PDA

View Full Version : My First MR1 Upgrades: I need your Help/Opinions

Sacks
08-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Hello everyone, finally got approved to post on these forums.

Here is my situation: I'm getting into woodsball and I needed a solid starter gun. From all the research I've done the MR1 takes the cake as it's easy to upgrade, fair prices, and good all around play.

It's pretty safe to say I'm not going to get far if I just use the MR1 right out the box so I'll have to upgrade. I read Hossy's Ultimate Resource Thread (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=8371) and here are the list of upgrades I want to make to my MR1. I need your opinions and help on the upgrades as I'm not 100%.

14" J&J cermic barrel

Hopper - I plan on using the standard gravity fed hopper even though I have a feeling I'm going to be upgrading this real quick.

Elbow/Feedneck - Going to upgrade this b/c from what friends tell me and what I've read the stock elbow breaks in no time.

Compressed Air - I'm going to stick with the co2 seeing as the really neat compressed air is way out of my budget.

Sights/Scope - Considering the stock mr1 sights are terrible.. I'm going to get this upgrade. For Spyder's do I have to get Red Dot Tactical Scope or is it possible to get a lets say get a Tiberius Arms Red Dot Scope? Would the Tiberius Arms Red Dot Scope still be moutable even if the marker is a Spyder?

Thanks!

The Pumper
08-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Barrel is good.
You may want a revolution or evolution hopper in the future.
Since its a sidefeed, most angled feednecks are the same.
Compressed air is up to you. If you got the money, get it. If not, then co2 will be fine.
I'm not sure on the scope/sights.

SpyderMan723
08-01-2008, 10:24 AM
you can buy the MR3 rail then put a nice scope on there.

sneekypete
08-01-2008, 11:17 AM
1st Welcome to the Forums. Have a look at my sig and you can see what I have done with my red dot sight. You can mount any scope that fits weaver rails on to the MR-1. If you want to use the MR-3 scope mount I think you need 3/8 dove tail in stead of the weaver but I am not sure on that.
I also think that you will want to upgrade you hopper. Click on the link in my sig and it will give you what we think about the loaders we have used. Keep in mind the this was created for the MR-2 but it will give you a good starting point as to what to get.

Modded-Like-Hell
08-01-2008, 12:11 PM
welcome to forum. 1st upgrade you can do is a new barrel. 14'' barrel is good. you may find one used in the sales corner thread on this forum. also you may want to buy a spring kit to keep in handy. some mr1 tend to run hot (high fps) out of the box.

Zee
08-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Barrel - 100% get a new one...JJ work great and they're reasonable priced.
Hopper - Play with your MR1 a few times and see how you play...you might not even outshoot a grav hopper depending on your style.
Feedneck - spyder clamping feedneck (plastic) is cheap and works (easy to replace)
Sight/Rail - Great add on....love mine (MR3 rail, Tasco Red Dot and a weaver rail adapter/riser)
Spring kit - always nice to have

Hopes this helps....remember..just an opinion.

irishwarrior
08-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Barrel: Definitely replace, I found the Smart Parts Progressive 14" worked excellently.
Hopper: In the two years I've played with an MR1 I have yet to need to upgrade the hopper, I've only chopped about 3 or 4 times.
Feedneck: Still have the stock one, it hasn't broken and it's seen some abuse.
Sight/Scope: What Pete said!

I would recommend a 32* Spring Kit, a Spyder O-ring kit and a swab/squeegie. Also before getting any upgrades, just play with it and see what you would (within reason) like to improve.

DFSniper
08-01-2008, 03:04 PM
barrel: 14" J&J Ceramic or the J&J Edge kit. i would highly reccomend a barrel kit right away.

hopper: with blowbacks, you sometimes experience popcorning, which is the excess air pushing paint back into the hopper, causing chops and a big mess. i would get a cheap force-fed hopper such as the viewloader evolution II or 3. they run about $30-$35 used on the forums.

feedneck. definitely. even before you get a barrel or hopper, replace the plastic one. i heard the trinity one is nice, but you can also get a very nice CCM one from sundragonpps.com

Sacks
08-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys and for the websites for cheap prices. I don't have a dealer here in New York so it's online for me. As I begin to upgrade I'll post my results in the "Show your MR1" thread.

Thanks again for the nice welcome.

Modded-Like-Hell
08-01-2008, 08:04 PM
well for a electronic hopper go to walmart and get a VL revolution force loader for $30

sneekypete
08-02-2008, 08:12 AM
To be honest with you I have not had the chance to use the Red Dot Scope. Too busy using my MR2 I guess. There are alot of people that I paly with who use them and they really like them. I am going to use my MR-1 this weekend and I will let you know how it goes. The sight is called a Sharpeye Classic with a cantileaver (sp)mount.(the sight and the mount came as one unit). Yes the top bar on my stock is cut so I can use the red dot sight.

As for the Q-loader I LOVE IT!!!! After saying that it is not for everybody. To find out more go here (http://www.qloader.com/) or you can read what we think by clicking on the link labeled "Shady expeiance..." That should give you lots of info on the Q-loader.

I know what its like when you have so many ?. I got most of mine answered right from this forum. The guys here seem to be an infanate (sp) source of knowledge and very willing to help. If you have any other ? do a search (at the top of page) and if you can not find it just put up a thread and I am sure some will answer it.

Sacks
08-02-2008, 08:49 AM
All right please let me know how it goes with the red dot sight.

As for the Q-Loader, I'll play a few games with the standard hopper that I'm going to get in the package and see how that goes before I upgrade. Since I can only go paintballing once every other month I'm not sure if I will need a Q-Loader that badly since I don't paintball every weekend. I'm thinking I may just upgrade to an electric hopper like many others have suggested.

sneekypete
08-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I would definatly do some research about the Q-loader. You might find that you are happy with what you have. I play with lots of guys who just use a gravity fed hopper and these guys play every week. It all about what YOU want.

Zee
08-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah he's right...its all about your style of play.