrito, but it had sour cream sauce on it, and rice and beans on the side, two of my greatest weaknesses (mix em together and oooooooooooo!) Then, my wife fixed bierox casserole for supper....

Yeah, not a good day for actually losing weight. I am going to run at 8:00 though (on the treadmill - much easier on my legs and feet.) Maybe I'll manage to maintain my weight from yesterday with the running.

Tomorrow we have lunch being provided by a church which is usually cheeseburgers and stuff like that. However, we have Meet the Teacher night tomorrow, so I'll probably only eat something light and fast, so it should even out.

Tomorrow's another day!

irishwarrior
08-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Don't forget, a lot of us are above the age where sports is really an option. You're right, but that tends to fall in the high school age group.

Not quite, there are adult rec leagues, my 50-something soccer coach played in one, and he's juist a normal middle-aged guy physically.

LostCause
08-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Vike your allowed to splurge, and actually a treadmil is prolly the best things to use, makes you go faster then you normaly would.

vikingshadow
08-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Not quite, there are adult rec leagues, my 50-something soccer coach played in one, and he's juist a normal middle-aged guy physically.
Sure, around here in the spring there are softball teams that adults can play in (that's how I broke my shoulder) and for a month in the winter, if there are enough people, maybe a basketball league. Point is, it's inconsistant and with our normal jobs, we don't have time to practice for the 2-3 hours that kids can every day. So technically, sports for adults aren't the weight-loss activities they are for younger people.

Also realize, not everyone lives in an urban area with these programs available - all I'm saying is let's be a bit more generalized in this thread and realize not everyone has the same opportunities - so we need to mention things that people can do on their own, or at home. Bike riding, weight lifting, running, dieting, etc. What works for me and could work for you, etc...

Vike your allowed to splurge, and actually a treadmil is prolly the best things to use, makes you go faster then you normaly would.

Yeah, I like it. It's just running outside is much different - from the breeze hitting you, to the distance goes a lot faster. I agree with the constant speed, though. Every 5 minutes I raise up a half mph...The splurge thing, well, that's why I call it an "Eating plan" rather than a "diet". It gives me a chance to cheat!

So, did anyone do anything today? I'm going to run now, and I'll post my stats in just a bit...

Hossy
08-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Today I had a workout with my trainer. We did a serious upper body and finished up with some serious core which is my weak spot.

I worked my butt of and I need to keep up the schedule im on, and Ill reach my goals alot quicker than I expected. I currently work out where the US Bobsled team works out, and they gym owner (a ex-olympic bobsledder and ex-profootball trainer) is a really nice guy. The gym also acomodates my size, and I plan to keep working out at this gym for awhile.

irishwarrior
08-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I practiced at Linebacker for 4 hours and had soccer practice for 1 1/2 hours. Sorry, Vike, I'll try to keep it more general.

LostCause
08-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Sure, around here in the spring there are softball teams that adults can play in (that's how I broke my shoulder) and for a month in the winter, if there are enough people, maybe a basketball league. Point is, it's inconsistant and with our normal jobs, we don't have time to practice for the 2-3 hours that kids can every day. So technically, sports for adults aren't the weight-loss activities they are for younger people.

Also realize, not everyone lives in an urban area with these programs available - all I'm saying is let's be a bit more generalized in this thread and realize not everyone has the same opportunities - so we need to mention things that people can do on their own, or at home. Bike riding, weight lifting, running, dieting, etc. What works for me and could work for you, etc...

Yeah, I like it. It's just running outside is much different - from the breeze hitting you, to the distance goes a lot faster. I agree with the constant speed, though. Every 5 minutes I raise up a half mph...The splurge thing, well, that's why I call it an "Eating plan" rather than a "diet". It gives me a chance to cheat!
Haha, true does make it easier to "Cheat" lol, and that seems like the best way to run to, thoguh ill always prefer running out side..othewise how will i tan ;)
So, did anyone do anything today? I'm going to run now, and I'll post my stats in just a bit...

early 2mmarwo morn, running with some girls i know lol. and hard upperbody day :(

VS3 Sniper
08-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Here are some exercises I do every day.

Push ups, pull ups, sit ups, crunches, chin ups, sucides, wind sprints, jumping jacks, squat presses, jumping rope (yes I relize this may seem childish but its a great cardio workout) etc are all things you can do at home.

Also when you work out with a group of people you get more done and you have more fun.

vikingshadow
08-14-2008, 05:08 AM
Well, I ran 44 minutes last night, starting at 3.5 mph and going up .5 every 5 minutes to a max of 7.5 mph - at 30 minutes I started a cool down, dropping 1 mph every two minutes until I got to 2.5 mph. I ran 4.04 miles and burned (according to the treadmill computer) about 590 calories - off the top of my head I can't really remember this number, though. It was around there, though. 0% incline.

A doctor I was seeing last year said that those treadmill computers lie, though. He said that whether you walk a mile or run a mile, you only burn around 70 calories per mile - on a flat incline. When you add hills and such you get a different count, of course.

I weighed this morning and didn't gain a single pound from my eating yesterday - didn't lose anything, but didn't gain, so it's like I get a Mulligan!

New day - work hard!

TheRedBarron
08-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I know running's bad for my joints, but I'm too impatient to walk. I love bike riding, and my girls are old enough to do it. Problem with that is, they're not strong enough to keep up, haha! We do it a few times a month, but not enough to help. Good suggestion, though! I can definitely do it myself.

I wish we had bike trails around here - it's flat as a board around here, and the only place to ride is on the roads. We've recently earned the title the 5th fastest growing town in Oklahoma, and the number 1 town on this side of I-35, and the traffic really shows it. It's kind of scary sometimes! Most of the traffic tends to be heavy trucks....

I like this idea, though!

Well don't just stick to the main roadways, I mean yeah that most of the time that seems more logical as it is generally the fastest way home, and the way you know the best. But if you are going to be on a road biking, check out old roads, back roads, roads you generally wont/don't use with your car etc. That way you kind of get an exploring aspect to it as well kind of gives motivation. You can also Google bike trails in your area, I am sure there are some not far off, I generally end up driving to a spot that is more accessible then parking and biking.

Hoppy11
08-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Vike if you want to try and find some actual off trail trails check out
mtbr.com (http://www.mtbr.com). They have reviews and directions to get to courses all over the country.

LostCause
08-14-2008, 01:31 PM
also the best way to actually lose weight is to jog over 30 mins, cause you only burn cals at first for your 30 mins, after wards you actually burn fat.

and moutain bikeing + deer= interasting....
also add some incline after a while. s you feel more burn.

Drefish99
08-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Sup gais. Yo Vike you are an inspiration. I joined one of the support threads maybe V2 or 3 but never actually stuck with it. Now I really need to. Went to see the dr last month and looks like I have high blood. They are putting me on a diet to see if losing some weight and lowering my salt intake would bring the pressure down a bit. I have taken to riding my bike every night for about a mile and a half to 2 miles this past week. I have to be honest, its been the most exercise I have gotten in the past year or so. I haven't weighed myself but at the dr's office I was at 256.

LostCause
08-15-2008, 07:18 AM
hey Dre, i have pre-hypertensive (weird cause im 17 and in perfect shape) to normal blood pressure, want a good way to lower it also is to do yoga! and also (if your doc says yes) taek one asprin a night, it has been shown to help lower you BP.

Drefish99
08-15-2008, 08:28 AM
hey Dre, i have pre-hypertensive (weird cause im 17 and in perfect shape) to normal blood pressure, want a good way to lower it also is to do yoga! and also (if your doc says yes) taek one asprin a night, it has been shown to help lower you BP.

Yeah they took some blood tests begin of this week. No results yet or call backs so I take it there isn't anything serious. I have been taking an aspirin a day also. I will have to try the yoga and maybe some quiet time relaxing. Hopefully that can help as well.

Hossy
08-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Ive been slacking on my eating, and my excercising. Later today im going to play volleyball, and then tomorrow I will go for a swim hopefully. Im really sore from the other day, and thats good, but also kinda bad.

ThePinkBarron
08-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Personally I try to stay as fit as possible, I ride mountain bike almost religiously, I am not really focusing on losing weight as much as I am on staying healthy. I used to work out with Matt and Shanna every morning, but lately I have kind of been slipping, I think I am just lacking motivation. I have kind of been using biking as an excuse to not actually work out on my usual schedule.

shark
08-15-2008, 11:39 AM

Yeah, I like it. It's just running outside is much different - from the breeze hitting you, to the distance goes a lot faster. I agree with the constant speed, though. Every 5 minutes I raise up a half mph...

I read in a runners magazine that a study showed that compared to runners who ran strictly on a track/trails had overall faster times and a longer more natural stride compared to runners who specifically trained on a treadmill. Another trick you might try that we use on my soccer team to gain endurance quickly and burn a bunch of calories is to do interval training( run 100% for 1 min., walk/jog 1 min)

Also swimming is one of the best cardiovascular exercises and it places minimal stress on joints

vikingshadow
08-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Wow, didn't get home from work until nearly 10 pm last night, so I didn't exercise. I didn't eat supper (but had most of a Coke) because I was STUFFED from lunch. The Baptist Church here fed the teachers and staff steak, baked potatoes, salad, bread and cake. I didn't each much, I thought, but it sat heavy.

Fortunately, this morning I weighed the same as yesterday morning, hahaha! No lunch today (I'll be glad when school actually starts up again so I can get back on an eating schedule).

Dre - when I first started seeing a doctor last year, he wasn't concerned about my weight, but was concerned about my blood pressure. I had had a tough day, but apparently it worried him a bit. Get a blood pressure monitor and check it every day - that's the best way to keep tabs on yourself. Then exercise, exercise, exercise. You'll get it under control!

Plan on running this evening. Will post up later!

Keep up the hard work guys!

LostCause
08-15-2008, 02:04 PM
also have you had a stress test done (they suck, but are great ways to see how your BP is), i mean i have a EKG 24hour test, i've had a BP cuff on for 24 hours, so i've had to read up on whats good for ya.

Relaxation is also a great thing, though hard to get when sometimes :( I hope yall find a way to lower your BP. Also with a BP moniter check at diffrent times during the day, though dont take the actualy number as something really bad, i was told by the specailist to take a average ever few weeks. :(
Though I have stopped using mine...i just idk..felt more stressed with it :( Also dont excercise to much, not more the 6 days a week, you need just one day of nothing to actauly get benefits.

and reason why i hate treadmills, screws my stride up...though is great trainer. but nothing beats actualy on the track time. (another tip, dont run the track the same direction everytime, it really messes your knees up...swicth directions every time you go to the track to keep your knees healthy)

vikingshadow
08-15-2008, 04:58 PM
I never really have to worry about my stride on the treadmill. I have such short legs that I can stretch em out, or take tiny strides (I usually have a short stride naturally).

I really like the treadmill because it's so much easier on my legs and feet - it's got that extra "bounce" thing going. But, if I had my choice, it would definitely be to run outside...

vikingshadow
08-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Ok, let's not let this die out. Otherwise, it's not a support thread.

Of course, you guys need to post up what you're doing so we can support you!

More later on how bad I was today...

battlechaser
08-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Made the cookies I promised for the womanly one. Now to remind myself to leave them alone. :(

Hossy
08-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Today I woke up at the early time of 7. I drove my sister to Volleyball Tryouts that started today, and got a breakfast of champions (Pancakes and Eggs) at a local restraunt. I don't think pancakes are that healthy, but I got my eggs in and got some Orange Juice to wash it all down. I love Orange Juice. I then Traveled to a pool, that didnt open until 12, So I basically had another 2 hours to burn till it opened. So I did what any other teenager would do, come home and took a nap (after all the 7 am start was the earliest yet this summer) I woke up and hit the pool when it opened and swam for a good hour and a half. I did some sprints, some kicks and stuff with the kickboard, and then I just swam some laps leisurely. I went to Subway and got me a 5 dollar foot long. I came home and played some Halo, chilled, and may have ate a little too much during dinner. Im researching supplements now. anyone know of any that work?

irishwarrior
08-16-2008, 04:52 PM
I got ice cream today, darn you cookies n' cream! But, it's all good because I have soccer practice tomorrow and football from monday to friday until October or so. And soccer two times a week, until spring when it gets ramped up.

vikingshadow
08-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Wife made Monkey Bread today for breakfast (pull apart sweet bread), Bierox casserole (only one serving), big bowl of popcorn for a snack, and McD's Sowthwest Chicken Sandwich, large fries, large coke and an order of cinnamelts for supper. No exercise (yet) as of 7 pm.

Yeah, today wasn't good as far as calories go. However, I sort of decided after last week's lunches and suppers, I decided to write this complete week off and start over again tomorrow.

Plan for tomorrow - Special K for breakfast, Lean Cuisine for lunch, and grilling hamburgers for supper (it's the one food that I don't give up, even on my eating "plan"!) Mowing the grass, maybe doing some work at school to get ready for Tuesday, then running on treadmill. May even find some time to ride the bike...You know, I really need to start back to church...

battlechaser
08-16-2008, 05:09 PM
I think I'm going to have to start conning a friend down the road into practising soccer or something with me. He's incredibly competitive, so I think that might work to my advantage. Either that or the English bugger will school my Canadian butt. Paintball Tuesday hopefully. Im also going to see if I can spare the cash towards going out at least 3-4 times a month. Then start doing some excersizing at home as well.

spyderpaintball
08-17-2008, 01:27 PM
So I start my workout schedule on Wednesday. Im thinking that I will jog to the Rec Center on campus, do weights for about 30-45 min then walk back. Do that Monday through Friday in the morning before class. Im kinda looking forward to it but on the other side I am not looking forward to waking up at 5:30.

Hossy
08-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Wife made Monkey Bread today for breakfast

Monkey Bread is amazing, but it isnt exactly the best for you.

Today I ate:

Chipotle Burrito
a few cookies (couldnt resist)
and I had a stir fry (lots of veggies and chicken with rice)

I did a good job, minus the cookies. Tomorrow I plan to start my huge push for weight loss/muscle gain. I will try to post what I eat everyday and what kind of workout I did/ how much I weigh. Might be kind of hard, but I am aiming really high for my goals. Lets see how much weight I can lose and how much healthier of a person I can be.

vikingshadow
08-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Excellent!

Yeah, but man that monkey bread is good! Hehehe!

I'll do the same - post what I ate, and what I did to burn it off. Getting healthy is a much better goal than losing weight. Good deal!

LostCause
08-17-2008, 04:19 PM
mokey bread=monkey balls here in md lol

and supplements...dont take them. not good for you overall, yeah oyu may lose weight/get better, but once your off of them your screwed. idc what you say, ive done it and saw what has happened, ive seen what the effects did to close friends too.

vikingshadow
08-17-2008, 04:56 PM
If you don't mind, what happened? I thought about supplements once but didnt want to drop the cash on them without knowing what would happen.

Hossy
08-17-2008, 05:05 PM

and supplements...dont take them. not good for you overall, yeah oyu may lose weight/get better, but once your off of them your screwed. idc what you say, ive done it and saw what has happened, ive seen what the effects did to close friends too.

I live in Maryland as well, and I have always called it Monkey Bread.

I would like to hear what you say about the supplements as well. From what I heard, you will gain some fat/lose some muscle, but not alot compared really to what you have lost (depending on what you lose)

LostCause
08-17-2008, 05:07 PM
well first off what kind of supplements? just so i have a clarifaction (sp?...oh well...senior year :P)

Hossy
08-17-2008, 05:09 PM
weight loss is what I think were talking about. But im open to hear about anything

irishwarrior
08-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Just remember, don't lose more than 2-3 pounds a week or you'll be losing muscle too (it's what our trainer told us in football). And supplements, you don't always know what you're getting since it's unregulated.

LostCause
08-17-2008, 05:17 PM
ah weight loss, firend took those, they worked great (though he worked out like crazy too...) though soon as he stopped takeing them, he did gain almost all or more of that weight back though after he stopped (hydroxycut i think?)

though on protein shakes, they scrwed me bp up lol, so i had to stop takeing them :( and my freinds use to take Caretien (sp? sorry i hate these weird names) and went into a deep depresion, also his maxes dropped 30lbs...and he was still working just as hard...though man...that stuff taste godo sometimes :D haha. also...it um...kinda messes with your mind,....some guys got violent on CAretien...oh well.

though vitaim supplements i support whole heartdly lol.

sorry for spelling...cant see my stupid keyboard...

yeah anything saying ull lose 10lbs in 3 weeks or less is REALL REALLY UN HEALTHY i cannont stress how bad that is to your body...

Hossy
08-17-2008, 05:23 PM

Where in MD are you located?

LostCause
08-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Carroll County hillbilly hell

Hossy
08-18-2008, 05:59 PM
So how did you all do today?
Today I went to a birthday party. I didnt eat alot of Cake, but I had some. Im going to start my big push next week once school starts, because basketball workouts start. I cant wait to start losing all of this weight and prove Tim wrong :)

vikingshadow
08-18-2008, 06:11 PM
I did ok. Had Honey Nut Cheerios with 2% milk (usually have skim milk Extra which tastes like 2% but they were sold out yesterday). Didn't eat lunch, and had a somewhat decent supper.

School starts tomorrow so I can get on a regular schedule after a little more than a month of messed up meals...

Critical
08-18-2008, 06:27 PM
So how did you all do today?

I did great today. Lunch was a bag of Cheetos, some pudding and a granola bar. Dinner was fried chicken, 2 servings of bag-of-noodles-in-a-pot and a beer, dessert was Reese's peanut butter cups and a big bowl of ice cream, and another beer. Drinking a third beer as I type.

Did I mention that I have the same waistband as I did in high school 15 years ago? :D

LostCause
08-19-2008, 08:19 AM
see im lucky, mines changes due to sports...i got from a 30 to a 32 matters how much i run...though 32 32 are hard to fine..

and CC + beef jerkey...not good..

Critical
08-19-2008, 08:27 AM
I'm in the same boat, I wear a 34 34, although depending on the cut, I really need a 34 35, which is non existent.

LostCause
08-19-2008, 08:31 AM
yeah, its like they have weird sizes, then the ones you need are either not the kind you wear but your size, or non extistent... :( clothing comapnies fail

interceptorMR2
08-20-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty happy with myself, I've been running every other day of the week for the past week, 2-1/2 miles at a time. Its a good start and its not as hard as I thought it would be thanks to lacrosse :D. Today we ran probably 3 miles this time just because my dad wanted to go work up towards longer runs.

Hossy
08-20-2008, 10:40 AM
To the person talking about clothes sizing, I have a problem as well. My waist may be about a 36-38, but my legs are very long and I have to go up so i have about a 40-42 waist, which makes me need a belt, or else the clothes will just fall off. I have really long legs, and the extra length is needed.

I havent been eating that well due to a few parties. I will start Next tuesday, the day school starts, into my big push. Then, Ill start posting about every day in this marvelous thread.

Any results to post? Anybody get a workout in today?

vikingshadow
08-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, let's see. Haven't eaten well over the past three days, had meetings late last night and tonight (one tomorrow night as well), and feeling pretty stressed right now...

However, been on my feet pretty much a solid 12 hours for two days (7:45 in the morning until 7:45 at night) constantly moving and talking...I actually dropped a couple of pounds.

Hopefully, things will even out and I can actually get back on a schedule. To those talking about pant sizes, I also have the same pant size as high school - but instead of a 29 waist 36 leg, it's now a 36 waist and 29 leg!

SpyderMan723
08-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Idk if this is the right place to ask but, could you guys pray for my friend's mom?
She has a clogged in her neck that is cutting off circulation to her whole body. She doesnt have very long to live.

vikingshadow
08-23-2008, 06:12 AM
Well, this is a support thread, so all kinds of support can be given. You got it. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. This is a tough time for you and my thoughts are with you. I don't have the words to say as this is a very tough thing to talk about for me, and anything I do say will just sound like words. Just know that I'm supporting you!

Anyone interested in losing weight while eating Arbys, McDonalds, Sonic, drinking soda and not really exercising should get into teaching. I dropped 4 pounds this week doing all that, haha! Ate junk for lunch and usually supper, but was on my feet for about 12 hours a day this week. Got to school at 7:30 and worked until 7:30 every day (sometimes later, but usually by that time.) Talked all day long, every day, so my throat is a bit sore and tired as well...I wore some pants yesterday that were tight'ish the week before and they kept trying to fall off of me (I didn't wear a belt because they were snug before!)

I know this is just a fluke that happens every year, so I hope that things calm down enough this week where I can come home at a decent time and start running/walking/riding my bike for exercise. I have a good head start, so I need to run with it, so to speak. I'm not going to be eating out at lunch anymore as they changed my lunch hour to 12, and since we only get about 20 minutes to eat, it's hard at that time of day to get somewhere, get the food and get back in time. So, in a way, it's good because I'm forced to eat the "good for me" food I buy normally (lean cuisine, Healthy Choice, etc.)

How'd everyone else do this past week?

Hossy
08-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Well, noticing that I basically I used this last week of summer to just ease down my diet, Im doing pretty well. I dont really care about losing weight as just not eating alot of junk food. School starts Tuesday for me, and that will be my first day of my super-get-in-shape regimen. The last week I have gotten down to eating a better diet. Monday I will weigh myself, and then ill weigh myself every few days I guess. Anyone have suggestions on how else to monitor your weight? I mean, do you go on a scale every day? twice a day? once a week?

SpyderMan723
08-23-2008, 10:08 AM
!
]Well, this is a support thread, so all kinds of support can be given. You got it. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. This is a tough time for you and my thoughts are with you. I don't have the words to say as this is a very tough thing to talk about for me, and anything I do say will just sound like words. Just know that I'm supporting you

its not my mother.. its my friends mom, shes pretty cool. I just hope shes doing better, right now shes at a hospital in boston. thanks for the support vike :up:

vikingshadow
08-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh, my bad! I misread that - didn't see the "friends" part...still, same sentiment! I feel for kids who lose their moms when they're young.

I weigh every day. There are those that say to weigh only once a week because you might get depressed if you see no loss, but I found that if I weigh myself once a day I have a better handle on my ups and downs and why. I verified it with my doctor and he said it's best to weigh every day for that very reason. Monitoring is key to this. There for awhile, I was weighing myself when I woke up and right before I went to bed. I still do from time to time - it's an eye opener about what a day of exercise and good eating can do to your weight overnight!

One more thing - I've been reading, and listening to reports and such (also verified with my doctor) that writing down what you eat every day makes you more aware of what you're eating and how much. It's said that you will lose more weight because most people don't realize how much they actually eat in a day.

Have a great day everyone!

LostCause
08-23-2008, 11:04 AM
wanna drop weight i have decided is XC....jeez....im so wasted the rest of the day i sleep lol...so..workout+sleep=weight loss...who wouldve thunk it

SpyderMan723
08-23-2008, 11:09 AM
I've been cutting back on eating late at night, and I've seen an improvement in my weight. Once a week bike rides are FTW too, my legs are rock solid ;)

shark
08-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Oh, my bad! I misread that - didn't see the "friends" part...still, same sentiment! I feel for kids who lose their moms when they're young.

I weigh every day. There are those that say to weigh only once a week because you might get depressed if you see no loss, but I found that if I weigh myself once a day I have a better handle on my ups and downs and why. I verified it with my doctor and he said it's best to weigh every day for that very reason. Monitoring is key to this. There for awhile, I was weighing myself when I woke up and right before I went to bed. I still do from time to time - it's an eye opener about what a day of exercise and good eating can do to your weight overnight!

One more thing - I've been reading, and listening to reports and such (also verified with my doctor) that writing down what you eat every day makes you more aware of what you're eating and how much. It's said that you will lose more weight because most people don't realize how much they actually eat in a day.

Have a great day everyone!

Ya those are both great ways of monitoring intake and seeing results. The one key thing thought is to make sure that you are weighing yourself at the same time each day. I do it in the morning when I wake up or immediately after soccer practice since I have it every day.

Hossy
08-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Today I started my Goal for weight loss. Though so far I havent eaten anything thats not healthy, I still havent had my workout for today. I forgot to weigh myself, but Im about 260 now. Hows everyone else doing?

vikingshadow
08-27-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm down another two pounds and eating pretty decent, but no exercising, sadly. I've had at least 2 meetings a day for the last two weeks, some days 3, been on my feet and just talking, talking, talking.

I eat a Lean Cuisine for lunch, a decent supper (though I sometimes have seconds :( ) and a bowl of ice cream. Oh, I stll drink a bottle of Coke a day, which I REALLY need to stop.

However, I think I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel as far as settling down, unless it's just another mirage, so maybe I can get things working for me for a change instead of being so stressed at the moment!

LostCause
08-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Thats good Vike! but wacth out (i think i reber saying you have elevated BP??) for the sodium intake from the Lean Cusine

vikingshadow
08-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I've been watching that. I heard a while back about how bad sodium is in these prepackaged meals so I try to watch it. Fortunately, I never salt anything, so it's just the natural salt that the food has in it that I get outside of the Lean Cuisine stuff. My wife and kids love salt, but she knows not to cook with it so they just add it afterwards.

LostCause
08-28-2008, 02:06 PM
thats good that your wife is helping you out wit that! lol

Hossy
08-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Today I got on the scale and it read about 280. I read it and was like, WTF?
Yesterday I weighed about 260. I found out that my scale is broken, cause what I did today should make we weight less than 260 if anything.

So maybe i dont even way 260. That will be a plus!

Hows everyone else doing?

vikingshadow
08-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Hmmmm, I'm still doing the same things - but yesterday I ate at Arby's for lunch, stayed at work until 8:00 then came home and ate WAY too much. Got up this morning and went to work at 9:30 and stayed until 6:00 and then ate Quizzno's for supper. Still drinking a bottle of soda a day, some days 2 which I definitely shouldn't do.

I'm starting to stress less about school (finally settled into a groove) but now I'm stressing about National Board Certification - my first meeting is Sept. 8th. I worked on it all day today for the first time. I think I made a good dent in the first entry, but I have yet to have a mentor read it, so who knows?

I think that since I found a groove at school, I'll be able to start coming home at a more decent hour and run on the treadmill. I plan on working every other Saturday on National Board stuff, so that gives me more time with the family to relax and might help me lose a bit more weight.

As of this morning, I've dropped 5 pounds since school started back up (10 days). We'll see what happens next!

Hossy
10-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Ok you bums time for yall to get back on track. Havent posted in awhile and im upset that none of yall are posting and helping people get back to a better life!

I havent weighed myself lately, but i feel alot stronger (and my muscles are getting bigger/strong). I havent weighed myself, but ive been eating junk food for the last few days. Need to stop that habit.
So, hows everyone else?

vikingshadow
10-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Well, I was actually going to get this thread back to active today - sounds like we're both on the same track!

It's been a tough school year - I actually have gained almost all I that I lost at the end of last year. Too many late nights, too much stress, too much fatty food in the house and with a fast food restaurant in my backyard, well - there's a recipe for fatness right there!

However, things seem to be changing directions. My wife FINALLY started buying into the weight loss thing (it's extremely hard when your partner doesn't care to do the losing weight thing when you're trying to avoid everything bad.) Except she's kind of overdoing it, right now - trying to give me dinky tiny girly sized portions when it's not NEARLY enough to even take the edge off my hunger. I had a long talk with her about that and it seems to have worked.

Also, we bought the P90X program from Beachbody. This is a super intense workout program that is so tough, they highly recommend you to take a fitness test before you attempt this program - if you can't do the minimum on this test, you shouldn't attempt their program. I passed it with FLYING colors, so today I was all pumped to begin. It also comes with a nutrition guide that tells you how much of what kind of food to eat - at least 5 times a day, if not 6 times. I've done this kind of eating program before, and coupled with exercise is a very effective way to lose weight, so that's a plus!

So, on to day one of the program...Let me tell you, it's the MOST intense thing I've done since I was in high school 20 some years ago...I went through about 3/4s of the first half of the program and then my poor body just was toast. Then they started the SECOND half of the first go round! I actually had to pause it and go into the bathroom because I thought I was going to puke! I came back to it, though and finished it. It's no wonder these people are ripped when they finish the program!

Just when I thought I was finally over, they dropped in an abdominal routine that not only was tough, it scared the bejezzus out of me! I could only do about a quarter of it, it was so tough. Had about 345 movements in it, and lasted only about 16 minutes...whew!

I can't even lift my hands above my head at the moment, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow. Tomorrow is a Plyometrics day, yippee!

My biggest concern is that it's not a fluff thing - today it took about an hour and a half of hard work. I just don't know if I can find enough time to do it. We'll see. If it works well, I might even show the before, middle and after pics I have to take.

Everyone get pumped! The holidays are coming so now's the time to get started!

LostCause
10-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Well good look with it Vike, i hope you do have the time to do it! I understand where your coming from since my mumis a teacher.

vikingshadow
10-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Just busted out an hour long plyometrics session. Whew!

Gained two pounds today. :( Sucks because I'm doing EXACTLY what it says to do...could be muscle gain, though. Or water retention. We'll see.

LostCause
10-27-2008, 03:52 PM
when do you weigh yourself??? in the morn right?? (thats ur actually body weight)

vikingshadow
10-28-2008, 05:00 AM
I usually weigh twice a day - right after I first wake up, then usually after work (before working out.)

I find it's the best way to keep an accurate measurement - also I can tell when I've gained and lost much easier without a scale.

LostCause
10-28-2008, 05:26 PM
well seems like a good way to do it, i hope ya keep up with loseing weight, and moreimportantly a healthier lifestyle.

VS3 Sniper
11-03-2008, 09:46 AM
I just got back form a 5 mile run. I really don't like running but with some good music it wasn't that bad.

vikingshadow
11-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Made it through one week - chest and back, plyometrics, shoulders and arms, yoga, legs and back, kenpo, then stretching. Whew! Now, I get to start all over again.

I actually gained a couple of pounds at the beginning of the week, but this morning I weighed and I was 4 pounds down from that high point, so I guess that's pretty good.

This week, cutting ALL junk from my day (no candy, cookies, or stuff like that.) Shouldn't be too hard as I'm too full most of the time to eat anything else. I think I have some blockage that is making my lower back hurt, though. Need to do something about that...

LostCause
11-03-2008, 02:32 PM
thats good!!! and fiber pills???

vikingshadow
11-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Well, three and a half weeks into the program. I do feel a bit stronger, and I have lost some weight. This morning I stepped on the scales and I'm down 10.5 pounds! I noticed last week that my pants were much looser and I had to move my belt another notch. My wife is telling me she sees some definition, but I don't because I see me all the time. My face is slimming down a lot!

Testimonial time. Yesterday was a Kenpo day, and I just didn't feel like I got that great of a workout (read: I had a lot of energy later on) so I decided to run for a bit. I figured that while I was watching the OU game last night I would run for 20 minutes and get about a mile and a half in. For some reason, it seemed difficult for me so I thought I worked harder in Kenpo than I originally thought. Well, about 15 minutes into it I was running about 6.5 mph and feeling pretty good, sweating up a storm and breathing well. With 5 minutes left, I happen to glance down at the screen and I noticed I was running at a 4.5 incline!

Normally, I run on zero incline, going for distance endurance and time rather than strength buidling. So, what this told me was that even though I had worked my legs that afternoon, I was still able to run an incline for about 15 minutes and hardly notice it. I also ran 2 miles in 20 minutes, so I guess I am getting quite a bit stronger.

I've been talking to some guys over on their forums and they said that for the first 30 days I should notice a little gain in strength and a small drop in weight since fat comes off in layers. The next 30 days I should see some slimming through my upper body and legs where there is less fat and some more gains in strength. The LAST 30 days is where I'm supposedly going to see HUGE gains - if what I've seen already is an indication, WOW!

Anyway, I hope the rest of you guys are keeping up with your routines.

Hossy
11-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Ive been getting not alot of workouts in lately, But ive been playing volleyball 3+ times a week for the last few months. Starting this week or next week im going to start seriously hitting the weights and running. Lets see how that goes.

vikingshadow
11-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Good luck and you can do it! Make sure to post here so we can support you!

Hossy
01-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Ok KUSA this thread has been slackin lately. Ive been going to the gym alot now. Ive been eating a strict (read - very strict) diet and I decided to not weigh myself. I did that because with my lifting schedule I try to add muscle too, and I may be doing good but the scale wont really relay that. BUT I feel very accomplished, I already feel better to about my self and I am gaining muscle and am very proud of it. Ive been eating those Lean Cuisine meals a lot lately and I like them. FredPo and I have talked about other dieting and Fred, if you happen to see this I have a few more questions to throw at you. But I am making great progress. For the most part this whole problem with snacks and stuff during the day does not exist because I am eating like 5 or so meals a day and I think that it really is helping me too. While I would have a soda or five a week I have only had one in the last 2.5 weeks and that was a complete accident and feel kinda bad for doing it. I havent had any sweets (especially my favorite milkshakes and cheesecakes) for the same 2.5 weeks. I have not had any fast food (minus subway) for awhile either.

So I come to you KUSA. how are you doing? any new years resolutions? get off your couch and start exercising!

TheRedBarron
01-21-2009, 08:50 PM
I have gained 15 lbs over the past month and a half. I haven't been working out as regularly as usual and last time I checked my BMI was 21 my usual is about 19-20, I haven't checked my body fat lately but I am sure that it is well over my usual 9% I dont know, I just find it hard to make myself work, I am sure I will get back on track, I always do. My usual routine is pretty rigorous maybe I should just lighten the load a little until I feel like I have the time and energy to go at full capacity.

vikingshadow
01-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Well, you have a bit more on your plate at the moment than weight loss. I'm surprised it's just 15 pounds, and being as it's winter, we naturally add a bit of weight. Keep us posted here, and we'll keep supporting you!

I dropped from 204 pounds to 186 pounds over 3 months before I pooped out on the P90X routine. I gained like 5 pounds or so during the first week of working out, which I attribute to muscle weight, but when I started the program I was somewhere around 196. I don't really see it, but I wear my belt on the last notch now when it was nearly all the way on the opposite end before.

The program is a bit boring after doing it for 13 weeks....however, I've started running every other day, and I plan to jump back into the program on Sunday. I want to drop another 25 pounds at least, and hopefully half of that by this June.

My goal is to be able to take my girls to the swimming pool without being embarrassed to show my "man boobs"!

Hossy
01-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Sounds good Vike!
Today I am very sore after the last few days. Plus practice almost killed me. my back really hurts, so I need to find some biofreeze and stuff and put that on me. I dont know if this is possible, but I feel that I am kind of under eating. I never really feel hungry but I dont know if I should be eating more for the muscle growth part of my goal.

Oh boy its off to the gym and then to the store to pick up some more lean cuisines and yogurt! haha

SpyderMan723
01-22-2009, 12:07 PM
if i ate good and worked out i would be a big ****ing dude.. i should start some kind of plan...

QAZ123
01-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm on a steady 6 day a week routine (M-S) and play paintball on sundays. Holding a lil more bodyfat but for the most part on purpose. Weighing somewhere in the 160's. I'll probably drop bodyfat in about 4 months for summer but otherwise I'm on the right track....

JB.

irishwarrior
01-22-2009, 03:33 PM
I'd been on a really strict diet, trying to lose weight to go down from the 189 weight class to the 171 weight class in wrestling. I was getting nowhere for a while, then I basically said screw it and started eating more, and voila, I went from 185lbs to 176lbs in about 2 weeks. I did a nifty little equation from Men's Health (http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/gain_ten_pounds_of_muscle/Eat_More.php) to find out how many calories I need daily, and I suddenly knew why I was starting to lose weight after eating more...I was ingesting way to few calories! My metabolism was going into shutdown because I was eating about 1,000-1,500 calories a day, according to the equation I need 4,400 calories daily. So just a word to others who are trying to lose weight, don't overdo the dieting, you want to maintain your metabolism. And also I recommend Wrestling (for those of you who have that option available) for losing weight and gaining muscle, I thought I was in good shape from football, I was a fat lard compared to now, now I'm a muscular lard :p.

Hoppy11
01-22-2009, 04:26 PM
So I just got back from the gym for the first time in idk how long... Early last semester I think. Holy cow I knew I would be out of shape but I couldn't even get through a game of 4v4 basketball. My goal right now is to get my cardio back up to where it should be and then start working on muscle. I only weight 155 right now so I don't need to worry about body fat :p.

For a college student, I eat pretty healthy. I stay away from fast food for the most part and cook a lot so I am also not too worried about that.

vikingshadow
01-22-2009, 07:29 PM
I agree with eating more. When I started this program, it said that I should eat around 2200-2500 calories a day. I figured, sure - that'd be easy. NOT! Come to find out, I usually only get around 1600 calories or so a day, and that was eating 4-5 times a day and never being hungry. So, I started eating more things just to get those calorie in and dropped about 5 pounds in just a week. It really does work!

I went from about 21% body fat to around 14% in those 4 months. I want to get down to around 9 or so percent by June. We'll see.

Hossy
01-23-2009, 05:04 PM
I can easily eat any amount of food, but I figure that I because I cut out alot of junk and all and that im eating healthy that I cut out too much. I guess I have to start eating a few more calories a day.
I went to the gym twice today. Once at 7:30ish and once at 12:30. I feel good now.

vikingshadow
01-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Well, I decided that I was jumping fully back on board tomorrow. Maybe do a double Saturday and Sunday just to fast track it (running in the morning, then the weight training in the evening - or vice versa.)

I just have to find a way to stay motivated - oh, and stay off Left 4 Dead at least until I finish my routine!