PDA

View Full Version : My new whip........

Muddytaco
07-31-2008, 07:26 PM
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/muddytaco3/05590fdb.jpg

Rolling on 29's :D

Been riding alot to get back into shape (10-20 miles a day) and I knew a needed a new bike but didn't really want to spend money for one, well until I rode 4 miles from my truck 2 days ago and then got a flat front tire with no spare tube.:mad: That was a nice hour long walk of shame back to my truck, almost through my bike in the bayou on the way back.

After looking at countless forums I narrowed it down to a few choices in the regular 26" tire, went to look at bikes at local store and they just happened to have a 29" with the right size frame for me so I was like what the hell and took it for a spin just to give it a try. I was blown away at the difference it had over the same bike in the 26" size.....so much smoother, easier to hop over the curb, etc. Suppost to be really nice on trail rides, which I will be putting it to the test at all day tomorrow :P

I wanted it but was going to wait until my dirtbike sold but there was a guy that got there about 5 min after i did that wanted the same bike and it was the last 08 29er they would be getting with a one-two month wait to get the 09 that is basicly the exact same.....so naturally I had to get it.

Wasn't to hot on the color when I first saw it but then after looking at it closer I saw the whole bomber style theme it had going on and the bright orange kind of grew on me.......if it gets annoying I will just airbrush it lol.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/muddytaco3/036dd1ff.jpg

Dart 3 works pretty good and disk brakes kick v-brakes ass!!!!:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/muddytaco3/36b4c72d.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/muddytaco3/9cdb88b2.jpg

Also got the Specialized speedzone sport wireless computer for it, tells me:
- speed
- max. speed
- avg. speed
- odometer
- trip meter
- speed comparator
- auto timer
Already tested it and it works really good, it read 1 mile on the money when I got to the marking on the trail:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/muddytaco3/479718a9.jpg

Hidden pin up style bomber girl on the downtube:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/muddytaco3/61aa9e6e.jpg

I have only rode it about 4 miles today both on and off rode and I don't think I will ever go back to a 26" wheel. I will really be testing the off road performance tomorrow on some of the harder trails in houston, I will repost back with results.

And first mod already completed after pics.....took off all the reflectors, just encase anybody was going to say something :)

Full specs for those who care/wanting to know:
-M4 manipulated alloy frame, butted ORE DT, 2 piece forged adjustable dropouts, disc only
-RockShox Dart 3 SL, for 29" wheel, 80mm, 28.6mm Cr-Mo stanchions and alloy steerer, magnesium lower, coil spring, reb. adj. w/ Lockout and preload adj.
-Specialized 3D forged alloy Stem, four bolt, 31.8mm, 7 degree rise
-Specialized alloy 31.8mm XC rise handlebars, 640mm wide, 8 degree back, 8 degree up sweep
-Specialized Enduro, dual density Kraton grips
-front brake- Avid BB-5, mechanical disc, 6" G2 Clean Sweep rotor
-Rear brake- Avid BB-5, mechanical disc, 6" G2 Clean Sweep rotor
-Avid FR-5 Brake Levers
-Shimano Altus FD-M310-6, top swing, 34.9mm clamp front derailleur
-Shimano Alivio RD-M410 rear derailleur
-Shimano Acera SL-MC40 shift levers
-SRAM PG-830, 8-speed, 11-32t cassettee
-KMC X8, 1/2" x 3/32" w/ reusable Missing Link cahin
-Shimano FC-M341-8, replaceable rings, Octalink Spline crankset
-Steel cage, composite body, 9/16" pedels
-Rims- Specialized/Alex RHD 29, double wall, for disc brakes
-Specialized Hi Lo disc, 28h, CNC flange and disc mount, polished races, alloy QR front hub
-Specialized Hi Lo disc, cassette, 32h, CNC flanges and disc mount, polished races, alloy QR rear hub
-1.8mm (15g) stainless, alloy nipples spokes
-Tires-Specialized Fast Trak Sport, 29x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
-saddle- Specialized XC, kevlar sides, front and rear bumpers, 143mm width
-Seat post- pecialized alloy, two bolt micro adjust head, 30.9mm

Hossy
07-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Looks good taco!
I like the color alot, I dont see how you didnt get hooked on it right away :)

SpyderMan723
07-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Haro Bikes FTW!

Nice bike tho :waytogo:

Muddytaco
07-31-2008, 07:33 PM
Looks good taco!
I like the color alot, I dont see how you didnt get hooked on it right away :)

I am more into neutral colors, the 26" version had this really nice looking dark slate grey which got my attention right away, probably why I didn't like the orange at first but the more I look it the more I like it.

Haro Bikes FTW!

eeewww I don't like haro, my firend that rode BMX went through haro frames like candy. They cracked to easy.

SpyderMan723
07-31-2008, 07:36 PM
eeewww I don't like haro, my firend that rode BMX went through haro frames like candy. They cracked to easy.

lol mines an 03 and it doesnt have any major damage.. other than a few scratches on the fork and a few on the frame.

The Pumper
07-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Thats pretty sick.

Drefish99
07-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Thats a nice bike. I've been looking for a new one myself.

Critical
08-01-2008, 03:07 AM
I like the look, but from your last pic (the one with the pinup) they obviously didn't spend a lot of time trying to line up the rivet pattern. Time to take the stickers off and dust off the airbrush.

TheDarkShadow
08-01-2008, 04:15 AM
nice bike, I like the orange

but I really like the sweet reflectors on there :dodgy:

vikingshadow
08-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Awesome! I've really started debating riding more. The problem is that I don't ride enough to get a good workout. But, I thought it might be good to ride to school and such. Second problem is that I usually take my youngest to school, and she's a 7th grader this year, so the "image" thing comes in to play (for her, not me. I don't care about image, obviously!)

Wish there were a really good bike store around here. How much did you pay, if you don't mind my asking?

Also, I wonder if there is a difference between buying one completely set up, or building it from scratch? Both physically and financially?

Ace24
08-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Now all you need to do is swipe the A-bomb off of Dan and it'd match perfectly!

Very nice bike. I was going to pick up a Stumpjumper back in '06 that had the same specs as the bike you just picked up. Curious as to how much the frame weighs. The Stumpjumper was the lightest hard tail I could find and amazed me with agility.

10 - 20 miles? I'd still want more! Hahaha. Back when I first got my new (now 2 years old) softail, I rode 42 miles. I couldn't walk afterwards, but it was the most fun I'd had in a while. I usually ride the back hills around here since there are some sweet, steep footpaths down and around it.

Haro Bikes FTW!

Harro is garbage. I rode BMX for 2 years (back before my knee blew out and I had my accident on my BMX) and can't tell you how many thrown out Harro frames you see. Maybe it was the heavier kids riding them, but every time one would land wrong, or take a beating from a bail, it would get ****ed up.

Old school GT frames FTW. I still have mine from the 70's (Yeah... an old freestyle frame from the 70's! Was purple too... was worth a lot of money before I realized that by painting it, it lost value... :cry:)

Maxx-Damage
08-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Nice pick up. From what i understand the 29'er is smoother cause the tire almost acts like suspension.

Anything you got planned for it? We know you and modding....

Haro mtbs WERE descent. Now they've gone to crap, 04-06 were the best years.
Giant FTW!

bamf-hacker
08-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Nice... Ride to VA on it now :)

Muddytaco
08-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I like the look, but from your last pic (the one with the pinup) they obviously didn't spend a lot of time trying to line up the rivet pattern. Time to take the stickers off and dust off the airbrush.

Stickers have clear coat over them:( I'll wait till the paint get beat up before i strip it down.

Awesome! I've really started debating riding more. The problem is that I don't ride enough to get a good workout. But, I thought it might be good to ride to school and such. Second problem is that I usually take my youngest to school, and she's a 7th grader this year, so the "image" thing comes in to play (for her, not me. I don't care about image, obviously!)

Wish there were a really good bike store around here. How much did you pay, if you don't mind my asking?

Also, I wonder if there is a difference between buying one completely set up, or building it from scratch? Both physically and financially?

Paid $750, its one of the cheaper 29" bikes currently on the market as far as cost. After reading countless forums I found rockhoppers were one of the cheapest bikes I could find that still had nice components and they have really strong frames that will last.

I tried to add up parts to build one from scratch every way I could think of and even going with used parts proved to much more then you would pay for a new bike, not including the time it would take to find a good deal on a frame that was actually worth buying. Even with cheap parts and good deals the total went over 1K, buying new also got me support through local store. They tuned the bike after I bought it (adjust derailleurs, adjust disc brakes, trued the wheels, etc.) I could of done most of the that easily but trueing the wheels sucks and is hard to get right. I also got free service for so many years on the bike, only have to pay the cost of parts.

10 - 20 miles? I'd still want more! Hahaha. Back when I first got my new (now 2 years old) softail, I rode 42 miles. I couldn't walk afterwards, but it was the most fun I'd had in a while. I usually ride the back hills around here since there are some sweet, steep footpaths down and around it.

I am out of shape, 20 is about my max right now (off road trails, could go longer on the road) but I am working my way up:p

Nice pick up. From what i understand the 29'er is smoother cause the tire almost acts like suspension.

Anything you got planned for it? We know you and modding....

Haro mtbs WERE descent. Now they've gone to crap, 04-06 were the best years.
Giant FTW!

I am sure I will swap something out but for now I just need to ride it to see what I like and don't like.

Going out to 25 mile off road trail right now, might as well break it in hard:D

DFSniper
08-01-2008, 12:33 PM
very nice shade of orange!

Muddytaco
08-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Back from the trail ride, the sun kicked my ass, only made it half way through before i was spent, to damn hot.

Bike worked great though, ran over big roots with no problem and rolled over logs I use to get caught up on with the 26" tires. Only thing I would consider changing at the moment would be the grips, after my hands got alittle sweaty it was hard to hold on, other then that everything worked great.

I raced the park ranger in his kawasaki mule and beat him lol, he topped out at 25 mph so I must of went over that, I didn't have the computer turned on yet as it was right when i got there so idk what i got up to.

My friend is retarded and formatted my camera in the car on accident so I lost all my pics.

DFSniper
08-01-2008, 03:45 PM
wear gloves? get some nice comfy ones.

timmyshoota
08-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Gears are dumb. Fixed gear bikes for life son.

Hoppy11
08-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Very nice bike taco. I like the orange but idk if id like to have it because i don't always like to be flashy and you know people see that bike at the trail head and are like look at this hot shot, well probably something more inappropriate lol. But it does have a nice color to it.

I still ride the same Trek 4500 I bought back in like 03 i think. Still rides great and I beat it up. Id like a new one but just isn't in my budget. Im sure 29" tires are awesome.

vikingshadow
08-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Haha, I have a Roadmaster that I bought back in the early 90's, like '92, I believe.

I went for a long ride this morning (no trails) and I actually feel like I got a workout. Probably only about 15 miles or so, but more than enough to make me tired. I didn't realize that the entire town actually slopes up towards my part of town!

Oscum Guy
08-02-2008, 03:02 PM
**** thats a niice gat! i mean whip! i mean shades! i mean bike!

haha i love the brakes!

TheDarkShadow
08-02-2008, 04:34 PM
yeah I have a mongoose it's pretty badass :dodgy:

timmyshoota
08-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Haha, I have a Roadmaster that I bought back in the early 90's, like '92, I believe.

I went for a long ride this morning (no trails) and I actually feel like I got a workout. Probably only about 15 miles or so, but more than enough to make me tired. I didn't realize that the entire town actually slopes up towards my part of town!

Do it on a fixed gear bike and it'll open your eyes. There is no such thing as coasting. You pedal pedal pedal the entire time you are riding. So much of a workout.

ThePinkBarron
08-03-2008, 09:41 AM
yeah I have a mongoose it's pretty badass :dodgy:

I ride a Mongoose Teocali elite, its an 07 not sure if they made one this year, everything about the bike is awesome. Mongoose makes great bikes if you don't go to Wal-Mart to buy them.

I like the Specialized bikes a lot though, Matt and Shanna both have one. I'm not such a fan of hard tails though, I have always liked the feel of a soft tail a good bit more. Nice bike, I am a little too small for 29's but I bet it makes a big difference.

vikingshadow
08-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Do it on a fixed gear bike and it'll open your eyes. There is no such thing as coasting. You pedal pedal pedal the entire time you are riding. So much of a workout.

Actually my gears are broken, so it was a fixed gear workout. I did pedal the whole way, and man was I tired. I did it again today, though. And ran 4 miles last night! Whoooo!

Actually, I was wrong - it's not a roadmaster bike. It's a Rock Creek bike, or something like that. But I've decided I need a new one - with shocks. My butt is sore!

Hoppy11
08-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Vike your butt will still be sore unless you get a soft tail.

vikingshadow
08-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Ah, I figure I'll get used to it. But it'd be nice to have something a bit newer and lighter - wih the shocks I mentioned. Also, I'm really liking those disc brakes!

Welp, I've started the hunt, now. Who knows what I will find?