PDA

View Full Version : Ok, computer guys!

vikingshadow
07-19-2008, 01:56 PM
A couple years ago, you guys gave me an ap to get rid of Norton Antivirus when it completely froze my internet out. I really appreciate it, and since then I've used it to get rid of Norton on just about every computer I touch, haha!

Now, my mom just bought a new computer that came with Mcafee antivirus, which in my mind, is every bit as bad as Norton. Her 90-day free trial period is up on Monday, so I need to remove it when I go to her house tomorrow before I download either AVG, Antivir or Avast (I haven't decided which yet, but leaning toward AVG.)

So, do any of you guys have a handy dandy ap for getting rid of McAfee? Thanks, fellers!

HelpDeskHustler
07-19-2008, 01:58 PM
start > run > "msconfig"

click services and uncheck anything with "nv" or associated with norton antivirus, or symantec. it's pretty obvious. Then go to startup and uncheck everything there, then close norton. Then uninstall.

DO NOT GET AVG. It prefetches sites, causing enormous slowdowns. I'd just run adaware periodically or buy that.

vikingshadow
07-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I guess I was a bit cryptic. I meant I needed a way to get rid of McAfee. But that's ok, I found it on google!

Thanks anyways!

Critical
07-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Here's a simple solution to get rid of McAfee:

Go to store > Buy a Mac :D

Hossy
07-19-2008, 05:05 PM

:yeahthat: x 1000000

DFSniper
07-19-2008, 05:07 PM
then blow em up!!

sorry, thread was starting to feel a little one-sided...

colonel_moo
07-19-2008, 05:39 PM

or he could install linux on his existing PC for free :)

bamf-hacker
07-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Said guy that gave you the scrip for Norton was me. Hit me up on IM or PM's and we can talk.

HelpDeskHustler
07-20-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm really with moo here. You mac users REALLY need to stop telling people to get mac's, because the high usage of PC's is the main reason there are so many viruses and worms, not just it's vulnerabilities. If you keep acting like you're the **** and nobody can touch you, you can bet somebody will try. http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/27/Gone-in-2-minutes-Mac-gets-hacked-first-in-contest_1.html ;)

I boot XP(soon to be Vista) and fedora. Occasionally Ubuntu, but I dislike it.

Nader
07-20-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm really with moo here. You mac users REALLY need to stop telling people to get mac's, because the high usage of PC's is the main reason there are so many viruses and worms, not just it's vulnerabilities. If you keep acting like you're the **** and nobody can touch you, you can bet somebody will try. http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/27/Gone-in-2-minutes-Mac-gets-hacked-first-in-contest_1.html ;)

Yes, let us snooty elite have our peace, no need to bring those philistine PC users into the fold.
:p

HelpDeskHustler
07-20-2008, 09:37 AM
PC users who stay on the beaten trail and don't break the law (limewire/torrent etc) will have no problems with worms/viruses. That being said, the same goes with Mac users, the only difference being that Mac users NEVEER venture from the beaten trail since they all visit web 2.0 sites like digg and del.icio.us and their blogging sites 30 times a day while in the "safety" of their panera/starbucks wifi hotspot.

For the record, any person who has something to be worried about having stolen shouldn't be NEAR a wifi hotspot.

battlechaser
07-20-2008, 09:53 AM
For the record, any person who has something to be worried about having stolen shouldn't be NEAR a wifi hotspot.

Crap! My Pronz! :p

DFSniper
07-20-2008, 12:19 PM
i agree with claus.

wow, havent said that in a while!

but srsly, its the stuck up, snooty, me > you attitude that keeps me from wanting to even THINK about getting a mac. 99% of the people i know that get a mac act like they're somehow magically superior than PC users. two more reasons i'm not likely to get a mac anytime soon: software compatibility and customizability. i'm not talking about "ooh, i have an icon bar across my desktop," i'm talking command prompt, registry and startup edits, etc. i have a mediocre PC adn i'm pretty sure can process faster than any mac with less than a 3 Ghz processor (i have a 2.4, for the record.) and i can actually upgrade stuff besides memory.

so sure, a mac may be a good investment for people that only use it to type documents and surf the web, but most avid PC users will need a windows or even unix based system.

battlechaser
07-20-2008, 12:23 PM
so sure, a mac may be a good investment for people that only use it to type documents and surf the web, but most avid PC users will need a windows or even unix based system.

Macs are also good for rendering video/graphics, in fact they're pretty much the industry standard for it. But I will side with you that a well built PC will be able to handle those tasks fine.

DFSniper
07-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Nvidia Quadro workstations run cheaper than most GOOD Mac desktops. :D

Critical
07-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Holy Christ, this was never meant to be a Mac versus PC thread. Can you all just let it die? It was a joke, everyone get their ladders and get down off their horses.

vikingshadow
07-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Hahahaha, the off topic monster strikes again!

It's ok - I got it uninstalled and a new virus program put on so it's all good. So long as it stays civil and my problem is solved, go ahead and debate the merits of mac vs pc - I don't really care that much anymore.

Have at it!

colonel_moo
07-21-2008, 04:10 AM
Ok, well now that vike has given us the go ahead...

I'm really not arguing one way or the other, I like both mac and PC, so i feel i need to point out the flaw in DFSniper's argument. Macs do have a command line... in fact its a bash shell which is a hell of alot more useful than the windows DOS cmd line.

For the record, I dual boot XP and Ubuntu (99% Ubuntu). I tried to triple boot with Leopard, but I couldn't get a few things working so I gave up. I'm still trying to find a decent deal on a G4 to play around with.

irishwarrior
07-21-2008, 05:17 AM
I used to have a PC that ran XP (I like XP better than Visa personally) and it worked all right, did what I asked of it, etc... but it became non-functioning after 4 years and so for Christmas, I got a Macbook. IMO, Leopard and all the software goodies work better for me than the PC did. It has a lot of media/project programs (for school), it's very intuitive, easy to use, and the mass amounts of freeware available from Apple make customizing (software-wise) pretty easy. Not saying it's better than windows, just saying it works better for me. It sucks that no one makes games for the Mac and that AVG doesn't make anti-virus software for the mac.

HelpDeskHustler
07-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Why would it suck that AVG isn't out for the mac? It's one of the most terrible software suites that I've ever owned. I'd rather have a virus.

Nader
07-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Why would it suck that AVG isn't out for the mac? It's one of the most terrible software suites that I've ever owned. I'd rather have a virus.
Agreed.

irishwarrior
07-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Why would it suck that AVG isn't out for the mac?

I like it...

STRIKEFIRST
07-21-2008, 09:55 AM

He wants a machine that works...not a paper weight with a light up apple.:rolleyes:

HelpDeskHustler
07-21-2008, 10:46 AM
AVG is a waste of memory. Not only does it use as much system resources as Norton, IT DOESN'T DO IT'S JOB. I'm still looking for the link, but multiple tests have revealed that AVG only gets some 18% or so of serious Viruses, compared to Kapersky at 99.8%. Not to mention prefetching in old versions and falsified feature lists in new versions. AVG is as bad, if not worse than Norton, it just looks prettier.

irishwarrior
07-21-2008, 10:50 AM
^But, it IS free.

DFSniper
07-21-2008, 05:31 PM
another thing i like about PCs. my motherboard went out last night (been using laptops for the past 24hrs...) and i can actually fix it myself. i dont need to send it in to Mac to get it fixed/replaced. the only thing i DONT like is that PC parts become outdated very fast. they dont make my CPU socket anymore, so i have to spend about $300 in parts to get my computer to run again, albeit a LOT better than it ran before :D

Nenkitsune
07-22-2008, 09:13 PM
haha, spending 300 in parts isn't that bad. However, last time I had to fix my computer due to a chip frying on an old socket A mobo, it only cost me 70 bucks to upgrade to a socket 754 Athlon64 3000, then it took another 30 minutes to upgrade that 3000 for my mom's 3200 (since she'll never notice the 200mhz drop in speed.)
So for about 70 bucks i went from a 1.6ghz DURON (a wha?) to a 2.5ghz overclocked A64

and now I want to save up 1000 dollars to build a wicked nice Phenom quad core system. Ah...but I also need to fix my Z....and get my paintball gear.....and save up to go back to school.....and....(you get the idea)