PDA

View Full Version : How important is it to you?

Drefish99
07-17-2008, 01:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/drefish99/a1.jpg

I was having steak with the wife and kids last night when it suddenly struck me as I watched my family eat. The wife and I have instilled in our children the importance of not wasting this precious sauce. To only take as much as you can consume. My son, my youngest even goes to the point of making sure to lick his plate to get every ounce of that goodness. How important is A1 in your family household? Just wondering if my family is just weird or if other families hold this sauce just as highly.

Critical
07-17-2008, 01:11 PM
It depends on the steak. If my wife or Mother-in-Law cooked it, it gets lots of A1, If my father or I cooked it, or we're at Outback, it only gets a little, and only after a taste test to make sure it's needed. At Ruth's Chris or Morton's, no, it doesn't need it.

DFSniper
07-17-2008, 01:13 PM
any steak, roast and most chicken = A1 sauce too. except when it already comes with a liquid coat (barbecue, gravy, etc...)

TheDarkShadow
07-17-2008, 01:23 PM
not that important, I put ranch on it. I put rance on a lot of things

ranch > steak sauce for me

vikingshadow
07-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Not important to me at all. So long as the food is moist and not dry, I won't use any after cooking seasoning. I think, if cooked properly, the food has a taste that we can't perfect upon....just me though. Now, I like the stuff, but I hardly ever add any sauce to my plate while I'm eating.

My wife absolutely won't eat steak without Heinz 57, nor will she eat ANYTHING without salting it first. Won't even taste it. My kids are getting the same way as her and it drives me nuts - remember the commercial from Taco Bell when the guy dives at a customer who's about to add ketchup or something to his food and says, "Just taste it first!" Well, that's me!

Oh, and my oldest daughter is a Ranch person, too. Ranch on EVERYTHING! French fries, potatoes, chips, steak, chicken, you name it, she's probably had ranch on it!

Although, we are plate lickers when it comes to spaghetti...

DirtySouth
07-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I use A1 sauce on practically all meat. As well as my family.

TheDarkShadow
07-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Oh, and my oldest daughter is a Ranch person, too. Ranch on EVERYTHING! French fries, potatoes, chips, steak, chicken, you name it, she's probably had ranch on it!

that sounds like me, except I eat ketchup on my french fries

DFSniper
07-17-2008, 01:53 PM
I use A1 sauce on practically all meat. As well as my family.

lol. cannibal! :p

DirtySouth
07-17-2008, 01:59 PM
lol. cannibal! :p

Hehe. Wording could have been better.

colonel_moo
07-17-2008, 02:36 PM
I think A1 ruins the steak. All it does is mask the actual flavor. Sure it might make crappy steak taste good, but if you put A1 on a good top sirloin or a fillet mignon, you might as well be eating tips.

shunut
07-17-2008, 04:12 PM
On my steak, all that goes on there is a little garlic, salt and pepper. I don't think I've ever even tried A1. I love the taste of steak as is so I wouldn't ruin that by putting anything on it.

battlechaser
07-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Not really, Though it isn't bad, just not a fan of steak sauce in general, chicken with my BBQ sauce though, that's another story.

spray and pray
07-17-2008, 04:45 PM
For me A1 goes on the tough meats. I find that is ruins the flavor of tender meats. (Fillet, Prime Rib, Etc)

deano 177
07-17-2008, 04:47 PM
When I was growing up I was a :facelick:ketchup-a-holic. Fries, pork chops, chicken, steak, mashed taters, eggs... you name it. If I ate it, it had ketchup on it. Now that I've gotten older and have been watching what I eat(carbs are the devil! MMMmm... Carbs...), I have kut the ketchup out. I like A1 but usually when I cook steaks they don't need any other sauce. Plus, I have been taught that if you ask for sauce that it is an insult to the chef(not trying to diss your cooking dre!:D ) However, if I'm at a resturant and I'm not impressed wif da flava, I'll rock the A1 or Heinz 57. Just depends on my mood.

STRIKEFIRST
07-18-2008, 03:41 PM
I guarantee...you try steak prepared my wifes family...you'll be begging for A1!! THEN they'll hand you GENERIC A1!

A good steak needs no sauce.

Nader
07-18-2008, 04:13 PM
I like A1 on well done steaks.....except I never get them well done...

badlandsrox
07-18-2008, 05:36 PM
personally I HATE A-1, and most steak sauces (then again I always have Alberta beef, which is said to be some of the best steak around). When I do have steak sauce with my steak though, it is always Cattle Boys, I dont know if you guys have it in the states, but it is probably one of the best steak sauces around.
On a side note, it all depends on which cut of steak you have as to what kind of sauce tastes the best, as each different cut has its own distinct flavour and toughness etc.

battlechaser
07-18-2008, 05:39 PM
personally I HATE A-1, and most steak sauces (then again I always have Alberta beef, which is said to be some of the best steak around). When I do have steak sauce with my steak though, it is always Cattle Boys, I dont know if you guys have it in the states, but it is probably one of the best steak sauces around.
On a side note, it all depends on which cut of steak you have as to what kind of sauce tastes the best, as each different cut has its own distinct flavour and toughness etc.

Cattle Boys must be a Western Canada thing, I've never seen it here in Ontario.

badlandsrox
07-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Cattle Boys must be a Western Canada thing, I've never seen it here in Ontario.

If you have a costco card look there, cause I have seen it at most costco's, even one in seattle last year. It is western canadian though forsure, as it was just a local place till a few years ago, and now its mass produced and shipped across North America. (according to their website anyways.)