PDA

View Full Version : Scope and remote questions.

JoltZero
08-11-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm really new to paintball and I've only had my MR2 for a few weeks. Before I played woodsball for the first time a couple of days ago, I thought that a scope and a remote would be nice to have, but not really necessary. Now that I have played woodsball, I think that those would give me an advantage. But, I have some problems.

I have one of those force feeders (Trinity w/ room for the eye wires) and if I were to put a scope on the rail, the force feeder will cover half of the scope. I think I saw an MR2 that had a scope directly on the gun (not on a rail). How would I do that?

If I were to get a remote, where would I put the tank? I use a compressed air tank that's 3000 PSI and 62 cubic inches.

Thanks in advance.

irishwarrior
08-11-2008, 09:02 AM
What do you mean by the scope would be "covered" by the force-feeder? Could you please explain that a little more? As for your tank problem, see if you can get a vest or harness that has a pocket big enough for it. That, or you could duct tape it to your back :P.

JoltZero
08-11-2008, 09:09 AM
It wouldn't be entirely covered, just half covered.

You see, if I put a scope on it, the force feeder will block half of its view. It's bigger at the top than it is at the bottom, so if I were to put it directly on the marker, the bulge at the top of the feeder won't be as much as a problem.

I hope this picture will help explain.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/JoltZero/PICT0662.jpg?t=1218474351

irishwarrior
08-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Ooooooooooh, I got ya. You could get an offset mount which would put it to the side creating clearance.

JoltZero
08-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Wouldn't that cost more money? If so, how much?

irishwarrior
08-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Here's one (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=uYfs3m-dvfPsWSc9zycsdmU7h7Sz1qyBfjw=?ProductID=i5HAqArbMI QAAAENOug3n_YC), remember to look around to find one that suits you best.

hoodtrix
08-11-2008, 05:12 PM
i just ordered this, ill get it tomarrow and let you know how well it works. I orgin bought the GXG tac vest and loved how it held everything BUT since i live in socal its too damn hot, even with the padding removed

JoltZero
08-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Just ordered what? The offset rail? Also, I live in Texas, so I know how you feel.:wave:

EDIT: I found this (http://paintballgi.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1544&strVarSel=2956&strCompare=). Looks nice, but I'm not sure if it'll hold the tank right since it's bigger than the tanks I normally see people with.

slim and shady
08-11-2008, 06:39 PM
if you mount your scop right to the top of the gun you wont be able to see through it anyway, so whats the point? or are you just putting it on for looks?

JoltZero
08-11-2008, 06:43 PM
How will you not see if it's at the top of the gun?

hoodtrix
08-12-2008, 07:52 AM
lol sorry, heres the link for the 2+1 http://www.paintball-discounters.com/get_item_990334a.htm , a 2+plus one works well for rec/wood ball because if your doing it right you only need to fill up once and the other is incase your hopper falls off and spills.

sneekypete
08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
If you have not cut the original stock or have an other stock that give clearance to fit your mask you will not be able to see through the scope/sight because the mask is in the way.

slim and shady
08-12-2008, 04:41 PM
How will you not see if it's at the top of the gun?

you cant get your head low enough to look through the sight because your mask is in the way like sneakypete said. Unles you do the dogleg mod to your stock.

KingTutBaller
08-12-2008, 06:43 PM
If you buy a red-dot sight instead of a scope, you won't really need the offset, because with a red-dot scope, you don't need to close your left eye to look through it, you're actually supposed to keep both eyes open (depth perception and what not).
I use a red-dot on my backup marker, and it has a centered feedneck, my hopper is comepletely in the way of my dot, but it doesn't matter at all with both eyes open. If you're after a magnifying scope for scouting reasons or what not, yes, you'll definately want the offset rail. ALSO if buying a magnifying scope, make sure the eye relief is enough so that you can actually USE it with your mask on.

JoltZero
08-12-2008, 07:42 PM
If you're after a magnifying scope for scouting reasons or what not, yes, you'll definately want the offset rail. ALSO if buying a magnifying scope, make sure the eye relief is enough so that you can actually USE it with your mask on.

Yeah, I want a magnifying scope. Okay, so it looks like I'll be needing to buy:

Offset rail ~$20
Scope ~$40
Remote coil ~$30
Harness ~$20
Pods ~$10

Wow... $120. Seeing as my paycheck for this week will be going to my parents for my new phone, I can put next week's check to the scope and rail and the week after that to the remote, harness, and pods (My parent's are paranoid about me spending my whole check in one week. :( )

Also, if the scope DOES have a dot for aiming, do you think that I'll be able to adjust it to where the dot is in the bottom-right rather in the middle so that I will have a better prediction of where the paintballs will go?

KingTutBaller
08-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Yes, you should be able to re-center it, if it's offset, just spend some time sighting it in, shoot a couple hundred rounds off on a target and see where you get.

Saying that...
If you get a magnifying scope, I honestly don't think it will serve you much of a purpose except for using it in place of binoculars for scanning the field and seeing a little further. Paintballs aren't consistant enough, and generally don't shoot far enough to warrant needing magnification. If you're looking though a scope with your left eye closed, and seeing a zoomed target, you'll likely not be able to see where your paintball is actually going. With a red dot, you keep both eyes open, so if your dot is on target, but hitting a little low, you know to raise your barrel a little and compensate.
Imagine doing that with a zoomed scope, trying to raise it to compensate, you'd basically only see a lens full of trees or sky and have no way of judging the arc of your shots. Just my two cents, not trying to dissuade you from getting one, just pointing out that getting an actual scope will not put your shot on target as if it was a rifle.
Hoped to help.

JoltZero
08-13-2008, 04:15 PM
If you get a magnifying scope, I honestly don't think it will serve you much of a purpose except for using it in place of binoculars for scanning the field and seeing a little further. Paintballs aren't consistant enough, and generally don't shoot far enough to warrant needing magnification.

Good point. Yeah, the local* woodsball fields aren't INCREDIBLY big, but still big enough that having a magnified view will still be a benefit to me and my teammates. I was looking at the scopes and they're mostly over $100, so I tried using my binoculars with my mask and I couldn't see (the eye relief was too small). Then I looked at binoculars for sale and they're even more than scopes...

What to do, what to do...

* Okay, not really local. It's like 30 minutes away but it's still the closest.

EDIT: Okay, some of the scopes say things like "3-9x40", "3-12x50", and "5x42". What do those numbers mean?

irishwarrior
08-13-2008, 04:43 PM
3-9x40 means that it magnifies 3x normal at minimum and 9x normal at maximum. The 40 is the diameter of the lens, the bigger the more light can pass through and I believe the more eye-relief. A good scope will cost $75 and up, mine was $110.

JoltZero
08-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh... Ok thanks.

I think I'm going to get that offset rail that you mentioned before, irishwarrior. It's cheap, looks nice, and has great reviews. However, it says, "Item will fit Custom 98, Model 98 and Custom Pro A-5 and BT-4". Nothing about MR2. Do you think it'll still work for it?

I think I'm gonna get this scope. (http://www.rap4.com/paintball/os/39x40-rubber-armor-scope-p-1762.html) Do you think it's a good choice?

KingTutBaller
08-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Just a tip, I'd try searching for the same or very similar scope from a different site than RAP4 just to compare prices, if Rap4 is selling it close to all the other retailiers, go for it, but I've seen far too many cases where Rap4 sells an identical item, calls it 'tactical' and hikes the price up a healthy percentage.

Another thing to consider, is having a chance to see the durability of the item you're going to be buying. It'd suck to ruin it after taking a dive into the dirt or something like that.

irishwarrior
08-14-2008, 10:27 AM
I got the RAP4 one and it's good. As for the rail, it'll fit. It mounts via the weaver rail.

JoltZero
08-17-2008, 03:53 PM
I got the RAP4 one and it's good. As for the rail, it'll fit. It mounts via the weaver rail.

Okay, now do you play scenario or woodsball more often and is it practical? I know I'm being really frustrating, but I'm really afraid of buying something and being really disappointed and not being able to return it. Since there aren't any good paintball stores around, online is really my only option.

I'm kind of leaning back towards the red dot (as putting a scope on will kind of prevent me from aiming), but I'm concerned about the "arching" (You know, how it doesn't really go straight for long it just kind of arches down? I'm pretty sure there's an official term for it, but I don't know it.). Will getting a better barrel fix that? That one on the spyder site that's made for the MRs looks really nice, but I can't find any reviews anywhere.

Again, I know I'm being frustrating and I really appreciate those who are helping me.

irishwarrior
08-17-2008, 04:02 PM
You'll have the same problem with drop-off with both a scope and red-dot. The red-dot would be more practical, I got my scope for looks :p. As long as you have a good ball-to-bore match you should be good as far as accuracy goes. And I play woodsball.

JoltZero
08-17-2008, 04:35 PM
As long as you have a good ball-to-bore match you should be good as far as accuracy goes.

What's that and how can I improve it?

irishwarrior
08-17-2008, 04:44 PM
It's how well the ball fits in the barrel. The best way to get a consistent ball-to-bore match is to get a barrel kit, however they are costly. To test the ball-to-bore match, put the ball in the unscrewed barrel and blow if it only comes out with a lot of effort the barrel is too small/ball too big and if it just rolls out the opposite is true. It should come out with little effort, but, shouldn't just roll out.

JoltZero
08-17-2008, 05:45 PM
...put the ball in the unscrewed barrel and blow if it only comes out with a lot of effort the barrel is too small/ball too big and if it just rolls out the opposite is true.

:bugeyes: What?! I thought all paintballs and barrels had a standard size... wow... uh, how can I tell how thick the inside of the barrel and size of the ball before I buy?

I normally buy these (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5280757&sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5280757) if it makes any difference.

sneekypete
08-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Here check this out
http://www.paintballtimes.com/Article.asp?ID=76
These might be better
Barrel (http://www.wolfpackpaintballteam.com/barrel_chart.html)
Paint (http://www.wolfpackpaintballteam.com/paint_chart.html)