PDA

View Full Version : Darn Stripped the body out

slim and shady
07-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Well I was cleaning my Trracer and oiling it but whn I went to put it back together I striped the screw that holds it all together and keeps the internals in. This cought me off guard as there all thumb screws and no wrench screwdriver is required. So now I have a gun that is no good, so I tried to fix it; this is what I did.

First I took a self threading bolt and turned it in and out of the stripped hole a rew times to rough it up again then I filled the hole with liquid weld(the hole does not go all the way through to where the internals are) I put a light coat of oil over the thumb screw and then a light wrap of teflon and stuck it back in and clamped it all together. The theory is that it should re-thread the body and not stick to the thumb screw because of the oil and teflon. Will let you know if it works. But if it doesnt its not like im really out anything couldnt use it with it stripped anyway.

So if this gun is wreked I was wondering if anyone would know of a good CHEEP pump to get, roughly how much they are and if they are easy to maintain or not. I would appreciate links if you had them and anything milsim looking is a +. Thanks everyone.

sneekypete
07-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Can you just retap the hole with a little larger screw. I had to do that for the feed neck. I stipped the one that is beside the detent. Took it to my freind the machinest and he did it. I did not have the right size tap. Just a thought and if your fix does not work might give you an other option before you bye an other pump marker.

slim and shady
07-22-2008, 01:32 PM
I hope it works I really like that old pump not as nice or convenient as the new ones that do everything but pump themselvs but it was always reliable. I I have to i will weld the trigger frame right to the marker LOL :D

slim and shady
07-22-2008, 09:28 PM
it worked! not sure how long it will last and the thread indentation isnt as deep as I would have hopped so im worried about a recuring problem but only time will tell.

bigred76
07-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Always wrap the threads for the rear thumbscrew in teflon tape. Should help it a little.

slim and shady
07-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the tip Red!

bigred76
07-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Just keep in mind that teflon tape, like loctite, is a thread locker, not a sealant. It will keep those threads in place a little better, and make them bulkier in your case if you wrap it enough, filling in the gaps and cutting down on the destructive wobble that'll ruin your hard work.

tigerdave714
11-26-2008, 08:29 PM
If the problem does come back, and you end up scrapping the gun, you have a few options.

You can occasionally find Trracers, Hammers, and other nelson-clone pump guns on ebay (and the SCP forum) for sale, for $50ish. For a bit more you can find oldschool PGPs and other Sheridan/PMI oldschool brass guns. If you're willing to go up to $100 you can find old snipers.

If you want to stay under $50, you can always go for a Tigershark. Not much to look at, and 90% plastic, but they're actually durable and fun little guns. Below that... you might get lucky and find a cheap splatmaster. 10-rnd 12gram goodness from Paintball's past. I found one on ebay once for $20 :)

Im in that boat now. Sold ALL my gear (including about 12 pump guns) a few years back. Now Im looking to get back into the sport on the cheap. I'll probably end up with a second hand sniper or used Phantom.

S/T
02-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Just seen this!!!!

http://www.customcockers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11529

slim and shady
02-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks going to buy that right now!

S/T
02-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Happy to help.

slim and shady
02-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks again managed to buy it, you have no idea how much of a help that was!

S/T
02-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Cool.
Like I said happy to help I know what its like looking for hard to find items.
Have fun!