PDA

View Full Version : Whats the problem with discontinued markers like TL-X

Paintball newbie!
06-28-2008, 06:19 AM
Hey, I am very new to paintball and was interested in buying a marker. I am getting a brand new Spyder TLX for much below the market rate (also because I am buying it in bulk) However, I am confused cuz of 2 things:
1. Why was the TLX discontinued?
2. Why is is cheaper than Tippmann Custom 98?
3. Are Tippmann Custom 98 much better rental guns?

DFSniper
06-28-2008, 07:49 AM
1) because newer models became available. its just like cars.

2) well, probably because its not in production anymore, so companies are trying to sell what they have left in stock and sell below MSRP. brand new, i'm sure the MSRP for the TLX and 98C was about the same.

3) thats arguable, but most will say yes because they require virtually no maintenance and are pretty durable.

slim and shady
06-28-2008, 06:29 PM
everyone always says tippmann is better, when we playe dthe winter invasion game it was -20 below freezing anyone with a tippy (mostly A-5's or 98's) sat at the fire wondering why there guns wouldnt work. Anyone with a spyder was playing, not a word of a lie. Im not saying tippmann is garbege im just saying there a little over hyped up in my opinion.

Spyderassassin
07-04-2008, 06:52 PM
I like my A5. Don't get me wrong I like my Mr2 aswell but I have had alot less problems with my A5. I think the big thing is the cyclone feed system. You don't need an expensive hopper to get good bps. It also seems to fire just about any paint. I played last week with very badly dimpled stinger paint and I was chopping and getting barrel breaks with my Mr2 while my son who was useing the exact same batch of paint never missed a beat while I sat out 2 games cleaning paint out of my barrel, ball chamber and feed neck( I also had to cleam my barrel out several times per game). I have the X7 hopper on my cyclone an it has a nice low profile as compared to my Mr2 with B2 Reloader and the X7 hopper holds more paint and does not require batteries. I haven't tried either marker in sub zero temps yet, but we did play last year in October with 2 other friends one with an Icon and the other with an over priced Candian Tire marker (not sure of the name). We used Co2 and they were both froze up most of the time. Me and my son both shot on full auto and never had a problem. We owned them bad.:D
They both have their strenghts and weeknesses. Once I get the chopping problem fixed it will probably be a toss up but for now my A5 is my gamer and the Mr2 is my back up (except when my son plays as he has claimed the A5 for himself).

Spyderassassin
07-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Hey, I am very new to paintball and was interested in buying a marker. I am getting a brand new Spyder TLX for much below the market rate (also because I am buying it in bulk) However, I am confused cuz of 2 things:
1. Why was the TLX discontinued?
2. Why is is cheaper than Tippmann Custom 98?
3. Are Tippmann Custom 98 much better rental guns?

Basiclly the 98's are tanks and they don't require alot of maintanace. Very reliable gun.

florios
07-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Basiclly the 98's are tanks and they don't require alot of maintanace. Very reliable gun.

i second that but they need new barrels stock one is terrible accuracy like ridiculously bad

Paintball newbie!
07-17-2008, 05:33 AM
thank you guys. this helps!