PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a pump...

topher14495
07-17-2008, 11:45 AM
I am thinking about getting a pump and wanted to know what to look for? Where to look? Is it better to get a pump marker or get a regular marker and get a pump kit for it? And as always, COST is an issue...the cheaper the better.

TheDarkShadow
07-17-2008, 12:07 PM
how serious are you about getting into pump? how much are you wanting to spend? those are questions you need to ask yourself

imo look for a cocker pump on ebay

DFSniper
07-17-2008, 01:02 PM
i like my hammer, but the thing that bugs me about it (as with most pumps) is that it doesnt have a ball detent, and the 10rd tubes arent spring loaded. i would look into a cocker pump or build a spyder pump, and throw a pocket hopper on it unless you plan on playing stock class.

topher14495
07-17-2008, 04:50 PM
I was really looking on eBay earlier and saw a few cheap cockers (under $80) and I was thinking about just getting a pump kit for it...any reccomendations on a kit?

DFSniper
07-17-2008, 04:51 PM
http://www.pmpind.com/Products.aspx?CAT=58

topher14495
07-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Can I put a pump kit on a Trilogy Sport Autococker with the intigrated front block?

DFSniper
07-18-2008, 02:26 AM
they make trilogy pump kits on that site too.

topher14495
07-18-2008, 07:04 AM
I saw that I just wasn't sure if the integrated 3-way was going to be a problem...but after a little more research I don't think it will be.

The Pumper
07-18-2008, 07:37 AM
no its not
ive owned a few trilogy pumps

Ace24
07-18-2008, 08:41 AM
i like my hammer, but the thing that bugs me about it (as with most pumps) is that it doesnt have a ball detent, and the 10rd tubes arent spring loaded. i would look into a cocker pump or build a spyder pump, and throw a pocket hopper on it unless you plan on playing stock class.

As with most pumps? I had a ring detent from a Phantom in my Hammer. Cockers have detents, Phantoms have detents, Buzzards have detents. *shrug*

DFSniper
07-18-2008, 12:39 PM
yeah, i knew about those guns, but i meant lower end pumps (pretty much anything nelson-based.)

how does the ring detent work?

vikingshadow
07-18-2008, 12:50 PM
It just a ring of aluminum that drops in the gun between the barrel and the breech. You match it to your paint, then when the ball drops into the breech, it's held in place by the ring. I haven't ever had luck with mine - I shoot them out of my gun all the time. Not sure why...

I always just use the electrical tape detent. Cut about an inch piece off the rule and fold one end into a point. Then take the other end and fold it over the butt end of the barrel. Screw it in and the tape holds the paint in place. Cheap and very effective!

DFSniper
07-18-2008, 12:57 PM
hmm, i'll have to try that...

Muddytaco
07-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Easiest way to get into pump is a open class cocker setup as it is the closest setup as far as feel to a mech or electro gun, you also don't have to worry about paint and air running out all the time like you would with a stock class gun.

cheapest way to do it would be to find a used mech cocker for dirt cheap and throw on a pump kit then you can use the tank and hopper you have now.

if you want even more of a challenge get a stock class phantom (or copy) and go to stock class but then you can only hold 10-15 rounds and 12 grams will only last about 35-40 shots on a good day....lots to think about while playing but weight and challenge can't be beat.

(/my one useful post while on vacation:p )

QAZ123
07-19-2008, 04:30 AM
I always just use the electrical tape detent. Cut about an inch piece off the rule and fold one end into a point. Then take the other end and fold it over the butt end of the barrel. Screw it in and the tape holds the paint in place. Cheap and very effective!

This is all I do. I have a .688 Ti-stick and just use whatever paint. No paint to barrel matching etc. etc. Drop paint in and shoot it. Tape will do the job!

Teammate uses nail polish. Drop enough in the barrel to make a detent. Once it hardens you're good to go.

Jb.

vikingshadow
07-19-2008, 05:04 AM
I've always wanted to try the nail polish thing, but never got around to it. Do you have to build it up to a sizeable height, or is one drop enough?

QAZ123
07-19-2008, 05:14 AM
I think he builds it up. Just enough to make a visible detent. Probably just 2-3 applications at the most.

JB.

vikingshadow
07-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Cool! I'm definitly going to do that next time I use it. Is it pretty solid - I mean, does it stand up to the abuse?

DFSniper
07-19-2008, 05:36 AM
i use nail polish to cover scratches on my gun, and unless i use a nail or sharp object, it doesnt even leave a scratch.

slim and shady
07-19-2008, 06:11 AM
It just a ring of aluminum that drops in the gun between the barrel and the breech. You match it to your paint, then when the ball drops into the breech, it's held in place by the ring. I haven't ever had luck with mine - I shoot them out of my gun all the time. Not sure why...

I use a little bubble sticker when i close the bolt it pushes the ball to sit on top of the sticker, doesnt dent it or effect it in anyway other then narrowing it enough to hold the ball firmly inplace, doesnt come out with a squegee(SP) or anything works great.

QAZ123
07-19-2008, 06:40 AM
Cool! I'm definitly going to do that next time I use it. Is it pretty solid - I mean, does it stand up to the abuse?

I think he checks it and reapplies it every once in a while. It's solid but I guess the balls rub it down over time.

JB.

adriann222
07-25-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm with the cocker crowd.

For the price you can't beat a trilogy + pump kit. YOu can then go from there. I'm actually a big fan of cockers cause you can make them pump, mech, electo, or electro pneumatic depending on how crazy you want to go!

The Pumper
07-25-2008, 09:54 AM
I'd look into Traccers/maverick's/hammers.
I too enjoy sniper's [aka cocker pumps]

phatphil
07-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Pick up an older mech cocker (2001 and up is good--older than that and you start to lose features) for next to nothing and add a pump kit and you'll have a great pump.

My cocker pump has outlasted all my other guns by a long shot. It's a great choice & very highly recommended. I started with an 03 mech and a CCM kit and built it for around $150 (not including a barrel) several years ago. I'd expect the prices have dropped a tad or remained pretty close to that since then.