PDA

View Full Version : My Kar98k bayonet

interceptorMR2
07-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Hehehe, irish i got it today :D.

Here's my bayonet i just ordered, it was ordered cheaply at about 125 bucks just because some idiot thought it would be a good idea to sharpen an AUTHENTIC GERMAN BAYONET on a grinder....:mad: anyways, Ill fix that with a wetstone, but its dated back at 1939, saw some WWII service, and is marked on the blade 5973 a, just to prove its authentic.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd137/interceptormr2/DSCN2248.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd137/interceptormr2/DSCN2249.jpg

especiialypsycho
07-28-2008, 08:53 AM
That is one nice bayonet. Good find.

The Pumper
07-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Thats a classic! :D

interceptorMR2
07-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Im so happy I got it, my "project" im working on i guess you could say its a Kar98k rifleman set project. I plan on getting a kar98k (russian capture, so its only about 500 dollars and its authentic, I even checked with the store owner :D) a kar98k rifle strap, and the leather "frog" holster for the bayonet. Im gonna put it all in one display case, the bayonet fixed on the rifle, the frog fixed on the rifle strap.

The Pumper
07-28-2008, 09:19 AM
on COD2, the kar98 was my favorite heh.
So when youre done, you definitely got to have pictures up.

Maybe even during the process..:D

interceptorMR2
07-28-2008, 09:25 AM
oh dont worry I will, btw that was my favorite too. its so GD powerful, i love it in cod2 and cod3. Im hoping to find the ZF41 kar98k scope for it too, but thats a little hard to find these days.

LostCause
07-28-2008, 09:34 AM
such a waste of a good rifle.....u should actually go hunting with it! Probaly the BEST bolt action rifle and you want to put it on display :( heck my Civil war Rifle (yes rifle...not musket), saw action in the Civil war, then was used every hunting season sinceintill i got it (not much time...and black powder is a mess haha)

interceptorMR2
07-28-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm sorry but i dont hunt and Im a collector, I want it to stay in its condition or make it better, I prefer not to use it. When I get my rifle Ill be putting it on display. I know its great, but I want to either keep it in its conditon and not use it, or restore it to better condition. I would like to go hunting, but I would never take something as significant as a Kar98k (significant to me and history at least...). IMO using it is wasting it just because the condition will eventually go down from use. Thats just my opinion, im not bashing you or anything but Im a collector, I like things to be in good condition. It would be fun to use it for hunting though :D Eventually I would like to get a reproduction of the Kar98k, so its the same just newer and use it for firing and possibly hunting.

interceptorMR2
07-28-2008, 09:47 AM
oh btw do you have photos of your rifle? i would really like to see it, thats really somethin you have there :D

irishwarrior
07-28-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm so jealous of you right now interceptor...:)

Good find, especially with the rifle. And I agree with LostCause, you shouldn't just display it somewhere, USE IT! Like with cars if you just display them in your garage too long they cease to function, it was meant to be shot!

interceptorMR2
07-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Sorry guys but I would never use an authentic rifle. NEVER EVER EVER FOR EVER NEVER INFINITY lol. like i said, ill get a repro and use it, but my policy is if its authentic, display it or keep it in good condition at least. That thing is a piece of history, and I dont want to ruin it. IMO thats like saying that my knife was made to chop things up and I should use it in my kitchen to chop up vegetables or something (lol, i didnt want anything gory to go up). Thats just the way I see it, sorry if thats not how you feel but Im a collector. My luger is a reproduction and I plan on eventually enabling it so it can fire (barrel is plugged, safety is locked, etc all that)

irishwarrior
07-28-2008, 09:56 AM
You responded to LostCause while I was typing my post, so I didn't see your response :o

Since you're very adamant about displaying it, I would put it in a temp.- and moisture-controlled room. Humidity and excessive temperature change would destroy it, from the wood swelling and the metal cracking/deforming.

interceptorMR2
07-28-2008, 10:03 AM
yeah thats what I was thinking too. Id have to spend i bit more money haha but it will be worth it. Memorabilia collecting is expensive in the first place, so there wont be much of a difference in the money spent.

Irish you need to get something, i dont care if you fire it and what not, but you need to catch up!!! Cmon man, I dont wanna be alone :(

irishwarrior
07-28-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm not even old enough to drive and my parents are kinda gunaphobic. They think having 2 paintball guns is excessive. Though, at heart I'm a gun-whore. If I had a wish it would be to have at least one of every firearm just to shoot when I feel like it.

interceptorMR2
07-28-2008, 10:19 AM
* DONT WORRY ABOUT THIS, ITS JUST A JOKE AND IM NOT ACTUALLY GOING TO USE THIS DURING A GAME OR ANYTHING!!!!*

Just like I said I would in the happy therapy thread. Zip ties do wonders.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd137/interceptormr2/102_2371.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd137/interceptormr2/102_2372.jpg

irishwarrior
07-28-2008, 10:23 AM
That looks amazing!

You know, people really do use knives in scenario games *hint* *hint*

interceptorMR2
07-28-2008, 10:30 AM
hehehe yay, yeah people like me!

irishwarrior
07-28-2008, 10:37 AM
I picked up a copy of Recon magazine and this dude "Weltman" is HARDCORE! He went around at this one night game only using a knife and getting knife "kills".

interceptorMR2
07-28-2008, 10:48 AM
whoa. i should try that. nightgame+ghillie suit+ knife= amazing hide and go seek game.

LostCause
07-28-2008, 11:01 AM
haha, man my rifle is in the same shape it was prolly hundred years ago...that puppy is babied wheneveer it is used....Authentic to me means, more history, so im going to honor that history and show it off whenerver i can :D

Though since your not moot point, deff would need to keep it from warping the wood, or corroading the barrel to much. Though you should take it out and work the bolt action everyonce in a while.....

irishwarrior
07-28-2008, 11:03 AM
^that and keep it rust free. Just remember that they used more natural metals/alloys so certain substances that are commonly used nowadays can be potentially harmful.

slim and shady
07-28-2008, 11:03 AM
I picked up a copy of Recon magazine and this dude "Weltman" is HARDCORE! He went around at this one night game only using a knife and getting knife "kills".

Only you forgot to mention they use special "dummy" knifes not bayonetts! LOL Basicaly the same as a barrel tag.

interceptorMR2
07-28-2008, 01:12 PM
LOL guys chill i dont even have the gun yet, im going to buy it sometime in the next two or so months.

interceptorMR2
08-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Just got some medals and other memorabilia from a family friend today :) Don't worry, I blurred out anything that may offend.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd137/interceptormr2/1.jpg

Allright so in this next picture I have from left to right, zig zagging from bottom to top, is my US Navy hat insignia badge, silver tank assault badge, US navy marksmanship badge, Hindenburg Cross, Silver Wound Badge, Civilian Faithful Service Medal, Soviet Russia Lenin pin, Iron Cross 2nd Class, and last, modern germany tank beret badges and shoulderboards.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd137/interceptormr2/2.jpg

Here's a picture of my Afrika Korps armband and patch.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd137/interceptormr2/3.jpg

When it comes to authenticity, the Hindenburg cross and the civilian faithful service badge are the only two authentic war items. The rest of the world war items are repros, but are still awesome to have. The modern tank beret items are from our friend's cousin. He served in the German army sometime in the early 1990s. The Russian pin was something our friend picked up when he travelled to Berlin.

LostCause
08-19-2008, 01:01 PM
im guessing the blurred parts are either eagle holding Swastika or a swastika...which, because of modeness...is shown as bad....misunderstood for what it reall means...stupid Hitler...

also nice collection!!!

TheDarkShadow
08-19-2008, 02:39 PM
cool memorabilia

interceptorMR2
08-19-2008, 03:04 PM
yeah they are swastikas, hitler turned it backwards though, the real swastika goes the opposite direction and I think means the correct flow of the universe. Thanks guys!

Modded-Like-Hell
08-19-2008, 03:05 PM
thats sweet collection... swastika was suppost to mean good luck, but is portraid as evil sign due to genocide.

interceptorMR2
08-19-2008, 05:22 PM
yea i knew it was somethin like that, it was used in buddhism or hinduism wasn't it?

irishwarrior
08-19-2008, 05:28 PM
and earlier I think.

LostCause
08-19-2008, 05:48 PM
buddhist...is where i got it from...though who knows lol

Modded-Like-Hell
08-20-2008, 06:08 AM
i think its even earlier that like egyptian times

interceptorMR2
08-20-2008, 10:43 PM
okay I got bored enough to look it up and apparently it started in neolithic india.

interceptorMR2
08-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Allright I'm stuck when It comes to buying a Kar98k. I've done some research and found a site with a chart of all of the years, companies, makes, etc, of the kar98k, and the basic rule is that the closer the rifle was made to the end of the war, the the more expensive it is due to factories making less of that year's make. So basically, the closer to the end of the war, the rarer. Like I said a while back, I found a great site with Russian captures of AUTHENTIC german rifles, they have their markings from their companies and such, and the most expensive rifle I would consider buying is around $500. I'm trying to decide whether I really care about the year or not though, what do you guys think I should do? Should I go for a 1940 98k around $300 ish or should I go for the $500 1945 make? The 1945 make has more made than the 1940, but since its closer to the end of the war, its much more valuable. Any suggestions? I'm not so sure I necessarily care about the exact year, I just want the rifle to be made close to or during war time.

irishwarrior
08-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I'd go for the 1945 one, personally.

interceptorMR2
08-22-2008, 08:35 AM
yeah i think so too, it would probably make a nice conversation peice too lol, i mean its a rare make compared to the 42, so It would definetly be a good choice. I gots to save my pennies :dodgy: