PDA

View Full Version : Need a Good LCD TV

pbgrandpa
07-03-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm finally going to get a LCD TV and am just over whelmed at the choices that are out there. I probably won't get anything bigger than a 26" for space reasons and it will be used for gaming and monitor for my comp. So what do you guys recommend as far as best bang for the bucks??

maximus100389
07-03-2008, 02:18 PM
My Vizio is nice, but its bigger than 26". Got it at Costco for a very nice price.

badlandsrox
07-03-2008, 02:31 PM
if money wasnt an issue, sony tends to be the best, but when it comes to smaller TV's like monitors and all that, they all start to have the same characteristics, as its not till things start getting stretched to fill the screen that you would notice major differences between them IMHO.

maximus100389
07-03-2008, 02:38 PM
What you will want to check when you are considering using a TV for a monitor is the maximum resolution output of your videocard to a TV screen. They will definitely vary by the type and quality for graphics card you have. I just highly recommend you know that while you shop around.

battlechaser
07-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Most of the guys I know are going with the Sharp Aquos, should I ge the cash, that's probably what I'd buy too.

SpyderMan723
07-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I have a nice toshiba HD in my room..

pbgrandpa
07-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I think I have it narrowed down to 3 brands. The Sony I like the best as far as picture quality but can't find one in 26". 32" is the smallest I can find. The Toshiba I'm looking at is close to the Sony also as far as features go but is a little lacking in the picture quality. The last was a Viewsonic. I can get it in the 26" and it has a decent picture but lacks in the features. I have a pretty top of the line card in my comp. so I don't think that will be a problem. I haven't looked at the Sharp yet but I think it will just add to my confusion :confused:
I may have to go bigger than a 26" to get what I'm looking for. Thanks guys

spray and pray
07-03-2008, 05:03 PM
The sharp and Vizio are extremely nice. About how far away from the tv are you going to be sitting?

pbgrandpa
07-03-2008, 05:34 PM
The sharp and Vizio are extremely nice. About how far away from the tv are you going to be sitting?6 to 8 ft.

shunut
07-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I just did the comparison shopping for a plasma for my dad and I found that the Samsung had the best picture of any brand. That was plasma though, so I'm not sure if thats really fair. My friends have a little Vizio in their kitchen and the picture is great.

timmyshoota
07-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Samsung is probably the best TV for the price.

pbgrandpa
07-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Well I ended up getting a Vizio. I had it set beside a Samsung and Sony to compare, and for the difference in price I just couldn't pass up the Vizio. COD4 and Bad Co. look amazing. Haven't had a chance to get it hooked up to the computer yet but I'm sure it will look killer there also. Thanks for all your input....

HelpDeskHustler
07-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Sorry I'm late here, apparently you made a good choice but I felt that some stereotypes about the TV market should be killed. Sony makes a good TV but not for a good price. Value on Sony TV's are relatively low and IMO they still look pretty bad until you reach some insanely high prices. Vizio (offshoot of LG), Samsung and LG tend to be the best for the buck and look really nice at a lower price.

Sony's are terrible unless you get their Highest priced model. Only their OLED are good. LG, Samsung and Vizio are your best bet on LCD.

Look for a high contrast ratio and high resolution before you start looking to go for a larger size. Bigger isn't always better if the picture is ****

DisIsMyUsername
07-09-2008, 03:25 PM
yea i was suprised nobody mentioned LG.

Family just got a 50" LG for the living room FTW. Now i need a ps3 :)

but yea Gpa, for the size you're looking for LCD is your best bet, and you'll be happy with your purchase.