PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades for my ion

especiialypsycho
07-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Well i found somethings that i would like to put on my ion and here they are

http://cgi.ebay.com/ION-TRIGGER-ION-ROLLER-BEARING-TRIGGER-SMART-PARTS-IO_W0QQitemZ110190200696QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10554QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638 Q2em118Q2el1247

http://cgi.ebay.com/ION-Paintball-B-Red-Low-Profile-Clamping-Feed-Neck_W0QQitemZ220241371277QQihZ012QQcategoryZ71157 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp16 38Q2em118Q2el1247

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paintball-Brand-New-Hybrid-ASA-On-Off-Red-Push-Button_W0QQitemZ260265802281QQihZ016QQcategoryZ472 37QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are these good? My ion is completely stock, oh and if anyone wants to sell me any of thes, or similar things for cheap shoot me a PM.

Thanks in advance,
Aj

DFSniper
07-25-2008, 04:31 PM
trigger looks ok. feedneck looks like a clone of the newdesignz feedneck, and hybrid ASAs are supposed to be pretty nice.

bigred76
07-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Get a QEV. Stat. It's the number one REQUIRED upgrade for an Ion besides a new barrel.

The Pumper
07-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Tim..are you a doctor now?!?! :p

I'd say the feedneck is probably a good investment.
QEV, feedneck and barrel.
Everything else is optional.

druid
07-28-2008, 02:28 PM
head on over to ionowners and look at some of the markers there...some are pretty sick.

Upgrading is dependent on what you want it to do...look good? Total functionality? Efficiency? Some upgrades accomplish little and others serve a multipurpose.

Barrel - Like any other non-high end marker of course, it needs one
Board - allows you to fine tune settings to get max speed and better efficiency
QEV - allows the venting of excess air instead of backtracking through the noid, allowing a faster cycle rate. Also acts as a grease trap
Bolt - lighter, higher flowing and faster means better efficiency and faster cycle rates
trigger - mostly aesthetics but if aluminum, it won't snap in the middle if you mistakenly grip it too tight when running from bunker to bunker
BOB Body - aesthetics but also less tear-down time to grease the bolt.
frame - aesthetics but some are lighter than a stock frame
feedneck - anything shorter and clamping is a plus over a stock neck. Aesthetics, shorter profile (not by much though) and an easier ability to remove the hopper
reg - the stock regis a good one once it's broken in but tearing it down to clean/service is more labor intensive than others and it's ugly. I love my CP and would only ever replace it with a 2 Litre +
ASA - anything that vents is a plus over stock. I love my DP RAPS asa, a venting lever-lock
eyes - mostly aesthetics as they all do the same thing regardless of colored/non-colored laser/non-laser
Grease - here's where you DON'T want to go cheap...Dow 33 (Sl33k Lube, Shocker Lube) is not cheap and should NOT be substituted for something else. I use H8terSauce exclusively and love it.

One thing I wold suggest is extending the battery wires so you don't inadvertently pull them off the board. Just snip them in the middle and add like 4" where you cut them, soldering and shrink-tubing the joins to make them rigid.

florios
07-29-2008, 12:15 AM
sell the ion and go get a used timmy best thing i have evver done for myself

druid
07-29-2008, 12:26 AM
pfffft.
This area has always been an Autococker/Intimidator area...huge following for both as a matter of fact.

All the Timmies I've ever used were poop right from the box. The only ones that worked were re-worked by users/builders and even they didn't last a full day without going down for one reason or another.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a modestly upped Ion...or even close to stock Ion. Every one I've ever picked up (my 4, 2 of them stock), the 3 I acquired for friends, stock or upgraded and kids at the field...not a crappy one in the bunch. Now I DID have to tune a few of them but big whoop...board settings because they all were given after market boards that were improperly set.

florios
07-29-2008, 12:32 AM
pfffft.
This area has always been an Autococker/Intimidator area...huge following for both as a matter of fact.

All the Timmies I've ever used were poop right from the box. The only ones that worked were re-worked by users/builders and even they didn't last a full day without going down for one reason or another.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a modestly upped Ion...or even close to stock Ion. Every one I've ever picked up (my 4, 2 of them stock), the 3 I acquired for friends, stock or upgraded and kids at the field...not a crappy one in the bunch. Now I DID have to tune a few of them but big whoop...board settings because they all were given after market boards that were improperly set.

you have got to be kidding me my gun works flawlesly all day never had a problem with it ever and i happen to think a good gun like an alias est are better then an ion with 500 dollars of upgrades

druid
07-29-2008, 12:49 AM
That may be in your case but as I said, I've got enough time playing with them to know that I'll never own one.

We'll have to agree that we each feel the same way about each-other's Timmies and Ions.

spyderpaintball
07-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Can I come in and agree with both?

I shot a Timmy for a couple of years flawlessly, but I also have been around people playing with Ions for years and they work well too.

In this case Druid your assessment of the upgrades is correct. I would put them then in this order of priority:

QEV
Feedneck
ASA
Barrel
Board
Bolt
Anything for looks

bamf-hacker
07-29-2008, 06:21 AM
lets see I own both. 2 Ions and 4 Timmys and love them both for different reasons.

But back on topic please, this is not a Timmy vs. Ion thread.

spyderfan4271
07-29-2008, 01:27 PM
A q lock feedneck and
freak barrel would be first on my list.

qev
he bolt and
cp regulator when you get the funds.

asa
board
body
grips
trigger by the time you get this far you could have bought a shocker!

druid
07-29-2008, 03:29 PM
............trigger by the time you get this far you could have bought a shocker!

True...but this Ion would be more efficient than even the latest Shocker, lighter and not stock either :D

bigred76
07-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Druid... some of us don't need more than a case from a 68/45... :rolleyes:

druid
07-30-2008, 12:05 PM
True Tim but some of us do. Never seen a scuba shop in the middle of the woods :D

bigred76
07-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Never need one with my Borg... right out of the box. ;)

druid
07-30-2008, 02:16 PM
We're not talking about your Borg...we're talking about HIS Ion ;)