PDA

View Full Version : red loctite?

sonik
07-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the red substance on the MR2 Vertical / C/A Plug (part 252) threads was red loctite??? It is red in colour. Seems excessive... and as I cracked the seal with very little force, doubt it was 272 or what many refer to as red loctite.

I was going to use blue loctite to replace it when my AK mag gas expansion finally shows up, but teflon tape and perhaps a little lithium grease on the o-rings seems like the best option for the air system as the ak mag looks like it has a weaver rail that keeps the whole chamber from turning after installation.

Thoughts?
(@Shady, I saw that 'the chief' has the same expansion mag after I ordered mine. Any tips?)
edit: just saw that PM from you shady... let me know how it went

slim and shady
07-22-2008, 12:45 PM
No dont put red loctite on there. Just put grease on the oring (between the marker and chamber) then put a little teflon on the threads and you will be good.
I have had nothing but trouble from my mag, IMO the worst product I have ever bought check "shadys experiences with upgrade....." in my sig for details. I think I have it fixed and working right now, at least I hope so as im starting to get plenty tired of fideling with it. So my advice to you is; have alot of patience! But I may have just got a lemon!

sonik
07-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Man I wish I read that before I ordered it... they were sold out of the 32 degrees Bob Long expansion chamber, and I thought it looked pretty good.

I'm pretty good with gas fittings and I plan on taking my time to get it right before I pressurize the system.

I will contact Spyder and see what the factory sealant is that they used on the stock plug, and use more of the same.

I am suspecting a metric/SAE incompatibility... Most likely it is a lowest-bidder part and that is the root of the problem. :-)

slim and shady
07-22-2008, 08:11 PM
I dont want to discourage you from getting it you mahy like it. I dont think you would need anything other then tefflon on there. you will have to get a metric adapter for your air line as well.

sonik
07-23-2008, 11:08 AM
So I emailed Spyder and...

I wrote:

What is the red sealant on the MR2 Vertical C/A plug? I would
like to use some to install a Trinity MR2 AK-47 Expansion chamber.

The guy writes back:
Loctite.

oh. nice... WHICH FREAKING ONE!!!! :-)

slim and shady
07-23-2008, 06:44 PM
I wouldnt put loctite on there definatly not red maby blue. Mine never had any on it when i took it off and I dont feel its nessissary. But it's your marker!

sneekypete
07-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Mine came with Blue so that is what I used

sonik
07-25-2008, 08:29 AM
AK-47 expansion chamber showed up today. Now that I see how the mag is designed, I know why so many people are having issues with it.

I think the design could be improved with a top o-ring in the mag part of the piece. _ANY_ damage or debris on the soft die cast section is going to fail the part.

Also, blue loctite is the strongest adhesive I would use as the part is such a soft metal, not at all as sturdy as the C/A plug that comes stock with the MR2.

All in all, the mag looks awesome! My MR2 is looking just like I want. Last step will be getting the remote coil and a fast loader...

Cheers!
edit: I am uploading a pic to the "Pic of your MR2" thread

sonik
07-25-2008, 06:27 PM
BTW... Spyder did finally email me back. The C/A plug uses red loctite #262, too keep the plug from turning when removing the mini expansion chamber. It is a sturdy part and can be removed with a small amount of force and large wrench.

Later...

slim and shady
07-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Good too know