PDA

View Full Version : Barrel?

glenlevy
08-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Would anyone know what a good 14" Barrel would be for my MR1?

I went playing this past weekend and one of the ref's there had said that I would get better accuracy and distance, if I had a better barrel (right now I have just the stock MR1 barrel).

I have read that Smart Parts has good 14" barrel's, but I am not sure which one to get? I was looking at there website and was considering the "Progressive, 14", for Spyder, Black".

Also if I get this barrel would it fit standard size paint balls? like the same paint balls the stock Spyer MR1 barrel uses?

Thank you in advance,
Glen

sneekypete
08-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Barrels are one of those things that everybody will have an oppinion and not alway the same oppinion. Go to Shady's Expiriance...... in my sig and read about the barrels I and everyone in there has used. All the barrels that are on there can fit the MR-1 with out having to mill them to fit.
You ask if you can still use standard paintball .68 cal with after market barrels. After market barrels use the .68 cal. but vary slightly. Balls and Barrels sizes can range from .681-.696 approximatly. To be the most accurate you want to match the barrel bore size with the paintball size. You can find the info on line. A way to check to see if you have the right match is take a few paintballs and roll then through the barrel. The ball should roll slowly through. Hope that helps

irishwarrior
08-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Personally, I think the Progressive is a very good barrel, as long as you have a good paint-to-bore match it will fire very accurately. I also think a barrel kit would be a good investment.

Zee
08-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Before you go and drop a ton of money on a serious barrel, barrel kit and inserts, ask yourself how often do you play, how serious are you about it and what type of game do you play? All you may need is a JJ ceramic. If you want something even better, more power to you. Just think it through a lil before you drop your cash on something you may not need.

glenlevy
08-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Zee,

Some very valid points, and thank you (as well as everyone above) for your advice.

After considering everything you have listed, I am thinking i want to start off a bit less expensive until I pick up more and more into the sport. Looking online at jj ceramic barrel's and the Progressive Smart Parts (both 14") barrel's at zephyrpaintball.com both are around the same price ($5 difference), and I think I will start with those. I have learned that in the grand scheme of this sport, a $30 barrel isn't a bad price (and considering the avg. box of field paint goes for like $75, what is $30), and probably worth the investment. If I ever really pick up my playing time (from about once a month to more than that), I will then consider investing in something a little more "advanced".

Thank you again everyone for all of your help.
Glen

Zee
08-04-2008, 03:21 PM
NP pal...hope you find what you're looking for.

slim and shady
08-04-2008, 06:59 PM
I really like the progressive so I support that choice. If you want keep an eye on the BST sections I bought a 7 peice empire barrel kit for under 30$ there and it was practicaly new, no scratches ect. so if your thinkin about a kit I would watch there.

glenlevy
08-05-2008, 05:27 AM
Thank you very much all.

-Glen