PDA

View Full Version : paintball in the olympics?

kramernator
08-10-2008, 01:52 PM
do you guys think that paintball will get into the olympics any time soon?

DirtySouth
08-10-2008, 01:55 PM
That will never happen. The Olympics is for more "civilized" sports. I could see paintball in the X-Games. But not the Olympics.

DFSniper
08-10-2008, 01:59 PM
nope. not popular enough. and if you look at today's foreign pro teams: legion (russia), joy (denmark), syndicate (germany), bushwackers (UK), nexus (UK, are they still even around?), ton tons (france), x factor (canada), thats not even a handful of countries that would compete.

and it wont be in the xgames either because its a team sport...

i swear, this question comes up every year. noob...:dodgy:

maximus100389
08-10-2008, 02:21 PM
not even a 1 in a trillion chance

DirtySouth
08-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Oh yeah..Forgot bout that.

vikingshadow
08-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Nope, not a chance. Not only for what was said, but the overall attitude of the sport does not promote "unity and togetherness", if for nothing else but the attitude of a lot of the players in it.

It'll never be in the Xgames either, unless in a severly modified competition.

Personally, I don't want it in either one.

battlechaser
08-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Nope, not a chance. Not only for what was said, but the overall attitude of the sport does not promote "unity and togetherness", if for nothing else but the attitude of a lot of the players in it.

It'll never be in the Xgames either, unless in a severly modified competition.

Personally, I don't want it in either one.

QFT. The way our sport is portrayed in the media is more detriment to that than anything else.

TheDarkShadow
08-10-2008, 04:21 PM
actually, I was laying in bed thinking about it last night, it could easily work for the olympics, but it will never happen.

strick04
08-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah it'll never happen. But since they play lame games like "Handball" and "Badmitton" in the olympics I don't know why they couldn't play paintball. Oh well your right it's probably not popular enough. To bad.

vikingshadow
08-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Like I said, popularity isn't what determines whether a sport makes it into the Olympics. In the past they had tug of war, Simon Says, and other weird things like that in the Olympics. It's not a matter of "popularity" because the sport is indeed popular.

You have to remember what the Olympics is about - bringing nations together and "fighting" it out in true sportsmanship ways, and bringing a spirit of "togetherness" and "oneness", or something like that. When was the last time a paintball tournament showed more than a bare modicum of any of those things? Tack onto that the the very first idea of the Olympics was to stop warfare for a short time and engage in true feats of athleticism - and most of the non-playing world still sees paintball as a bunch of guys running around shooting guns at each other playing wargames...sort of goes against the grain, doesn't it?

Also, when was the last time you saw a HUGE internet presence of swimmers, bicyclists, gymnists, or whatever sport doing nothing but calling each other names and putting each other done, not yearly, monthly or daily, but by the MINUTE?

Again, popularity doesn't have a thing to do with it - if so, you'd see it in the olympics as paintball is the 3rd most popular "extreme" sport...it's the idiots that are spewing garbage and portraying an image NOT SUITABLE FOR PEOPLE TO WATCH that's keeping it out.

Of course I could be wrong - but I don't think I'm too far off...

XSiv Force
08-10-2008, 06:50 PM
well problems could araise with tempers even more than normal
i mean look at how people get upset in normal tourneys
now take that to the next level and tempers flare
it would be cool to see it any major multi event competition

DFSniper
08-10-2008, 08:18 PM
another thing to think about is how easy it is the view the game. paintball is a participation sport, not one you can watch from the stands. i hate watching games on TV, because you can never see everything thats going on at once. everyones too spread out to be able to watch the whole team at once (unless it was 3v3 or MAYBE 5v5...)

shark
08-11-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't think it will ever make it into the Olympics but I think the X-Games aren't too far off and I'm all for it. I think it would only help our sport grow and get positive publicity.

spyderpaintball
08-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Vike I think you are partially right. The image of paintball needs to be cleaned up a lot in order to gain more national recognition, but I think that a better scenario for the sport as a whole would be the emergence of a top tier tournament circuit that begins to be televised. Whether that be the PSP/NXL, NPPL. or some other circuit. That way paintball can be seen for what the sport truly is. No need to brand us an "Extreme Sport" any more than we are to get in the X-Games. Also with the Olympics there has to be enough countries that play the sport and until tournament paintball becomes cheaper for the masses than that requirement will be hard to fulfill.

GR34
08-11-2008, 02:08 PM
I was talking about this with a friend the other day, It would be awesome sport to see but the only problem is is that counters would mare then Likley use there Combat infantry in it would not be fair because we Canadians and the British would always win(Because of the SAS and JTF2 people would be used) but yea would never happen but it would be really cool if it did

XSiv Force
08-11-2008, 04:35 PM
leaving it alone and alking away

DFSniper
08-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I was talking about this with a friend the other day, It would be awesome sport to see but the only problem is is that counters would mare then Likley use there Combat infantry in it would not be fair because we Canadians and the British would always win(Because of the SAS and JTF2 people would be used) but yea would never happen but it would be really cool if it did

you forgot Delta, AFSOC, and SEALs :D oh, and the Israeli Defense Forces...

battlechaser
08-11-2008, 04:54 PM
you forgot Delta, AFSOC, and SEALs :D oh, and the Israeli Defense Forces...

Zohan? :p

XSiv Force
08-11-2008, 05:38 PM
The Marines!!!!! Hoo-rah!!!!!!!! Semper Fi!!!!!! :d

Plus we have Chuck Norris

Norris= Win

Hossy
08-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Yeah it'll never happen. But since they play lame games like "Handball" and "Badmitton" in the olympics I don't know why they couldn't play paintball. Oh well your right it's probably not popular enough. To bad.

You may call Badmitton and sports of the sort 'lame' but in some parts of the world sports like that are very popular. It isnt always about what is the US's best interest, or any other country. Actually, watching any sport in the olympics is humbling because of all the effort people do, and how fit/talented people who do the sport are.

Modded-Like-Hell
08-11-2008, 06:05 PM
The Marines!!!!! Hoo-rah!!!!!!!! Semper Fi!!!!!! :d

Plus we have Chuck Norris

Norris= Win

and we have the Ultimate Warrior which was the ULTIMATE STERIOD ABUSER and would cheat through every game.

chuck norris once played a game of russian roulette with a fully loaded gun and won

vikingshadow
08-11-2008, 06:15 PM
You may call Badmitton and sports of the sort 'lame' but in some parts of the world sports like that are very popular. It isnt always about what is the US's best interest, or any other country. Actually, watching any sport in the olympics is humbling because of all the effort people do, and how fit/talented people who do the sport are.

One of the cool things I heard during the opening ceremony was that a lot of the smaller countries come into the Olympics knowing they don't stand a chance in their sport. Yet, they show up - on a world stage - and give it all they have. We Americans are quite cocky when this sort of thing comes about - we could learn something of humbleness, and determination, from these countries.

DFSniper
08-12-2008, 07:23 AM
one word. curling. i have never met ANYONE that plays that, but its in the olympics. just because we dont play it doesnt mean other people do, and vice versa...

Hossy
08-12-2008, 08:02 AM
one word. curling. i have never met ANYONE that plays that, but its in the olympics. just because we dont play it doesnt mean other people do, and vice versa...

I had the Nagano Olympics game for N64 back in the day and couldnt play Curling to save my life. Funny that you said that brought back a few memories.

STRIKEFIRST
08-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Archery...I love Archery...It's never televised...or RARELY...My parents divorce when I was a Teen put a halt to my "training" I was going to make a go at the Olympic Team.

But anyway there is a prime example of taking a wepon of war and turning it into a friendly competition...Wrestling another...I would assume it's possible...but I don't believe shooting a projectile at another person is in the spirit of the games...too new age?

DFSniper
08-12-2008, 09:48 AM
i shot competition rifle in high school. and if you made it to nationals, they had olympic shooters as coaches. never watched much in the olympics, but i watched the biathalon a few years ago, that was interesting.

TheRedBarron
08-12-2008, 11:20 AM
nope. not popular enough. and if you look at today's foreign pro teams: legion (russia), joy (denmark), syndicate (germany), bushwackers (UK), nexus (UK, are they still even around?), ton tons (france), x factor (canada), thats not even a handful of countries that would compete.

and it wont be in the xgames either because its a team sport...

i swear, this question comes up every year. noob...:dodgy:

Be nice...

nastystankweed
08-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeay guatemala is there we have a whole 6 athletes I think. I have to disagree with you that the USA is cocky. They are super humbling and if not the most dedicated athletes in the world. Look at Mike Phelps 4 Golds so far hes not cocky about it he sais its all practice. Look at the USA basketball team theyve been practicing 3 ears for these olympics.

kramernator
08-12-2008, 06:40 PM

ah.....curling.....my cousins have lots of curling trophies, there is actually a curling...court?... arena? place about 40 minutes away from me. but for the most part, most people have never heard of the sport.

oh and about the attitudes, i would say that most countries think we are cocky, kind of a stereotype, we have been know to do some, not so good things in the past. but at these Olympics you can't complain about tour behavior to much.

vikingshadow
08-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Ok, I should have clarified. Our Olympic athletes aren't really cocky, per se - not counting the basketball players. I think the normal American Olympians have to follow some kind of code of conduct. Not that they necessarily would be. I actually think they're the real deal, and not that cocky at all, though they definitely could be if they wanted!

I'm actually referring to the normal, everyday player - like paintball players as eluded to in the title of this thread. Don't think we're cocky? Go read a few pages on PBN...

especiialypsycho
08-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Go read a few pages on PBN...

why would anyone risk being caught in a flame war like that vike?

vikingshadow
08-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Because we're reckless and dangerous, of course!

Hey, speaking of Phelps, does anyone else think that all these world records in swimming that are getting shattered has anything to do with these new suits they're all wearing and are a bit unfair to the old record holders? Kind of like when Hank Aaron beat Babe Ruth's homerun record, Hank had played in something like 4000 games more than Babe Ruth? I always think that for a record to be broken, it needs to follow the same pattern as the previous one, but that's just me...

especiialypsycho
08-12-2008, 08:25 PM
I agree with vike it really isnt breaking the old record if you have all these new fangeled gadgest helping you, or you do it longer than the previous as stated in the babe ruth example vike said.

vikingshadow
08-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Don't get me wrong - I'm impressed that they did it. I just question some of the records being broken sometimes.

Hossy
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Ive heard it before, and Ill say it. Records are made to be broken.

I would like to see everyone have to wear the same types of suits as they did in times past. It would be a little more fair for the records, but as long as everyone has the same suit on for the race I think its fair on the point that the fastest person will win, because it creates more of an even playing field. (again, for the race)

I saw we beat a record by like 5 seconds. Thats crazy. I would say we are talented, and we may have better technology and training methods than past olympians have had. but id also say the suit has something to do with it. 5 seconds in the swimming world is a lifetime, so the suits have to have helped.

On the Aaron thing, I feel things like that are fair because if you sweat it out and play a few more years, than that gives you an advantage. its not like he just got to walk up to the plate the extra times just to break the record. he had to play the game as well, and did a great job at doing it.

vikingshadow
08-13-2008, 05:21 AM
Well, sure. I don't want to take anything away from the record holders because they did work hard and are very, very talented. I just think that the extenuating circumstances should be noted as well - the Hank Aaron thing was just an example. Babe Ruth's record was set in more games than the guy before him, even!

Definitely - the suit had something to do with it. And you're right - they all got the opportunity to wear the suit, so the field was even. That's not even an issue, as far as I'm concerned. They all got the chance to do it!

spyderpaintball
08-13-2008, 06:03 AM
Records are a false glory in my opinion. There are so many variables that lead to either breaking or creating a new record. Technology, training, weather, etc. all factor into it. I think sports competition should be less about previous accomplishment and more about the current competition. current competition is almost always on some sort of level playing field.

nastystankweed
08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Sorry for bringing this back up and going off topic again but, I saw on the news that these suits make a 2% increase in performance and mike phelps is beating the record by about 4 seconds that isnt a 2% increase in performance its alot more. The guy is simply unbelievable he is just so far ahead of his competition its unbeleivable. Iam not a fan of swimming but, I cant get enough of him. I get goosbumps when i see him race and kick butt.

vikingshadow
08-14-2008, 05:01 AM
You sound like my wife - but, she's a girl.... :p

Just playin', man!

kramernator
08-14-2008, 09:11 AM
i heard that Phelps has something going one with his knee and ankle joints, that they can hyper extend a little or something

Hoppy11
08-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Both his knees are double jointed and his ankles are probably the most flexable ankles in the world right now. I saw this in an interview with either him or his coach, I can't remember who it was.

TheRedBarron
08-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Thread closed, make an Olympic discussion thread in NPT if you want to talk about the Olympics.