PDA

View Full Version : Need help from computer people about processors

maximus100389
08-04-2008, 05:48 PM
So I'm currently running a 3 Ghz pentium4 with hyper threading, 800 Mhz bus, 1mb L2 cache.

i was thinking of upgrading to a core 2 duo, wolfdale 3Ghz, 65W, 6MB L2 cache, 1333 Mhz bus, blah blah blah

will i see significant improvement?

Muddytaco
08-04-2008, 06:33 PM
You should see a pretty significant improvement when multitasking and using photoshop, video editing software, etc.

DFSniper
08-04-2008, 08:19 PM
yeah. do a google search comparing intel dual core processors. you should come up with a few articles.

the thing to remember is to make sure your sockets match. IIRC, almost ALL intel dual cores are socket 775, not sure about the old P4s though. thats the problem i ran into with my computer when the motherboard died. the AMD socket 939 was outdated, so i have to get a complete new motherboard, cpu, and RAM setup.

and see if you can find the 3Ghz dual core in 45nm technology. it runs a lot cooler than standard 65nm, so you dont have to worry about your PC possibly overheating.

maximus100389
08-04-2008, 11:00 PM
i know what socket i have (775) etc.

and the core 2 duo i was looking at runs on only 65W which is much less power than most processors thus cooler temps

DFSniper
08-05-2008, 06:17 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

is that the one? my best friend was looking into that, and he said the only reason he picked the 2.53 over the 3.00 was because there was something in the review saying that it didnt overclock as much. but if you're not worried about overclocking your cpu, that should work fine.

HelpDeskHustler
08-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Your Bus speed will be hard limited by the motherboard, so it may still be 800 even though you could send 1333. You need to check that, as it will be a significant factor in how fast things are done. 800 is pretty high though.

durrell
08-05-2008, 04:47 PM
That P4 with 2GB of RAM would be plenty depending on what you're doing and what OS you're running.

What kind of things are you using your computer for?

maximus100389
08-05-2008, 05:40 PM
i just need basic operating speed of programs to be faster, but multitabbing in explorer or running multiple programs is really limiting me right now. im running 1 gig with xp with my P4 right now. its better than most but i need some better preformance.

and yes, that was the one i was looking at. and no, i dont think ill be overclocking so its not really a factor in my decision.

maximus100389
08-05-2008, 05:41 PM
ps im getting another gig of memory or so, along with the processor

Muddytaco
08-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Just remember that if your running XP your limited to 3.33 GB of ram no matter how much you put in, so don't go crazy with the ram.

durrell
08-06-2008, 06:55 AM
i just need basic operating speed of programs to be faster, but multitabbing in explorer or running multiple programs is really limiting me right now. im running 1 gig with xp with my P4 right now. its better than most but i need some better preformance.

and yes, that was the one i was looking at. and no, i dont think ill be overclocking so its not really a factor in my decision.

ps im getting another gig of memory or so, along with the processor

Well assuming you have the extra cash to do it, you're definitely going to see a major increase in performance. You're pretty much doubling everything you have now. Probably overkill for what you need, but if you have the cash then go for it.

PS: I'm running the same setup as you (P4 Northwood 3.00ghz HT, 1GB of RAM) and I run some pretty intense programs. Are you sure you shouldn't just try a reformat of XP and then maybe another gig of RAM before you go and spend all that cash? Just a suggestion. Depending on how old your XP install is, that can make a pretty big difference in speed. Windows gets bogged down after awhile. :p

maximus100389
08-06-2008, 08:25 AM
ill try the ram first, you can buy a gig online at newegg for $30-$40

maximus100389
08-06-2008, 08:43 AM
i dont have a boot disk anyways so i cant reformat unless i call gateway and ask for one, and they will probably charge me

DFSniper
08-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Your Bus speed will be hard limited by the motherboard, so it may still be 800 even though you could send 1333. You need to check that, as it will be a significant factor in how fast things are done. 800 is pretty high though.
i beg to differ. 800 is base line now. most mobos are 1000 to 1333 while the good ones are 1333/1600.
Just remember that if your running XP your limited to 3.33 GB of ram no matter how much you put in, so don't go crazy with the ram.
yeah, my friend found that out the hard way. im surprised microsoft hasnt fixed that yet since they fixed the 137gb HDD cap with SP2...

durrell
08-06-2008, 02:07 PM
i dont have a boot disk anyways so i cant reformat unless i call gateway and ask for one, and they will probably charge me

You're going to have to reformat anyway when you get the new mobo and processor, so you may want to look into that.

Good call on trying the RAM first, though. I'm fairly certain it will do what you need it to. Just make sure it's compatible with your mobo. And if your mobo supports dual-channel RAM, go with a "kit" of two sticks of RAM. It's definitely worth the extra to have 2 sticks operating in dual-channel vs. non-dual-channel.

DFSniper
08-06-2008, 02:17 PM
D, that what i always heard, but from past experiences, my friends and i have never had to reformat the c drive with either the new cpu or mobo...

and while ram will increase your performance, unless you add about at least 512, you wont see much of an increase. cpus on the other hand increase your speed significantly. try to just free up your ram with Free RAM XP Pro (http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/software.html).

durrell
08-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Oh yeah, well today normally you upgrade RAM by the gig. So from 1GB to 2GB.

And I've never changed a proc before so I'm not sure about that. I know if it was me, I'd want to reformat..but that's just me. If you can get by without it, I guess that's your choice. :p

DFSniper
08-06-2008, 02:43 PM
my best friend's cpu died, so he went ahead and built himself a new pc (later we found out that the mobo fried too.)

he went from an AMD 3400 1.8 GHz (OC'd to 2.5) on an Asus motherboard to an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz (OC'd to 3.2) and a DLI Lanparty mobo. i'm sure that theres drivers from the mobo and AMD sitting on his HDD that are just taking up room, but its not that big of a deal. and if you can't get TuneUp Utilities to get it off, you can always go in and delete them yourself.

maximus100389
08-06-2008, 05:20 PM
well im def going with the ram upgrade first even if i decide beforehand to buy a new cpu

thanks for the help