PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion?

vikingshadow
06-23-2008, 09:12 AM
I was watching Youtube today and one video I saw inspired me to write this post.

1. Do you think something is happening to paintball now?

2. Is it a good something or bad something?

3. Do you think it's dying off or getting stronger?

4. Does the paintball community actually support itself, or is it tearing itself apart in the struggle to be tough and look "agg"?

As always, I have a definite opinion on these questions, but I'm looking at getting our minds working and some GOOD debates going - liven up the place, of course!

Critical
06-23-2008, 09:29 AM
I had a huge vike-like post written up, I deleted the whole thing. Yes, something is happening, I think it revolves around the fact that paintball has become a business now, instead of what is was before. This is tearing apart the community as it fractures into haters/supporters.

Personally, as a player who is firmly planted as a rec player, all this nonsense they are spewing makes me want to leave the community and just play.

irishwarrior
06-23-2008, 09:43 AM
:yeahthat: I personally, think that people have lost the "spirit of the game", as it were and are turning into thugs (read: agg).

SpyderMan723
06-23-2008, 10:24 AM
I had a huge vike-like post written up, I deleted the whole thing. Yes, something is happening, I think it revolves around the fact that paintball has become a business now, instead of what is was before. This is tearing apart the community as it fractures into haters/supporters.

Personally, as a player who is firmly planted as a rec player, all this nonsense they are spewing makes me want to leave the community and just play.

I agree with critical on this one.. paintball is turning into more of a business than a fun, sport. I wasn't around for when it first started.. but I know that at one point, players had a different mentality about the sport. They weren't thinking like... oh he bonus balled me so im going to shoot a whole hopper at him.. they just.. had fun and weren't as competitive as todays players.

deano 177
06-23-2008, 12:16 PM
I am just a "walk on" at the local field. I have a few core guys that I play with but not enough to get a team going consistently. I find that it is tough to play in a pick up game against the home team and usually find myself going 3 on 1 at the end. It doesn't bother me because the home team guys are cool and I try to help them by reffing or cleaning bunkers btwn games. I just keep my gear ready so I can jump in at any time.

What I saw this weekend disgusts me to no end. I just came off the field and was reloading my gear. Our "Home" team was playing another group of guys who are about the same "level" competion wise. The "Others" have a bad rep of being over shooters, over speed shooters, wipers, gripers and every other poor sportsmanship thing you can think of. Their captain gets a hopper hit off the break and thinks nothing of wiping it. He was in back left can, which is right by where we were sitting. He kept playing and ended up getting sweetly bunkered. After the match when questioned about it, he says that he didn't get hit and that he was having hopper loader trouble, which is why he was messing with it. I saw this junk all day long and did more running while reffing than I did while playing. It just doesn't make sense to me: If you are there to practice, then why are you cheating? What happens when you do that crap in a tourney? They will probably have more than two refs there and will be able to watch better so you will a higher chance of getting caught. Then you get penalties and you'll lose. If it is an honest mistake and you don't feel the hit then that is cool.

Sorry for the rant I just had to vent. I think that type of mentality is what is hurting the sport. Just like 'roids hurt baseball and video cameras have hurt football. Don't cheat. Have some pride. Be a warrior. Have a code of honor.

dillon
06-23-2008, 12:27 PM
ya theres a field out here where ppl to the same thing.Its was at the rec ball field so it was bigger field with one ref and loads of places to hide where the ref cant see you.So it was my first time out there and i was doing pretty good getting 2-3 ppl out on average a game i had electronic gun they had rentals.But there were these guys that wiped to no end!For instance i hit this one guy in the mask hopper and reg at the same time!He popped down wiped it all and shot me out! Worst experience at a field ive ever had and the ref didnt see it so their was nothing i could do about it.He also continued to cheat during the whole time we were their.It really ticks me off when people cant have some fun and play instead of cheating it sucks the fun out for everyone else that just wants to have a good time.

bigred76
06-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I hate people who think that gun hits don't count, especially when they're blindfiring and I lit up their hopper... :dodgy:

LostCause
06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
I was watching Youtube today and one video I saw inspired me to write this post.

Yes I do, I see more of the industry going more into rec/scenario ball, where 90% of us are :D

Well both....its great that Compaines are trying to make better, and at tiems cheaper equipment. Though yall may complain when compaines are buying others, builds it into a mainstream market, and happens everywhere else.

Tourny ball (no matter how fun it is to play), isnt apealling to outsiders, specaily parents, cause you see how shot up the people get. Though if more coverage went to the sceaniro, or maybe even rec part, you woudl see a increase? Thoguh in my oppion its getting stronger, we all hit bumps, and its up for the vetran players to step up and be role models...

4. Does the paintball community actually support itself, or is it tearing itself apart in the struggle to be tough and look "agg"?
Once again, this is where im torn, I see some great Players, (like ones who have helped me out, by teaching me better technique, or how to keep gear better/cleaner) and i try to get people involved with our sport all the time (speacaily girls, I just don't see a lot...:() and anybody who even has a intrest I'll help them out if i can. Though I see this alot (particulary when a father/son combo go. Though I have also see the (insert other name)/jerks, who light kids up for no reason, or the 12 year olds using their parents money to go get Ego's, and then never take care of them! that just drives me up the wall, then they go and say everyone elses gun sucks (yeah my piolt acs aint the greatest, but its what I have, and I get a kick for shotting them out by just walking the trigger while they are raamping) sorry for the rant

As always, I have a definite opinion on these questions, but I'm looking at getting our minds working and some GOOD debates going - liven up the place, of course!

so....um...yeah....

Drefish99
06-23-2008, 02:57 PM
I think people have forgotten that paintball is supposed to be fun. Fun for everyone. Not just the guy shooting people at 15bps. It isn't fun for a new member already scared to get hit for the first time to get hit 15 more times right after that.

Want to help grow our sport? Help a new person out on the field or make them feel welcome. Don't overshoot people that are new and just show them that paintball is fun.

I have seen way too many kids that no longer want to play because their first time out some guy decided to play like it was a tournament and own everyone on the field. Way to show off your skills on people that don't even know what they are doing.

nastystankweed
06-23-2008, 04:24 PM
I really cant say for you guys because i live in Guatemala. what I can say for me is that I started playing paintball April 07 and I started off with an mr1, I wasnt the greatest player neither was my 12 year old brother and everyone at that field was great to us.

There are only 20 players who take it seriously and play paintball as their main sport and they left a great impression and made us love this sport.
Any issue I ever had they helped me without even thinking of it. The older guys tought us how to play and I have so much fun im there every sunday 11-5. Now that i know a little bit more about paintball thanks to Checha( the field owner, he plays every chance he can and even though he doesnt make that much money off of us expierienced players but, he always tries to bring new air bunkers in and make it a better expierience for us) Team Percast, Team Ravens, Team Armagedon, all of you guys on Spyder Forums and all the refs who have become great friends of mine, I try to help as many people as I can.

I've even made my own team( Young gunz) and what I try to enphasise with all my players is to keep it clean and just have fun thats why we are out here anyways.

Sure you will get the hotheaded noobs but, it doesnt take long for them to stop that crap attitude.

I have also met some of my best friends throught this sport and I am extremely thankfull for that.

SideSwipe226
06-23-2008, 10:02 PM
um...did you happen to watch the techpb videos?

vikingshadow
06-23-2008, 10:41 PM
um - no. I don't care for the techpb videos much because I don't agree with some (read most) of his viewpoints. His "help" videos don't help me much since I already know the stuff he's talked about and I agree that his reviews are more cosmetic reviews and less substance... But mainly, it's his attitude and cussing that turn me off the most. I'm not prudish, but I don't think it's necessary to insert the f bomb in every sentence to get taken seriously or to get your point across.

But, since I don't want to focus on him...No, actually what I saw was this kid (who actually seemed quite thoughtful) who asked these questions and it made me think a bit. So, do you have an answer for us?

SideSwipe226
06-24-2008, 12:29 PM
well, i do think something is happening. i havent been in it that long so i probably dont have as much experience. i dont have much to look back to, to see if its changing. i feel as thought its becoming more commercial, and its growing. but its growing towards those "agg" players though. people dont seem to play for fun anymore.

SpyderMan723
06-24-2008, 12:33 PM
all I know is... I have fun and I will always have fun playing paintball.

DFSniper
06-24-2008, 01:39 PM

1) the sport has always been in motion. its grows every day, in almost every way

2) both. increase in awareness and players, but the companies are ruining the sport.

3) stronger

4) honestly, that "agg" phase was SO 2k5... i think its all behind us now, we're just left with the smack talk.

cyberthrasher_706
06-24-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't know, I think, depending on your area, there's still alot of "agg" around. One of my good friends (kinda used loosely in this one) is so whiny and instilled with the thought that everything has to go his way, he just rips the fun out of every game. If me or his fiance get out he starts yelling and screaming, belittling her and just ruining all the fun. All this even when we just held our own with just the 3 of us against 6-10 other people shooting full auto (we all shoot semi/mechanical), so there's really nothing to get upset about. So, the rest of us have just decided not to even take him out and play anymore, which sucks because that means that his fiance won't be aloud to go, but I won't get started on that. There's alot of people like that around here. He doesn't even like playing outs cuz that means he doesn't get to play anymore (his words). I think I lost my point. There's people who are in it for fun and sport at the same time, which is where I think most of us are, and then there's people who just want competition and don't care one bit about fun, regardless of how much they say they do. Smack talk doesn't really bother me that much, as long as everyone lets it go afterward.

SideSwipe226
06-24-2008, 10:00 PM
eh, i could do without the smack talk.

LostCause
06-25-2008, 06:59 AM
you have it in every sport sadly, it sucks....but playing with friends and smack talk is always intresting cause it doesnt matter in the end.!

vikingshadow
06-25-2008, 08:14 AM
You know, I hear that all the time, but I have to respectfully disagree with it.

I played sports my whole life - baseball, basketball, football, softball, track, paintball, etc. I even played baseball in college (for a short time - long story) and then intramurals... I NEVER heard the smack talk that I hear in paintball. If it's that way in sports now, I'm disappointed in your coaches for allowing it!

By smack talk, I mean cutting down the other team (within earshot of said team - everyone does that in pep rallies, on the bus, etc. but usually not around that other team), calling them names, cussing them out, acting like poopy heads with bad attitudes, etc.

I have to amend my answer to these questions by saying that SPORTSMANSHIP is severly lacking in our sport, and if what everyone is saying (it happens in all sports) it's severly lacking in every sport!

bigred76
06-25-2008, 12:03 PM
I have a bad tongue, and I admit it. I'll be yelling things at the other team the whole while I'm playing. Offensive things? Not really, just yelling at them about their form, paint consumption, and anything else that they could do better. Heck, I get into every game I get into, just ask Hossy! LOL!

Rec ball is just not serious enough for me to start ripping people apart for getting me out, unless they were doing something against the rules to get to that point (I.E., gun hits don't count BS...)... In which case I'll call myself out and wait for the game to be done before confronting them with a paper print out of the field's rules, with the specific rules for elimination highlighted. Then I roll my eyes and walk away, there are too many dip****s there to get worked up about.:shrug:

applesauce
06-25-2008, 01:54 PM
if anyone says 'agg' or any other prepubescent phrase similar to that from this post forward, im going to murder you!

bigred76
06-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Aggsauce? :dodgy:

vikingshadow
06-25-2008, 03:06 PM
if anyone says 'agg' or any other prepubescent phrase similar to that from this post forward, im going to murder you!

Isn't that the new Agg way of saying, "Please don't say that word because it will annoy me and everyone else and it really shows that you're in the pre-pubescent stages of your lifespan? If you want to be taken seriously please speak in the standard acceptable fashion. Thank you very much and I truly hope you have a great day!"????

:dodgy:

Hehehehehehe!

DFSniper
06-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Aggsauce? :dodgy:

aggro???

STRIKEFIRST
06-25-2008, 03:24 PM

Sauce...

You are A G G - A - L I C I O U S !!!

STRIKEFIRST
06-25-2008, 03:43 PM
I can't speak for all over the country but here there is a big change in the sport.

There seems to be a swing among players and business owners toward milsim/scenario due to cost...stores aren't even stocking high or even mid end markeres. Order only.

The cost of 200 gallons of paint in the air has caught up with Michigans terrible economy.

I believe the rise in our sport to a format (tourney ball) that can be looked at by people out side the paintball community as a legitimate sport and not just weekend warriors, spurred an industry driven by people out to make a buck. People that really care more about their egos and personal domination than the sport itself. Advancement and innovation that push the sport of paintball as a whole (scenario and tourney) in a positive direction has been replaced by rip off artists pushing garbage with a popular name.

These same "Business Men" also sold out the integrity of our sport down the drain and target immature and irresponsible teens and young adults with slogans and products that would make a sailor blush.

Our sport on it's own is finding it's way back to it's roots. A good time with friends, sportsmanship and maybe even a few bragging rights.

cyberthrasher_706
06-25-2008, 06:31 PM
immature and irresponsible teens and young adults I think that's the biggest issue in my area. Not that all of them are like that, but there are alot of em. We're always talking about how maturity and responsibility are important in this game, and I just don't see enough of it. We got people running through the woods shooting animals just to test there guns, then they wonder why there's hardly anywhere left, outside of tribal and private land, where we're aloud to play.

slim and shady
06-26-2008, 06:42 PM
well I know this post is gonna probably draw alot of negative attention from alot of members here but is my opinion, and since we are on the kick of sportsmenship and respect I expect this post to be treated as such.

We talk about going back to our routs how friendly the game way ect. When you think back to the early ballin days most of it was tactical woodsball. Low Bps shootouts and alot more comrodery and fun. Then the tourny scean eventually come along. To me that was the turning point and paintball took a sour dive. even today it cannot be disputed that woodsball and scenario play are far more friendlier then tourny ball. There are lumps of corse in all of paintball regardless of style but I honestly feel there is alot less with woods and scenario.
tournyball come in and continually progressed brining along with it a very poor aditudes and sporting catchy slogans like "Contract killa" that can only help hype up the ego's of overly agressive players. Those players who usually attempt to show there skills on players that have never played before.

I play at many corses here in Canada, and I have never come across such poor sportsmen ship. I belive that a large part of that is due to the fact that if I can I avoid the tourny scean all together and only frequent the woodsball and scenario leagues. any time I end up near the tourny scean its allways the same garbage. So again allthough its not a popular opinion I stand by it. Paintball doesnt have a problem, tournament ball has a problem.

codymm1014
06-26-2008, 11:47 PM
I think I understand where everyone is coming from, but I think I see it differently. To me, paintball is in the growing pains stage of life. Nothing is going particularly well, but I think that the sport as a whole will grow out of it.

Honestly, I think this is a necessary stage for paintball to become a larger sport. You guys talk about kids calling themselves agg and having poor sportsmanship. Think about how bad it is in other mainstream sports. I think that paintball turning to a business in the long run will help paintball. The fact that money is involved gets it closer to being like other sports. Sure some companys will go out of business... But I think that soon, it will turn around stronger than it ever was.

Just my small insignificant opinion. I could be completely wrong. Especially when its 2 in the morning!!

bigred76
06-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Well Slim, I'm not going to call you a lier and that you're wrong. You're not, far from it! I am unfortunately gifted with aggressiveness, and it is a struggle for me to keep myself in check on the field. I manage to do it, and I personally expect all the others to as well. It's bull **** that they think that they can get away with it because their momma's bought them their fancy Ego's and ****. I've worked hard for all my gear (all 12 guns with the rest to go with them), and I am saddened that paintball has turned like this. People seem to think that the more money you dump into it (just like a business), the better you will be. That attitude is what is spoiling speedball, not the style of play itself. Speedball used to be a very respectable part of paintball, and then came the cheaters, ramping, and the open disregard for another human being. By that I mean Chris Lasoya and his ****ishness about the "execution," Speedy2 boards, and the PSP/NXL. Yeah, I'm picking on the leagues. They bring into the minds of young players that it's OK to use those modes outside of the tournament scene (I have no idea why), and it pisses me off. I've had a long day at work and it's late for me here too, so I'm just going to stop there, although I could keep ranting about the idiots we deal with in this fine sport.

STRIKEFIRST
06-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Well Slim, I'm not going to call you a lier and that you're wrong. You're not, far from it! I am unfortunately gifted with aggressiveness, and it is a struggle for me to keep myself in check on the field. I manage to do it, and I personally expect all the others to as well. It's bull **** that they think that they can get away with it because their momma's bought them their fancy Ego's and ****. I've worked hard for all my gear (all 12 guns with the rest to go with them), and I am saddened that paintball has turned like this. People seem to think that the more money you dump into it (just like a business), the better you will be. That attitude is what is spoiling speedball, not the style of play itself. Speedball used to be a very respectable part of paintball, and then came the cheaters, ramping, and the open disregard for another human being. By that I mean Chris Lasoya and his ****ishness about the "execution," Speedy2 boards, and the PSP/NXL. Yeah, I'm picking on the leagues. They bring into the minds of young players that it's OK to use those modes outside of the tournament scene (I have no idea why), and it pisses me off. I've had a long day at work and it's late for me here too, so I'm just going to stop there, although I could keep ranting about the idiots we deal with in this fine sport.

I have yet to buy an aftermarket board...except for my T board and that was to add eyes only...I would love for all leagues to go back to a capped non ramped only what your fingers can do semi only...and a LOW cap...MWAHAHAHAHAHAH...caffeine...the choice of tired parents everwhere!

deano 177
07-01-2008, 10:34 AM
I played that big game at camp blanding this weekend and the cheaters were ever present. Guys shooting uncapped ramping on 14 year old kids with a-5s who were out there with their moms, stuff like that. It was terrible. I shot guys and instead of leaving the field they just went behind a building, wiped off and joined another group. I actually saw refs cheating for guys. Where is the honor, sportsmanship and integrity of scenario players that slim speaks of? IDK. I did have one guy show me his marker after I tagged him with a sweet shot. I thought that was really cool.

slim and shady
07-01-2008, 08:58 PM
I cant speak how the game is played everywere Deano maby the US is just full of cheeters. I have never came across that garbage up here in Canada, and I play on alot of different (Legal) corses. But like i said in my previouse post you will never fully be rid of it regardless of the style you play. I dont think you or anyone else would argue that there is alot les BS in Scenario or woodsball then Tourny play.

Ace24
07-01-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm agg

bigred76
07-01-2008, 11:16 PM
the US is just full of cheeters.

:nunu: Coming from one who can't spell "Chief".... :nunu:

Just kidding.... maybe.... http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/bigred76/Kingman%20Site%20Stuff/30a6b0e1.gif

slim and shady
07-02-2008, 07:46 AM
^LOL expected a shot from you sooner Red was startin to think you softend up!
But on a second note better change the spelling of that hey.

SpyderMan723
07-02-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm agg

you're not agg, you're chicken wang is!:lol:

bigred76
07-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Hahaha, I just take my time nowadays, as I said in Flame Therapy... Not enough hours online to do much else! :( I guess I am getting soft, I'm just so tired of idiocy and people who don't talk good Engrish nowadays that I just am starting to tune it out... I am happy that you rectified it, though! :D

SpyderMan723
07-03-2008, 06:09 AM
When I play, for the most part I treat everyone respectfully. But theres always that one bonusballer/******* that will ramp your face off..But when the newer players do sometimes piss me off. ex: Dead player walks in front of my line of fire as I shoot at someone....LIKE WTF MATE!?!!?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

spyderfan4271
07-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Speedball has really hurt new growth. You wouldn't let your 12 year old standing in a batting box with Randy Johnson pitching. So why would a parent want there child get shot by a field tourney wannabe shooting 25bps. This guy with a angel shot me in the head after the game was over. Some spray and pray players are out of control. It use to be if you shot some more then 3 times it was overshooting and you got thrown out of the game. I get tired of guys saying it's them not the marker, then put in semi-auto mode when playing rec or new players. I have my vs2 in semi most of the time until I have to defend myself against a higher end markers. What is proven by splattering a kid with a rental gun while in 3 round burst.