PDA

View Full Version : So why would I be doing this?

vikingshadow
07-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Today, I took out the rail and practiced some snap shooting (a full bag with both hands) cleaned it, lubed it and put in a new battery. Then I changed the batteries in my loader and cleaned it up really well. After that, I waxed everything and Scotch Guarded my pants and jersey....

Then I laid out my shoes, socks, elbow pads, knee pads, pack, pods, masks, gloves, headwraps, sandanas, air tanks, the Shocker, the Rail, the Spimmy and checked my tool box and verified I had all the tools I might need, q tips, lube, rags, etc. Then I shoved all of it, minus the tool box, in my bag and closed it up.

Any ideas why I would do such a thing?

Yup, after more than 2 years, I'm playing in a tournament!

For those of you who don't know, I played a lot of tournament ball for several years - but then I just totally burned out on the attitude of the kids and the whole "scene", plus it became like a job and just wasn't fun anymore, so I quit paintball all together. But, like a true addict, after a little more than a year I got back into it by playing strictly rec (pump, usually.)

Then, after a few months of that, I was asked to rejoin the team (that fell apart after playing one tournament after I quit). I said I would, under the stipulation that I wouldn't be in charge and that it'd be more relaxed and fun. Thus, Picasso Trigger was born.

However, we had a hard time finding a tournament that we could play in. For some reason, Oklahoma just can't support a 5 man Novice level tournament - there are a lot of beginner tournaments, but nothing for someone with our experience. Our only options were to go out of state to play in open tournaments, or play in 3-man. We actually don't like 3-man because usually that's all we could do at our own field...and we wanted more.

Well, this April our field shut down. What's more, we didn't really practice that whole month because we knew about it - and were a little disappointed in the whole thing. In fact, until yesterday when I picked up the Rail and went out back to snap shoot (did a full back with both hands as well) I hadn't picked up a gun in 4 months!

Then, about 2 weeks ago, Louie - our former field operator and captain of the last team I was on (and co-captain with me on Catalyst) and who's been on every team I was on for the past 5 years - called me up and asked if I'd be interested in playing a 3-man series. We've already missed the first two tourneys in the series, but if we play this one and the next one, we qualify to be in the finals and possibly get in the prizes. He told me that he had two of our other teammates on board, but they needed me to make it work.

So, this Sunday, in 104* weather in a hole surrounded by trees with no wind, I'm playing in my first tournment since January of 2006.

Wish me luck!

DFSniper
07-25-2008, 02:06 PM
first! congrats and good luck vike!

as soon as i got to the paragraph right before the gap, i got a HUGE grin on my face. glad one of us is going to ball sometime soon! :D

vikingshadow
07-25-2008, 02:17 PM
I know - it feels good to be packing things up and getting ready to go again!

It was touch and go on the tourney for awhile, though. I checked yesterday, and only 1 team had signed up for the novice level as of about 9:00 last night (and that was us!) But I got a call at noon today saying there are 9 teams (so far) signed up for the novice level. The cut-off period is tonight, so we'll see how many teams we'll get.

Usually, there's twice as many teams signed up for the beginning level as there are in the novice level, and they play both levels on the same days (mixing the levels up). So, it looks like it's going to be a long day, but hopefully a good one.

I'll try to get some video, and we'll see what happens. Just want to say that we're only going going for the fun of it - not to win or anything (maybe I'm just trying to convince myself!) Especially since we haven't practiced any, so if we laugh and have a good time, I'll be happy. But I'm not saying the competitive part in me isn't struggling right now - it'd be cool to come away with another trophy after so long.

bigred76
07-25-2008, 02:59 PM
W00t, Go Vike! Win that tourney! You still got it in you, old man, I know you do!!! :D

vikingshadow
07-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Hmmm, I'll wonder if they'll let me take the walker out there? Or maybe set the rocking chair up behind a dorito somewhere....

:p

It's not the PSP event we were looking forward to last month, but it's playing and that's what I want to do. However, I wish my wife would just stop "planning" all these things she wants to do while we're in the city...

LostCause
07-25-2008, 04:24 PM
GOOD LUCK MAN! Glad to see your getting back into, now show the youngins how to play ;) and it could be worse....could be a 110* :D

Good luck! and tell us how you do!

fatkidfrompbaz
07-25-2008, 07:11 PM
good luck and drink a lot of water:)

TheDarkShadow
07-25-2008, 07:17 PM
good luck, sounds fun

The Pumper
07-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Good luck Vike. I havent played in a tourny since around March of 06. Wish there was a pump only tourny around here..even though I'm 3 hrs from Buffalo [Damn you Ace :p]

Kick some Oklahoma butt!

battlechaser
07-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Now If I could just find a team!

Looks like you're definitely set to have some fun. Just don't shoot the ref this time. (J/K) :p

silentchaos45
07-25-2008, 11:31 PM
wow good luck.... if only i could play a game ahhh i need it bad its like crack... i shot my spyder imagine the other day and almost cried because i missed that sound and feeling so much... someone come play with me!!!! sigh....

bamf-hacker
07-27-2008, 04:25 AM
Good Luck Buddy...

Let us know how you do.

HelpDeskHustler
07-27-2008, 08:14 AM
drink water. own kids half your age. have fun.

did I cover it all?

shark
07-27-2008, 08:44 AM
I actually had a similar situation to Vike, i got fed up with the attitudes and "quit" but then three days before a tournament was asked to go play. So for the first time since around may our team went and played in a tourney on saturday

phatphil
07-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Great to hear Vike.

Can't wait to see how you did. :up:

vikingshadow
07-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Well, I got back around 8:00 this evening, so after I took a LONG hot shower and soaked for awhile, I finally decided to come let you know how we did.

First of all, it was HOTT! With a double "t" and all...105* according to the news, with a heat index of 107*. Not a lick of a breeze until around 11:00 or so, then only in the center of the field. Even though the sidelines were in shade, it was so hot and humid, it was really miserable. I made a comment at one time there wasn't a dry place on my body, and my kids started poking me on the arms, hands, nose - everywhere that was appropriate and where I'd let them - and I was right - they couldn't find a single dry place, haha! I think it would have been better had we actually been practicing throughout the summer to get acclimated to playing in the weather, but I'm sure none of you came here to read a weather report!

(BTW - I did drink a ton of water! :) )

Ok, to give you some background, this is a series called the "Master's Series" - 5 tournaments (I think) culminating in a Series championship in September. This was the fourth tournament of the series, and you have to have played in two tournaments to qualify for the championhip, which was why we were playing today.

There were two divisions, and the top two teams in the Novice level (our level) and the top 3 teams in the Rookie level were going on to the finals. It was single flag CTF, 10 points per person shot out, 20 for flag pull, and 50 for flag hang. We had to play some Rookie teams, but I'm here to say that some of those "rookie" teams weren't "rookie" teams, haha! In fact, there were a couple of "rookie" teams that had more points than some of the novice teams - and pretty much rolled everyone they played. I'm going to stop short of saying "Sandbagging," though. I don't know the complete story on them, and that's how rumors get started...

OK, we took 2nd in our division (missed first by only 20 points) which meant we had a spot in the finals. The funny thing is that we actually rolled the team that won our division. (Warning! Bragging time! :p I shot all three of them myself without having a single shot fired at me, haha!)

I do have to say that despite having not played in a tournament in over 3 years, and not having even practiced since like March, I felt pretty good and had a great tournament - I shot a LOT of people out, most in gun battles, and was able to move quite a bit. I actually loved the field set up - not too many bunkers, but a giant block in the center so it was hard to shoot the middle off the break. But, it was like they consulted with me when setting up the field because on my side of the field there was a lay down rolley, then about 15 feet from there was a small taco, and another 10 feet or so in front of that on the 50 tape was a dorito - all three my favorite bunkers to play. So I was comfortable in them all day long. In fact, I usually made my bunkers just fine and pretty much lived in the taco all day!

Now, obviously, I didn't do it all by myself - my teammates did really well also. I don't have THAT big of a head. :p Well, maybe I do because I took like 12 shots to the dome all day today... Our captain, Louie, hadn't practiced since March when we had the Storm clinic, and hadn't played in a tournament in a year and a half, and Skinny had only played in two tourneys prior, and is pretty inexperienced. They did pretty good as well. We made a few mistakes - dropped some games we shouldn't have, for sure. But overall, we didn't do too bad!

This was the longest tournament I've played in - we had 9 prelim games (which meant all the other teams had 9 as well) including the other division and were were all mixed in together though we only played teams in our division. They started at 8:30 and we finished the prelims around 2:45. The finals had each team playing 3 games each in the novice level, and 5 games each for the rookie division - we finished all the games around 4:30 or 5:00, I think. I don't know for sure because I was just dang tired!

Oh, I suppose I should tell you how we did - we got 3rd in the finals!

Recap of finals - We only won one game in the finals, and time ran out on me when I was a foot away from the flag in that one. I was literally reaching for it when they blew the whistle and called time - I was so disgusted, haha! It was against the same team that won our division, but I figured if we could beat them we'd have 3rd place for sure. I was fighting it out with one player in their back left can and one in their right side rolley. I was in our dorito on the 50 and saw the rolley guy bump up to the taco. I posted on him and blasted him when he peeked out. Then I got into it with their back guy. Louie was in our back left can and moving up - and their player was totally focused on me. I managed to slip a shot in on him, and ran for the flag but it was too late. 3 minutes goes pretty fast when you're having fun!

We definitely had a shot at second place, though. We had the team that got second place down two to one (I got shot out because I wasn't told my mirror had bumped to the dorito that was 10 feet away - when I leaned out to check that side - POW! I have a nice swollen lip from that one...) They ended up with one player left in the dorito, and our inexperienced guy sort of froze, blocking Louie from moving properly and getting a good shot. Soooo, Louie made a big move and got shot, and then Skinny found his courage and made a crazy move across the field (in the wrong direction) and got shot out. Man, that was a heartbreaker for us. Had I been told about the player moving, I could have probably stuck him while the other two occupied him and we could have walked out with 2nd place.

All in all, I have no complaints. The tourney was fun, I had a great time! Like I told my teammates, we should be extremely happy with what we got - especially considering the level of play we saw today and our lack of practice and playing time. I'm very pleased!

Now, for the fun stuff! My daughters shot these pics with a Kodak Easy Share CD33, so I'm a bit impressed with how clear they are - mostly they were taken from a crow's nest and I was across the field. Before you ask, we played EVERY game on the same end of the field all day today. That's why we're only facing in one direction...

Whups! Getting shot at while loading isn't fun - or easy, haha!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Master%20Series%204/MastersSeries009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Master%20Series%204/MastersSeries011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Master%20Series%204/MastersSeriesBryce1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Master%20Series%204/MastersSeries033.jpg

See, I actually do shoot out the left side of my bunker using my left hand!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Master%20Series%204/MastersSeries018.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Master%20Series%204/MastersSeries006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Master%20Series%204/MastersSeries037.jpg

I'm sure there will be more pics later from the field that hosted the event. Anyway, I had a blast and although I'm worn out it was well worth it!

vikingshadow
07-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Here's a picture of my fat body - yes, it's shorts, sweaty sleaveless tshirt and flip flops. Oh, and my Soft Ears Sandana (thanks Phil!) because I forgot to take a hat.

I hate pictures like this because it reminds me just how much work I have to do to lose 30 pounds....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Master%20Series%204/MastersSeries040.jpg

I hate photobucket when it does this!

DFSniper
07-27-2008, 08:42 PM
congrats vike! its just like riding a bike.

oh, and as to your link problems, rename your folder(s) with underscores instead of spaces (you won't lose any image links that way.)

TheDarkShadow
07-28-2008, 05:46 AM
congrats, sounded like fun

irishwarrior
07-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Good job! Sounds like you guys had a heck of a time!

Drefish99
07-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Nice work Vike. Congrats. Glad you had fun despite the heat. It will at least give you a chance to show these youngins that old folks can ball too.

vikingshadow
07-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Hahaha! That was our excuse for playing on the same end of the field all day - we told them we were old and fat and needed to stay down here.

Thanks fellows! It felt really natural once the whistle blew so I guess DF is right - it's just like riding a bike!

Now I just have to do what I used to hate - clean up. Yech...

The Pumper
07-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Clean up, clean up everybody everywhere. Clean up, clean up, everybody do their share!

Preschool sing-alongs ftw ;)

Good luck, Vike. :D

spyderpaintball
07-28-2008, 10:57 AM
UGGG! Didnt anyone ever tell you never to be on both knees at the same time? J/K

Looks like you had fun. I have always said that paintball will flow through the veins of anyone who played for a time. You may leave it but it will never leave you. I am kinda jealous though I gotta wait 1 more week to play once I get back from Europe.

vikingshadow
07-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I know - unfortunately, my girls took those pictures right when I was in that position every time. I did try to stay off my knees, but even as small as I am, it was very hard to keep from doing that.

However, there were just a few times when my bunker was getting pounded so much that I just knelt down and let them rail until they were out - being old and somewhat patient has it's benefits at times!

Yup - it's nearly impossible to completely "get out" of the sport. I talked to some guys I played with about 5 years ago and they had quit back then - and all they could talk about was starting back up again. Even if you stop playing, you still visit the forums, read the magazines, watch the videos or the tv, and constantly talk about it...it's a drug for sure!

Dre - you don't have to tell ALL our secrets! :p

Drefish99
07-28-2008, 11:07 AM
UGGG! Didnt anyone ever tell you never to be on both knees at the same time? J/K

Ha! I was just going to post that. Get off your knees Vike. Otter ain't around. :p

TheDarkShadow
07-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Clean up, clean up everybody everywhere. Clean up, clean up, everybody do their share!

Preschool sing-alongs ftw ;)

Good luck, Vike. :D

wow I sang that too when I was in preschool

STRIKEFIRST
07-28-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm JEALOUS and STILL MOVING...Home ownership...the summer killer

Congrats!

The Pumper
07-28-2008, 02:01 PM
vike, how tall are you?
Youz a sexy beast though, vike. I'm jealous.

vikingshadow
07-28-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm a monstrous 5'6" tall - but 12' to my students! (and bulletproof, btw!)

Ah, shucks - now I'm blushing. Wait until I drop the 30 pounds. I'll have to beat you away with a stick!

The Pumper
07-28-2008, 02:58 PM
LOL.
Well first you have to get through the 50lbs of fat lol
then you can get the nervous system :D