PDA

View Full Version : Two year old iPod problem...

Jegger24
08-06-2008, 08:45 AM
I received a 5th generation iPod video for Christmas two years ago. I absolutely LOVE my iPod! I am a huge music fan and it went in every vehicle I entered.

Well, a few weeks back, I was listening to my iPod as I was driving home from work. Suddenly the music turned into static - at first it was almost unnoticeable, but then the music turned to complete static.... then nothing. I've tried re-setting and restoring it numerous times, but the problem persists. It would work for awhile, maybe two or three minutes, then POOF... no more music.

While I wait for my new driveway concrete to cure, I hopped on the Apple website to find out what kind of "support" was available. The information at first seemed positive...lots of customers had the same problems and they sent it in and it costed them $30. It didn't seem to be too bad of a price... Afterall, that was about the same price as to what I paid for Dye to tune up my PM6!

Well, I read a little more and determined (obviously) that my iPod is out of warranty, and the minimum repair price would be $129.

So, now I am FURIOUS. I baby everything I own, I am proud that I keep my belongings in "new" condition. If I figure it right, this seems like a manufacturing defect. All these other users had the same problem...why wouldn't Apple cover their errors / own problems and "support" their product? Did they? Nope... lots of unhappy customers.

I know this could have went into the ranting thread, but I was hoping that someone would be able to give me some suggestions on what to do. I am going to try and contact Apple and see what they say to begin with.

If it is in fact $129 to fix, I might as well get a new one! I don't want to do that... I am gracious that my parents spent that much for me for Christmas... and it wasn't the only gift I received!

Sorry for the ranting and raving, but I am pretty bummed right now... :(

Critical
08-06-2008, 09:02 AM
I would start by making a copy of the internet communities resolutions, and how it was covered when in warranty. Then, I would contact Apple, with that information in hand, and, very politely, mention how you have been a very satisfied customer, have never had a warranty claim before, and have this information from online communities how Apple was fixing it for them. It might or might not work, it worked for me with Volkswagen, but it really depends on the company.

Just as a side note, what did the online support say the issue was? If it's something simple, you might be able to buy the parts and fix it yourself for less than the out-of-warranty repair cost.

Jegger24
08-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Here is the forum thread I was talking about.... http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1095417&tstart=0

I have been reading and reading and reading... and from what I can tell, one lone person was able to get a replacement iPod... and it sounded like a remanufactured one that will probably do the same thing...

The problem seems to be a loose chip on the board. Doesn't sound like it is a cheap replacement... the entire board gets replaced... if I am reading it right....

badlandsrox
08-06-2008, 09:30 AM
are you still using the same headphones? cause if so, that may be your problem, ive had that problem before but it was just the headphones that were doing it and when i replaced them it went away.

Jegger24
08-06-2008, 09:33 AM
are you still using the same headphones? cause if so, that may be your problem, ive had that problem before but it was just the headphones that were doing it and when i replaced them it went away.

Not the headphones. It initially started in my truck when I had it directly connected to my Kenwood deck. I tried several sets of headphones and none of them help.

I push on the bottom right corner and the music comes back.... until I let off of it. How depressing... I loved this thing... :(

Here is the pricing that they give online...

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/prices/#us

VicReschke0626
08-06-2008, 10:01 AM
iPods are made to self-destruct somewhere between 2-3years. Repairs will always end up costing you about half the price of a new iPod. Which always leaves you wondering whether you should just get a new one or not.

I feel your pain, I keep my iPods in such good condition that they don't even have scratches on that easy to scratch metal back. But like magic, everytime they get almost three years old, the hard drive will start clicking and will die.

Apply MIGHT replace it for you if you have Apple Care and the outside of your iPod is PERFECT. But otherwise, they just try to bend you over to make you consider buying a new one.

Trust me, I'm an expert, I'm on my 11th iPod and I've owned them since Gen 1. The first few generations broke in a year, my first video iPod lasted about two years, then hard drive started clicking and grinding randomly.

Took it to the Apple store, they pointed out damage on it I could never see and voided my Apple Care on it saying they I had pretty much done the equivalent of tossing it into the Grand Canyon and driving over it with a steamroller a few hundred times. I ended up getting into a huge argument at Apple which ended in that employee getting fired and my iPod still not being replaced. Needless to say, I don't bother with Apple or their warranties anymore. I bought my 80GB at Best Buy about two years ago after this incident, and I BABY that sucker like crazy, but I'm pretty much waiting for it to break now. It's only a matter of time.

iPods are like SP guns. They'll make you happy for a little while, until they break themselves and force you to buy a newer/better/more expensive one.

Still, I'll take an iPod over any other media device out there.

Jegger24
08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the reply Vic! I was looking at mine and there isn't a scratch, nic, or ding on this thing anywhere. I'm so mad...

I worked all night, and decided to stay up to make sure nobody messes with the concrete. It is pretty well cured... so I think I am going to go cry myself to sleep since I am going to have to hawk up a bunch of money for a new iPod instead of paintball gear....