PDA

View Full Version : Hancock

vikingshadow
07-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Anyone watch this movie yet? I just got back and thought it was one of the better movies I've seen in awhile. The storyline was good, the acting pretty decent (Jason Bateman has his bit part down perfectly - he should, it's all he plays these days) and it wasn't too long or too short with just the right amount of laughs mixed in with the drama(for this type of movie).

Will Smith's acting ability is definitely improving as he gets older. Charlize Theron was hot, as always of course. Oh, and she is a pretty good actress as well!

Not to give anything away, but this might so beware - SPOILER ALERT!

I REALLY liked how they linked the superheroes to the angels and gods thing centuries ago. It's a different take on superheroes than we normally see in the movies. It seems that it can be built on in sequels if they decide to do one.

Only thing I'd probably spend a bit more time on (it was only a 1.5 hour long movie, after all) is the bad guy character. I realize this whole movie was a "finding yourself" movie for Hancock, but I felt the bad guys were just stupid criminals and nothing too special. Too bad, because the movie left a HUGE opening for the bad guys - not to give anything away, but when Theron was explaining their history, she kept mentioning a "they" (the bad guys) and how "they" kept finding them and using her against Hancock to hurt him.

Vike's movie score (out of 5 points)

Storyline - 5
Acting - 4.5
Action - 4
Visual effects - 4.5

18/20 points possible, or 90% = A

Hossy
07-05-2008, 07:21 PM
18/20 points possible, or 90% = A

on my grading scale, thats a B :(

TheDarkShadow
07-06-2008, 05:57 AM
on my grading scale, thats a B :(

same here, but I really want to see this movie

BTW if you like Charlize Theron, watch Reindeer Games ;) (if you are 18 or older)

battlechaser
07-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Call me an A-hole... one more time.

It wasn't bad, but personally, the rating should've been bumped up a bit for the language. The theatre I watched it in was mostly filled with kids 6 and under. (Mind you, that's the parents call, as it was rated PG-13).

I'm hoping they go more into the drunken superhero bit with Iron Man 2.. ;)

vikingshadow
07-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Geez, so picky! I give it an A, whether it's a 90 or a 95...

Actually, battlechaser is right. I forgot all about the language. I think because it was pretty strong at the first of the movie, but got much cleaner once he went into the prison. I really don't remember any language issues (except from the criminals) after that.

Honestly, while I liked it, I wasn't that big of a fan of Iron Man. Don't get me wrong, it was ok, but the movie was lacking to me. The suit scenes were good, the fight scenes ok, the beginning in Iraq was good, the special effects and laughs were there, but in between - bleh. And there was a LOT of in between scenes in that movie. But, all that aside, it was just like any other superhero movie. For some reason, I think Hancock was better because it was a different type of story. Of course, this is all just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

DFSniper
07-06-2008, 12:36 PM
thanks for the review, vike. i've been debating on seeing it or not.

DisIsMyUsername
07-06-2008, 12:48 PM
It was a good movie.

I would've just liked to be a little more informed? They vaguely mention god's angels and that was that? Maybe its one of those things you dont question but it still kind of left me asking questions, which could be a good thing as it opens up the oppurtunity for sequels.

Did anyone else also notice the extreme facial close ups when will and charlize were in a scene together. How obvious was it that they would show some sort of sign that they both had a past.

calebh
07-06-2008, 12:57 PM
yeah, that was pretty obvious. it was obvious from the moment she saw him.

anyway, it was good, but not that good. it was entertaining for sure, but not as good as some of will smith's other stuff. (think pursuit of happyness)

i felt like it was just playing off all of the superhero movies that are coming out.

Hossy
07-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Geez, so picky! I give it an A, whether it's a 90 or a 95...

im not trying to be picky, but on my grading scale in school, a 90 is not an A. I do wish we did have this. I havent seen the movie, but probably wont. I hate going to the movies

Team Ramrod
07-06-2008, 05:01 PM
was an hour and 15 min early for it opening night, just to make sure we got good seats. I thought it was a wicked movie, loved the whole thing. I also like how there is room for a sequal as well.

Now all that is left is the Dark Night, oh how i cant wait for that....

LostCause
07-06-2008, 05:25 PM
im not trying to be picky, but on my grading scale in school, a 90 is not an A. I do wish we did have this. I havent seen the movie, but probably wont. I hate going to the movies

wow....really>? cause that makes no sense, 90% is still a A in almost every school i know, and you can get in trouble as a teacher for puitting it diffrent.

Though I may see this with a girl i know....hm...