PDA

View Full Version : recording

paintballkid0206
06-29-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm looking to start recording songs that i've wrote (lead guitar, bass, drums, rhythm guitar) and putting them on the computer and putting them together. But i dont have the equipment. or the program.

The main things are:
1.) What kinda equipment do i need (and how much does it cost)
2.) What program do you need on the computer for this?

Thanks in advance!

Muddytaco
06-29-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't really know much on this but one of my friends roommates is a audio engineer and he has this interface box that you plug your guitar, keyboard and mics into and then the program records what ever you are play and then you can arrange it, cut it, mix it, etc. Not sure who it was made by or how much it costs but it was fun to play around with.

I will try and find out who makes it.

I have seen guitar to PC interface at guitar center before. Basically converts the guitar line out to USB so the computer can read it.

maximus100389
06-30-2008, 11:11 AM
You can buy a variety of programs at Bestbuy, Circuit City, etc. Just go there, and find the one that works best for you. They will have different features, and different prices so its best to shop around.

You will also need a multi-track recorder. Those will run around a couple hundred bucks to 700 for a decent one. Again, shop around for one that works best for you. Go here to see some multi-tracks (http://www.music123.com/Multi-Track-Recorders-Recording.Music123)

cyberthrasher_706
06-30-2008, 03:45 PM
check out Musiciansfriend.com (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/m-audio-interfaces-midi-dj-recording-music-mixers-keyboards-samples-monitors-mics-equipment-recording?N=100001+202082+304267). You will probably want an m-audio interface, that will run you about $100. They sell packages that come with programs to. I use SONAR because I don't have the equipment to run pro-tools, works with my FOSTEX multi-track. If you just get that interface then you can do the multi-track recording from it with the program, no need for another device. My Fostex was about $250 and I really like it. I wouldn't suggest anything from those chain stores. If anything, just go to Guitar Center, they sell the same things Musicians Friend does, just not as cheap all the time. Just scroll through that list at the link, I saw one of the PCI cards on there pretty cheap and if I remember right it comes with software. Let me know if you have questions about any of it.