PDA

View Full Version : Shotguns help

The Pumper
08-04-2008, 09:31 PM
I dont know if this illegal since its not a b/s/t, but I needed some help on shotguns. After hunting with my cousin, I got hooked. Also, I love watching the shows and watching them hunt for huge bucks.

So my question is...
what company should I look into buying?
I dont know how some of the shotguns kick, but I know 12 gauges kick hard..so I want to stay 20 gauge or higher [or lower kick wise]

Also, I want to know how to obtain a hunting license.

Please, only respond if you have great knowledge of the shotguns or license obtaining. I know Supa hunts, but idk about anyone else. Any accurate help is appreciated.

slim and shady
08-04-2008, 10:10 PM
I hunt and use shotguns all the time however only the 12 guage so im going to stay away from that question. But I will ask what do you plan on hunting with it? there are far better guns used to go after "huge bucks" a shotgun might not even be what you are looking for.

for the licens you have to tak the "hunters education corse" its a easy common seance test that can just be challenged or you can take the day corse. After you pass with 80% or higher they give you a WIN number (wildlife identifacation number) thia ia the number that is specific to you and used to get tags ect. so you hae to take the corse, and be over 14. Then you will also want to get a possesion licence so that you can legaly own guns to hunt. Hope this helps.

TheDarkShadow
08-05-2008, 06:20 AM
I know in indiana you cannot use highpowered rifles for hunting (30-06, 30-30, ect) but you can use handguns or rifles that use handgun ammunition. I'm not sure about New York though.

12 guage will have more kick in general compared to 20 guage, but not in all cases, such as my 12 guage pump does not kick as bad as my brother's 20 guage single shot. The heavier your gun is, the less kick it will have.

As far as looking into buying one, since this is your first shotgun I would recommend a remington 870 express. since you are wanting to deer hunt you may want to look into the combo kit with 26 inch ventilated rib barrel and a 20 inch fully rifled barrel. It's a very good gun for the price

LINK> http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_combos.asp

xsvly-fat
08-05-2008, 10:24 AM
I use a 20 gauge and I don't think it kicks alot, I would look for a Browning (if you want to spend some money) or a Remington is also a good choice

DirtySouth
08-05-2008, 10:30 AM
First off, a 12 gauge doesn't kick that hard. I'm 15 and I've been shooting a 12 gauge since the age of 13.

I'd look into Remington.

And also, shotguns are for dove hunting, not deer hunting.

To get a license, you can goto Wal-Mart and take the program there. I took a 2 day course there and got my license after taking a test.

durrell
08-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Can't go wrong with Remington for budget pricing. You do not want to go smaller than a 12ga. It is pretty much the "jack of all trades" when it comes to shotguns. You can hunt deer with it, but you can also hunt duck, geese, dove, etc. with it. I have a 20ga. as a personal gun but I use one of my dad's 12 gauges when I'm hunting. My 20ga. was my first gun and I really only use it for skeet shooting and dove hunting now. It just doesn't have enough knockdown power for anything else.

Browning and Benelli are the "cream of the crop" for shotguns, the best there is.

You need to familiarize yourself with your state's hunting laws and regulations, they can be very tedious. Mainly season laws, bag limits, etc.

In NC you have to take a Hunter's Safety Course to acquire a license. You also get a "Big Game Report Card" every year where you "tag" your deer and other large animals.

Hunting deer with a shotgun is pretty challenging, especially for a new hunter. But it is certainly possible if you do your homework.

Good luck and I'm sure if you have any questions we can answer them. ;)