PDA

View Full Version : Boat Tower Questions.

badlandsrox
06-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Okay, so we have a mid 90's larson I/0 20 feet, and we are thinking of putting a tower on it now. The company that we are thinking of will put a new Roswell 52 S.I. tower on, which comes with two board racks, (msrp 2499.99USD) on our boat for $3000 total (Canuck Bucks), which includes the tower for 2599.99, and the four hours of work. Does anyone know if this is a good deal or not? as well does anyone have any experience with any roswell towers? They said that if we bring it in next monday it will most likely be ready for the weekend, which as far as i know is a pretty good timeframe this time of the year (other companies said no one in alberta will do it for a month at least) so to me that raises two flags... one, no one trusts them, two being that they might not be the right people to do the job. It is a reputable company, it actually is a boat car and rv lot, which takes up most of the block, so maybe it could just be that they have the traffic through to charge less, and the personell to do more work, but who knows.

Also, when it comes to towers in general, what are they like compared to the old method of attaching the rope to the transom? is it easier to do? is getting up easier? I have heard that jumping the wake is 10 million times easier, is this true?

Another thing i am worried about, is how strong the tower and attachment to the boat is, as we do alot of tubing, as well as multiple skiers at once, will it be able to withstand the extra force on it?

Finally, what do you guys suggest to look for in a new wakeboard, I have two older ones, except they are 122 and 118 sizes, and im in need of a bigger board, possibly a 135-140. Our boat is not a wakeboard boat, so the wake isn't great, does that matter when choosing a new board?

durrell
06-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I bet Hoppy knows the answer(s).

Hoppy11
06-24-2008, 06:18 PM
I do.

The tower is a pretty good brand. Although since you talk about doing alot of extra pulling with the tower look into Monster Towers. They use incredibly good materials and are extra strong.

As far as the install time. That sounds about right. I wouldn't use them though. I would find out if there are any inboard/wakeboarding boat dealers within the area. Anyone of these dealers should be able to do the install or know where to send it too for good reliable install. Look for Master Craft, Malibu, Moomba, Supra, Correct Craft/Ski Natique dealers. They should be able to help you out to even decide on which tower will suit you best.

As far as performance goes. Yes getting up is much easier, it is simple physics. When you are hooked to the back of the boat the boat is hardly pulling you up but when the rope is up on the tower you are gaining about 5-6 feet of height. Same goes for jumping. When the rope is down low it is actually pulling you down once you leave the water but when it is up top it will be pulling you up. Attaching the rope is easy, you should be able to reach it from just standing on the floor of your boat.

For wakeboards, how much do you weigh and how tall are you? What skill level would you rate yourself at? After you get this information you need to decide on two different style boards. One style is a 3-stage rocker which would be compared to the shape of a skateboard but less dramatic. This will give you more pop off of the wake so you dont have to edge as hard to get height but you will not be able to travel as far into the flats without more effort. The other option is a continuous rocker, which is exactly what it sounds. It will be alittle looser on edge because it doesn't have a flat spot and it won't pop as much off of the wake but it is much easier to travel into the flats with it.

Finding a dealer will also help you out with picking out a wakeboard as most of them have a nice proshop since that is what all of their boats are used for. They will also probably let you demo boards to see what they are like. Defiantly ask to demo if they don't offer it.

I think I answered everything lol. If you have anymore questions just let me know.

badlandsrox
06-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Yeah, they are in I/O dealer, in fact, its the place we got our boat before this one, and they do carry almost all makes of boats, so its not like its a shady shop, and i have done more phoning around, and lots of places can do it in the short amount of time, i think it was just the other company trying to get the business in the offseason rather than another company doing it (its where we bought our present boat, but ownership has gone downhill fast).

As for height and weight, i'm 6'0 175, so i from what i have read on that, 135-140 seem about right, mostly what im looking for in help on that, is what companies to use, and which to avoid. I have looked at hyperlite boards, but they cost an arm and a leg, plus the bindings ontop of that.

Hoppy11
06-24-2008, 06:53 PM
O'Brien, CWB, pretty much everything is good. Liquid Force.

Check http://www.barts.com and http://www.overtons.com. They have really good guides on what boards are good for you too.

I would seriously go to http://www.mastercraft.com or any of the other boat companies I mentioned and try to find a dealer because they know this stuff inside and out and no offence to your i/o dealer but it just isn't their stuff.

badlandsrox
06-25-2008, 10:38 PM
well in terms of wakeboarding, i think i may just stick with my board after realizing how much a new one will cost, and just upgrade bindings (presently it only has wake sandals on it, and if you have ever wakeboarded with them you know that the only thing they are good for is when you have a bunch of people who are just being towed all with different sized feet. They do not keep your feet secure very well, and allow for alot of movement, so hopefully just new bindings will make it better... and cheaper