PDA

View Full Version : Autism

spyderfan4271
07-03-2008, 06:20 PM
My daughter has autism and I was wondering how many people out there have a friend or loved one who has special needs. Feel free to vent here if someone looked at your family like it was from another planet because your sibling(or child) had a meltdown in public. Maybe you want to educate others about autism. Sometimes I get so upset in public when I feel the stares of people who just think my daughter is spoiled out of control like I am a bad parent for letting her act so disruptive. How could someone allow there child to act like that or am I try to abduct my own child, yes I have had the police called on me during a meltdown. Sometimes I want to turn to the heat of the stares and yell WHAT, what do you think you see here. I really don't mean to overrant nor do I want pitty just curious how many others are out there. Maybe you can educate one person about autism or you can convince your field to organize a charity tournament for autism thearapy in your area. We have pledge 5k run/fun walk in the town I live. Even a penny war at your school is a possibility every little bit helps.

shunut
07-03-2008, 06:47 PM
My little sister has Septo-Optic Dysplasia. She is in a wheelchair and we get stares all the time. Not sure if its because she is in the wheelchair or because she is black and we are white (we adopted her and 2 more kids, both of which are black). I'm use to it and really don't notice stares very often anymore. If I do notice it, I'll make a joke like "Wanna take a picture?" or "Take a picture it will last longer." or, my favorite, I'll stop and say "Abby (my little sister) smile, I think they want to take our picture." She finds that pretty funny too. She participates in Special Olympics (bowling, swimming and baseball). She loves it and both her and our family have made some really good friends though the Special Olympics.

spyderfan4271
07-03-2008, 07:31 PM
It's a little difficult for me the elementary school my daughter is going to go kindergarten this year had low test scores a few years ago. So in the meetings to come up with suggestions some of the redneck parents wanted the special kids out of there school. This is my little girl, as a parent you want the best for your child. Kids can be so cruel and if there home environment is filled with ignorance whats to stop them from being disrespectful at school. I would like to be able to say take a picture but that over protective parent thing kicks in and someday I may just go off on somebody.

shunut
07-03-2008, 07:41 PM
I don't even thing that special ed kids' test scores factor into how the school is doing.

I'm sure its tough. The youngest in our family has some psychological disorders and she throws fits really bad. Last Sunday we had 6 cops at our house it was so bad. Luckily for us, it stays in our house, she would never do anything like that outside of our house. If she did outside of our house, I'd probably run and hide, I just couldn't imagine it outside our house, its gotta be tough for you.

vikingshadow
07-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Yes, SpEd scores do count - those programs have to show growth every year just like mainstream students - they just start and finish at lower numbers than others. Last I checked, NCLB was broken down into 37 categories from minority race (African American, Asian, Anglo, etc), age, gender, financial situation, home situation (divorced, separated, single, married, etc.) special education, etc. and schools have to show adequate progress from year to year in every single one of them. Note, this isn't adequate progress of the same students, just adequate progress. One of the things I hate about NCLB...it's an absolute nightmare and ridiculous at times.

/NCLB mini rant

Anywho, we had an autistic child in our school a couple years ago. It was my first experience with a child like this, and I gotta say it was difficult at times. He wasn't on my team, but during recess and lunch periods, it was an experience. Fortunately, this is being diagnosed much earlier and we as teachers are starting to get much more training on how to handle these situations.

Fortunately, at least in our district, this condition is being diagnosed much earlier and we're getting a lot of training on how to handle an autistic child. Unfortunately, you can't give the general public this training and there are always going to be ignorant people out there.

irishwarrior
07-04-2008, 04:42 AM
My cousin has Prader-Willi syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prader-Willi_syndrome). She's doing well though. It helps she lives in a smaller town (by Washington DC standards) in Massachusetts. They all know her, even at the hardware store.

shunut
07-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Yes, SpEd scores do count - those programs have to show growth every year just like mainstream students - they just start and finish at lower numbers than others. Last I checked, NCLB was broken down into 37 categories from minority race (African American, Asian, Anglo, etc), age, gender, financial situation, home situation (divorced, separated, single, married, etc.) special education, etc. and schools have to show adequate progress from year to year in every single one of them. Note, this isn't adequate progress of the same students, just adequate progress. One of the things I hate about NCLB...it's an absolute nightmare and ridiculous at times.

Right, I think my statement early wasn't worded correctly. I didn't mean their scores didn't count, I meant they didn't factor in to how regular ed kids are doing. How could they, you have 2 totally different curriculum.