PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take C++ programming in college?

maximus100389
06-28-2008, 01:48 PM
So I've been reading SAM's Teach Yourself C++ since I was thinking of minoring in Computer Sci in college. Did anyone take those kind of classes? What did you think?

cyberthrasher_706
06-28-2008, 07:18 PM
I took a little bit of it, just basics to get us used to logic for when we got to Cisco. All in all, it's useful but kinda outdated. It will, however, be a good starting point to get the hang of basic programming language for moving on to stuff like Visual Studio, and things like that. I'm a Cisco networking guy, so I didn't focus to much on the Comp Sci side of things. I think you have to ask yourself exactly what you want to do in the technology field. Is programming your thing? I know alot of schools are offering Comp Sci majors and supposedly putting out Network Administrators, but they really don't teach much of the really important stuff. I'm here in Idaho so if you need any school advice, hit me up. Just got my B.A.S

colonel_moo
06-28-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm a computer and systems engineering major, possibly dual majoring in comp sci. Personally, I love programming, I find it extremely satisfying. C++ is a great place to start, you'll learn how to do everything yourself, so when you move on to more complex languages like java or something, you'll understand what's going on behind the scenes of the code. C++ is also still somewhat industry standard too, although it is moving over to java, ruby, etc quickly.

Cybertrasher: Visual Studio is a development environment, not a language. I know plenty of people who write C++ in VS.

Not sure if that answers your question Max

HelpDeskHustler
06-28-2008, 08:45 PM
I really like C++ but it's only good for some of the stuff I do. I really like ruby too, but that's a scripting language so it's purpose is a bit different. I wish I knew more C++. I know a lot of Java, but I hate java. I use VS a lot, but it's not my favorite. I'll probably be taking C++ in college.

cyberthrasher_706
06-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Like I said, I'm not a programmer, I'm a networker, so I don't really know what I'm talking about when it comes to programming like some of you might. All I know is what I've done. When I was writing that I was trying to think of something that used alot of C style language, but then I think I lost track of what I was even saying. I should go back and play with it some more since I haven't done it in couple of years and I do enjoy it to a point, but I need to start learning more SQL stuff for the job I'm hoping to get soon.

maximus100389
06-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah I have no prior experience with programming, so I'm starting with C++. I am definitely into the programming side of it, not any kind of administrative work.

maximus100389
06-29-2008, 01:36 PM
So you think Java is/will be the main programming language for applications?

HelpDeskHustler
06-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Not a chance. It's far too slow to last as a language for writing a lot of programs, especially since it's rather complex to get a JIT compiler made for it. It's to cumbersome to make web applications. Java is simply a poorly executed idea that had good intentions. Libraries are a ***** to use and only a handful of people are actually good at making java programs run fast by using JIT compilers. C++ is still the prominent programming language for writing programs to be installed, although a few good programs are java-based. As for web applications, Java has no shot. Javascript/AJAX have it at an advantage of ability and Ruby on Rails has it at an advantage of simplicity and speed.

HelpDeskHustler
06-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Here's the deal with programming languages.

C is fast, arguably one of the fastest USABLE programming languages to date. It's a bit slow for programming, however because it's not Object Oriented. C++ brought this object oriented side, at a sacrifice for a small amount of speed during execution. The problem with C++ is that it has to be compiled, and each machine architecture will need to have it compiled, most of the time this isn't a problem, especailly since nearly all architectures now are i386 or x86 of some kind. It still can have some problems though.

Scripting languages like Ruby and Javascript and PHP beat this by using an interpreter on their raw code, the interpreter reads the code and it decides how each individual machine should treat it. This can be slow, but almost all scripting languages manage to keep processes efficient and it's not too bad for programs of the size they're hoping for.

Java is in this weird middle zone. You still have to compile the code before you can run it, but it doesn't become machine code, instead it becomes a "bytecode" or a simple binary code broken up into bytes that it's interpreter uses to expedite the process. Unfortunately, this becomes slower for websites since these bytecodes take up a ****ton of memory when being interpreted. It's also NOTICEABLY slow when running larger programs on your machine rather than on the web. There's no future for it in games. The advantage of Java is that compiled code can be put on ANY machine with a java interpreter and it will run. They also claim it's more secure since people can't view your source code. IMO that's completely against the culture of programming. People only try harder and more successfully to down stuff made closed source and proprietorial. In the programming world, applications ONLY get stronger either with a boatload of money pumped into them, or by being open source. Sure, some things should be closed, like password encryption routines, but making an entire application closed makes ONLY the "bad guys" want to look at it, and prevents any of the "good guys" who are really smart from telling you there's a problem with your code. Personally. I HATE java. It's way too uptight and needy for a programming language. Ruby is my man. It LITERALLY took me a week to learn everything I needed to know to start, and I'm not just saying that as somebody who can code, because honestly I've really sucked at coding until ruby. Java is impossible to learn, I took 1 intro course and 2 AP courses before I really understood the structure or why things were done a certain way. It's so much easier knowing why before knowing how, and ruby is like that. Example:

# This is a comment
# The following is a basic "Hello World" Application

puts 'Hello World'
#puts is more accurately translated as "put s" s, meaning string.
#Therefore, this program is going to output a data type "string".
#That string will contain the words quoted

If you don't believe me go here: http://tryruby.hobix.com/ and type "help" to take an IN BROWSER ruby tutorial.

maximus100389
06-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Wow I just did the tutorial, and that Ruby thing is pretty sweet. It's nice for me because I suck at programming.

HelpDeskHustler
06-29-2008, 06:15 PM
It doesn't have a lot of silly synatax like java and C++ have so it's a bit more like an actually written language.

maximus100389
06-29-2008, 06:27 PM
What kind of programs are you using Ruby for?

HelpDeskHustler
06-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Web-based applications.