PDA

View Full Version : modding stock valve/valve stem

SideSwipe226
08-07-2008, 12:09 AM
i wanted to buy a new valve for my spyder, but then i remembered i was broke. so i was wondering if there was any modding i can do to a stock valve/valve stem to let more air into my marker. is there?

vikingshadow
08-07-2008, 06:47 AM
You can flatten the other side of it, just like the already flattened side. If you have a lathe, you can cut a little off the back part of the pin near the cup seal. However, both of this will severly weaken the pin.

You can also just polish it.

battlechaser
08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
You can drill out the top hole, but personally, I'd just wait until you have a couple bucks, 32 degrees Magnaport valves go for cheap on eBay, that might be an idea.

SideSwipe226
08-07-2008, 07:05 PM
i got a magnaport valve. i doesnt really work. it just leaks.

SideSwipe226
08-07-2008, 07:10 PM
doing both of those things, like flattening out one side of the stem and drilling out the top of the valve, will it give the valve a higher flow?

DRAGON
08-07-2008, 07:47 PM
i got a magnaport valve. i doesnt really work. it just leaks.

I suspect it's leaking because you're either using the brass cup seal that came with it or not using a Lapco type cup seal. Is this just the valve body or the whole assembly? -

If it leaks it can be fixed. You just have to know what to do - ;)

SideSwipe226
08-07-2008, 08:24 PM
well, i purchased it here on the soc forums. the person eho gave it to me didnt give me a brass cup seal. he gave me a delrin cup seal. and the valve stem looked like a stock one.

vikingshadow
08-07-2008, 08:44 PM
doing both of those things, like flattening out one side of the stem and drilling out the top of the valve, will it give the valve a higher flow?

Along with drilling out the hole on top, yeah, it should give it a little more flow. But, like I said, it'll weaken the pin quite a bit.

I suspect it's leaking because you're either using the brass cup seal that came with it or not using a Lapco type cup seal. Is this just the valve body or the whole assembly? -

If it leaks it can be fixed. You just have to know what to do - ;)
Sometimes the delrin seal needs to be "helped" along. What I used to do is push the cup seal into the valve and sort of make a groove where it seals. Also, the leak - is it leaking down the barrel, or the grip? Could it be a seal AROUND the valve, or within it? I'd suggest doing that thing with the cup seal I mentioned, and changing the orings on the valve itself.

SideSwipe226
08-07-2008, 09:03 PM
when you say weaken, what do you mean? does it become bendable or could it possibly snap in two? and it leaks out the barrel.

vikingshadow
08-07-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm not saying it'll snap or bend, but it possibly could. Remember, you'll have a heavier piece of hardened steel slamming on it at high rates. However, the part it hits is relatively small and it is guided with the valve as a "sleeve: for it, so it's just a theory actually...

If it leaks out the barrel, I'd say it's the cup seal. Either do what I said above, or get a new one.

SideSwipe226
08-07-2008, 11:00 PM
well, actually i have that dh ti striker. so will that make it more likely or less likely to snap/bend?

Sandman_Bravo
08-08-2008, 03:25 AM
http://www.banditpaintball.com/customer/product.php?productid=92&cat=0

or there is a combo deal with a bolt:

http://www.banditpaintball.com/customer/home.php?cat=265

Good price and it works!

SideSwipe226
08-08-2008, 07:53 AM
no i dont have that kinda money...but i have a good bolt that i like. i hae alamo low blow bolt.

pinkanese
08-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Alright, I have a few things you can do, you just need a drill, drill press, some bits, and a file. I will have to go and check up on the exact sizes in a minute.

First and foremost though, you will need a Lapco cupseal or similar. I have some I can sell you for realllly cheap. But on to the mods...

1. The simplest of them all, drill out the top hole of the valve, as large as you can get it, but be careful not to cut into the oring grooves or you will have a never ending leak.

2. Mod the pin, first thing to do is take a file and flatten off the bottum side, you shouldn't have to take off too much since you have a DH striker. Next take an old stock cupseal and put it on the pin, then tighten the cupseal down in the chuck of the drill. Push in the trigger on the drill and touch the file to it. You can take off a lot of material this way, there si very little chance that you will ever break the pin.

3. Lastly, the most difficult mod. You are going to bore out the hole on the front of the valve and file down the lip on the. You can't take out too much material in the hole, and you will need a drill press to do it properly,a dn don't go too deep just go to the two holes in the middle don't cut any off the material in the back. After you have a nice hole, start filing the front of the valve, you only need about 1/32 of an inch there, jsut make sure it is flat or you will have a nice big leak.

And that is pretty much all I have for ya, I can get eh exact sizes later, but mostly you just need to do it by eye.

ferret15
10-09-2008, 08:06 AM
5/16?

Darcman
10-21-2008, 09:34 PM
how do i take the valve out?